advertisement

Has What Hi Fi fallen out with Rega?

Ronaudio

Ronaudio
Now that highly respected mag, What Hi Fi (Stop it. I can see you smirking) has given glowing reviews to the majority of Rega products over the years, though with notable exceptions e.g. the Apollo R c d player (wonder how they'll review the soon to be released replacement, in the new 'rounded' casing?)
But I've been surprised at What Hi Fi reviews of two speakers in the range- the RX1's and the RX5's, which both received mediocre reviews. Elsewhere these speakers have received generally favourable reviews. Now I don't have much respect for reviews, but they can provide a short list for auditioning.
More confusing is that, during the review, when they refer to the speakers' various features and attributes, they appear to praise them (particularly regarding the RX5's) and yet the conclusion seems to contradict this lead up to the conclusion?
Perhaps the What Hi Fi editor has just decided that they need to be careful not to heap automatic praise on Rega products, and so not to appear biased (as people once claimed with their Marantz/Mission reviews)?

Wh$t Hi-Fi reviews are based on advertising spend so perhaps Rega are cutting back the budget spent there.

Are there many, if any, Rega adverts in the magazine/ website?
Not that there's any connection.....:)

Rega speakers have a much different presentation than anything I've had in my house (I only had the RS3's for a bit). I'd imagine it's a "you like it or you don't" type of product.

I read these reviews as I've been keeping an eye open for secondhand RX1s, but still too new for the price to have dropped low enough for me. Interesting that they said the speakers sounded better with the Rega amp rather than their reference one, since the Rega range is supposed to be designed as giving the best performance with their own equipment, which seems reasonable enough.

never thought that their speakers were winners but they produced a great arm nearly 40 yrs agr and introd many into audio with a great range of t.t. that's their best advert

Maybe there're more array of interesting speakers out there these days? Seller I know says they're good and better than before but they're expensive and up with tough competition.

Just for clarification purposes, Rega have never, in our 43 year history, paid for a single advertisement in any media publication, on line web site, blog or anywhere else for that matter.

I think that may well disappoint some people who would prefer the conspiracy theories and hopefully proves that What Hi Fi reviewers are completely independent and free to write as they find and not at all influenced by their advertising department or the spend from audio companies, which is indeed as we would all hope and expect.

Yes, personally, it may be disappointing that What HiFi do not like our loudspeakers, per se, but that's life.

Best,

Paul Darwin
Rega Research.

Just for clarification purposes, Rega have never, in our 43 year history, paid for a single advertisement in any media publication, on line web site, blog or anywhere else for that matter.

There's your problem, couple of double page glossy ads and you'll be well on your way to 5 stars ;)

I think that may well disappoint some people who would prefer the conspiracy theories and hopefully proves that What Hi Fi reviewers are completely independent and free to write as they find and not at all influenced by their advertising department or the spend from audio companies, which is indeed as we would all hope and expect.

Yes, personally, it may be disappointing that What HiFi do not like our loudspeakers, per se, but that's life.

Best,

Paul Darwin
Rega Research.
Aha!!

From the horses mouth, conspiracy is what drives forum sites, doubt anyone will believe you, or should i say, want to believe you, pity, as it's the same with any company, another forum myth that gets knocked around online by intelligent folk??, utter nonsense.

Thanks for at least attempting to put the tin foil hats straight.

sq225917,

Why should they not promote their businesses in any way they see fit ?

I was purely making a point that we have company policy of not paying for advertising in any form and would rather let our dealers and / or distributors be the point of contact for our potential customers for demonstration, sales and installation of our products (where appropriate)

PD

Indeed it is. I've sold (in a past life) Rega products but have never actually owned one. That said, few genuinely UK (rather than a rebadged Chinese operation with a nameplate on a tin shed in Cambridge) hifi manufacturers more worthy of respect IMO.

What's that, 40 years of doing it their way and actually running a viable business? And they get comments about 'buying' reviews? Really?

Sour grapes ��

All the Rega products I've owned have been excellent

Me too, including one that's been in my playback system continuously from 1985 to present.

But I don't get on with Rega transducers, on either end of the system.

Well done Rega that's all I can say. A company that doesn't have hedge fund backing so can't advertise nationwide from day 1, rather they have invested profit into evaluation and improvement and gained fans by actually producing stuff that sounds good rather than just looking good in a glossy advert.

Nice work & respect due.

Have they, everything so far has been humorous, you are reading it that way (as per usual)

You think? Actually it's hard to be clear what you think, given the tortured syntax.

Still, if there's one thing I've learned from several years on hifi fora it's never take anything too seriously. It is, after all, only hifi.

But Roy Gandy remains the only hifi manufacturer who's ever invited me into his swimming pool, so that has to dictate a certain level of respect.

advertisement

Back