advertisement

The Best Audio Engineers

Chaps

So you seem to think by popular consensus that the BEST audio engineer in the world is either Peter Belt or LW.

Priceless.

Regards

Mick

well spotted, Harry.

Lets hope the FBI are watching, I'm sure they could do with someone of such gargantuan insight.

Does one have to be a real engineer to qualify, or just lead an audio company and have it assumed by the public that you are. A number of the aformentioned are not real engineers.

HK

The entire question is frankly stupid as there are too many judgemental factors, so I am not nominating anyone.

Having said that, Roy George is responsible for the design of products which have had more impact on the Hifi world that the combined talents of the two individuals that seem to be attracting the votes.

Regards

Mick

Mick
You've missed a lot while out in Spain. The Peter Belt nominations may just be tongue in cheek!

Any votes for Roy Gandy? Gandy is an Engineer (Mechanical I think).

The RB300 was a landmark in casting technlogy in the audio world. This piece of engineering has kept the company going for over 3 decades. That says something.

zener wrote:

*Les W
not only for his skills as an engineer , but also for his openess in passing on information and helping other bodges like myself , get the best from their HiFi for minimum expense.*

That's funny. Because I was also very open and generous in passing on information and helping other "bodges" like yourself on PFM get the best from their HiFi for minimum expense (-zero- expense, actually). However, it seems I wasn't quite as welcomed as Les for my efforts. Instead, I was pelted with barbs, threatened with violence, threatenened with censorship, ridiculed, derided, scorned, mocked and asked to shut my fat trap on several occasions. And that was before anyone actually tried the ideas. If God forbid any of the so-called "bodgers" here were brave or open-minded enough to try the "bodges" and it didn't absolutely rock their world, I would probably have my house firebombed. Somehow, it seems that LesW managed to avoid this kind of hysteria. Hmmm.... what a difference an ideology makes....

bob mccluckie wrote:

*The Peter Belt nominations may just be tongue in cheek!*

No, they weren't. And these nominations are not restricted to conventional audio designs. It isn't the Nobel prize.

BradNad wrote:

*Any votes for Roy Gandy? Gandy is an Engineer (Mechanical I think).*

Fine, one vote for Roy Gandy here. But not for his plinths, and not for the fact that he doesn't believe in VTA. Another vote for Peter Belt for his pioneering extension of the isodynamic speaker principle, who's only competition at the time was the electrostatic Quad ESL.

"Somehow, it seems that LesW managed to avoid this kind of hysteria."

There is a difference here. LesW makes things that hundreds of people enjoy everyday but all you make is make wind and piss.

Interesting. A Google search for "isodynamic speaker principle" yielded exactly zero hits. Talk about your far-reaching impact...

Not sure if it's cheating or not, but I vote George Fullerton and Leo Fender (although Leo wasn't an engineer).

I took this in the manner of light heartedness , its scary how uptight many internet forum users are. But Les is the only audio engineer I actually know and have met, I have his products and they are rather fine , so he does get my vote in a light hearted sort of way.
In reality its Edison every time.
PS Brunel was pretty good , alot of his stuff made a large amount of noise

kasperhauser wrote:

*Interesting. A Google search for "isodynamic speaker principle" yielded exactly zero hits. Talk about your far-reaching impact...*

Talk about not reading the initial post... I went into specific details about how nominees don't have to have "far-reaching impact"; and the reasons for that. Just for people like you, who feel a need to throw out negative criticisms like this. How sad that your knowledge of our world is entirely centered around the Google search engine...

trailblaiser wrote:

*"Somehow, it seems that LesW managed to avoid this kind of hysteria."

There is a difference here. LesW makes things that hundreds of people enjoy everyday but all you make is make wind and piss.*

Excuse me, but did I insult you at all? If not, then there's no call for you to insult me, so watch your tone. And be mindful of your quotes as well. You took a quote of mine completely out of context. Putting it back in its proper context, you'll see that I was talking about helping other tweakers ("bodgers", as I believe they are called here). That's what Les was being given credit for. I never made any claims about "making things". But since that's your criticism, what exactly do you do for "bodgers" on PFM, or what do you make in audio that "hundreds of people enjoy"? Or is this just your own "wind & piss" that you felt the need to share?

Yep Faraday , thats the bloke , without him we are facked.
Hey you guys cant you spot a troll.......

Hey you guys cant you spot a troll.......
a1521i2_LOTR-3_w.jpg

Douglass Self (England)
At least some one it trying to develop the ?blameless amlpifier? and not rely on Audio snake Oil and Fairy dust to engineer an amplifiers sound.

Blameless and soul-less.

Give me fairy dust any day :)

Andy.

P.S. I vote for Julian Vereker. His engineering was unusually thorough, in particular when it comes to frequently overlooked and crucially important details. It's what people like D.Self lack, real 'wood for trees' stuff.

advertisement

Back