advertisement

Trump Part 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaius

pfm Member
Jeff Flake (sen) quits; giving a damming speech on the Trump WH.

Also Bob Corker (sen) has been very open describing the disaster and his concern of this President.

The wagons may be circling to end this menace.

If GOP senators quit and alt right candidates fill their vacancies, I'm less sure the remaining senators will have the balls to take any action, if they haven't got them by now.

The question is - how much better is President Pence ?

Or I would ask those who don't like Theresa May whether they would be happy if she quit and John Redwood became PM?

Pence is a corporate tool and a religious nut, but still I think him unlikely to blow up the world, and would prefer him just for that.

If GOP senators quit and alt right candidates fill their vacancies, I'm less sure the remaining senators will have the balls to take any action, if they haven't got them by now.

This is Steve Bannon's objective; and a very scary notion.

All well and good, but can a madman like Trump be stopped? I have my doubts. Hit him and he hits back harder.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whilst the Trump part 10 has closed and we are on to recent events, I'm going to post the last comment from Jack Barron which I think is salient:

Quote:
Originally Posted by notaclue View Post
They should have listened to Tony Schwartz. He knew. https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...iter-tells-all
Mmm. Interesting article.

I like what Schwartz says about ghostwriting Trump's The Art of The Deal:

“I put lipstick on a pig,” he said. “I feel a deep sense of remorse that I contributed to presenting Trump in a way that brought him wider attention and made him more appealing than he is.” He went on, “I genuinely believe that if Trump wins and gets the nuclear codes there is an excellent possibility it will lead to the end of civilization.”

"If he were writing “The Art of the Deal” today, Schwartz said, it would be a very different book with a very different title. Asked what he would call it, he answered, “The Sociopath.”

Pence is a corporate tool and a religious nut, but still I think him unlikely to blow up the world, and would prefer him just for that.

The potential for nuclear response to twitter content is becoming a surprisingly useful grading scale for US presidents.

PS Right from the get go I saw Trump for exactly what he is (narcissistic sociopath with very little intellect or maturity) but his recent behaviour is surprising even me. I can’t imagine he can last the presidential term.

Don,

Yeah, one more year of reverse maturity and he'll be wearing diapers. I just hope Trump shits himself before he screws us.

Joe

Watch him speak 20 or more years ago.
Not the most eloquent, but at least he could string two coherent sentences together.
Compare that to today where he can barely get through one, and as far as coherent, not so much.
At this point he an barely read the teleprompter.
He is clearly well past the beginning of mental decline

I agree, they're delivering the party to Bannon and Trump on a silver platter.

Decent man that Jeff Flake. But unfortunate name as 'we' needed him to stay and fight against dotard.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Vaguely along those lines, an interesting column from the NYT's David Brooks:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/26/...lick&contentCollection=Opinion&pgtype=article

The unpalatable fact is that Trump has won - he and Bannon are now the Republican Party, which, although it is in denial, has, like Esau in the Biblical account, sold its birthright for a bowl of soup (or tax cuts in its case). It is, in effect, an abject surrender, a complete abrogation of its principles. Abe Lincoln would almost certainly be tossed out of this party.

Perhaps time for a third party? After all, the Republicans replaced the Whigs in US politics. Time for something to replace the Republicans?

Perhaps time for a third party? After all, the Republicans replaced the Whigs in US politics. Time for something to replace the Republicans?

This is needed, but the Republicans are just smart enough, just, to not do this. Splitting the GOP would hand the House and Senate to Democratic majorities.

Instead, as with Corker and Flake, one by one the (relatively) sensible GOP members will erode away and cede the party to the loonies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back