advertisement

Elsdon Wonfor Audio LS-25 speaker cables

It's hard not to comment on the difference the LS25 cables make without becoming to pathetically gushing.

They basically give you (well me) more of everything. The treble is extended beautifully without becoming edgy. The midrange richer and with more detail and the bass has more weight.

It's like going from SD to HD in televisions. Quite remarkable.

It has shocked me the difference a mere couple of lengths of cable can make.

Thanks Robby. I'm away for now for work so can't get to plug mine in until next week :-(

I have a set of the LS-5 cables, not the LS-25, so at least a report on this thread of both for those looking.

Hi,

was wondering if there was a minimum required length to use LS-25 with naim equipment (for naca5 3.5m minimum is advised)?

Thx

Hi,

was wondering if there was a minimum required length to use LS-25 with naim equipment (for naca5 3.5m minimum is advised)?

Thx

What amp are you using? If its any of the black classic series then this is less of a requirement. I was about to pull the trigger on some LS-25 to hook up to my NAP 200. I was going to go with 3m as (a) the inductance rating of 3m of LS-25 would have been slightly more than the equivalent of 3.5m of NACA5 (which is ideal - incidentally 2.5m of LS-25 was just a smidgen under the NACA5/3.5m rating); and (b) 2.5m would have been a touch too tight in my set-up.

Basically, as long as you are not going to insanely small lengths (e.g. 1.5 to 2m) then you'll be fine. If you are thinking of 2.5m-3.0m you will be fine.

The only reason I didn't proceed is because I've gone with the KEF LS50W's. The LS-25's seem to be held in very high regard.

Thx. I have a NAP 300. Although I could go with 1.5m (my system is just between the speakers), I planned to go with 2.5m, but maybe it is worth pushing to 3m. Only concern will be how to fit extra length as LS25 does look quite stiff.

Thx. I have a NAP 300. Although I could go with 1.5m (my system is just between the speakers), I planned to go with 2.5m, but maybe it is worth pushing to 3m. Only concern will be how to fit extra length as LS25 does look quite stiff.

Give Mark Grant a call. Very responsive, top bloke and he will advise on the relative stiffness of the cable. It won't be anywhere near as stiff as the NAC A5 and with a bit of decent cable dressing you will have it sorted. You will be fine with 2.5m. I think it was within 95% of the equivalent NACA5 3.5m inductance. Capacitance is also very similar to the NACA5 and that is far more important to get right. Remember to order jumper links if you need them!

I'm now 10 days in the LS 25 and all I can say is, it really doesn't sound like anything. Now the caveat that comes with that is that, it might not suit a particular system depending on what else is within the chain. I'd certainly recommend people trying it and see if it suits and in terms of the expense, my experience is that it's an upgrade on par with changing a pretty major piece of kit.
Hi,can i ask what in your mind,the kind of system,sound this cable might not suit ?cheers,mat

The cable isn't stiff in any way at all, its very ply-able in fact. I have 3.5m pair, the SuperUniti is next to the left speaker and the extra cable on the left channel is simply laid in one long loop, then back up to the amp.

Hi,can i ask what in your mind,the kind of system,sound this cable might not suit ?cheers,mat

I'd be careful about using it in a system that is tipped strongly towards either end of the listening spectrum. What I mean by that is, I doubt whether the LS 25 acts as a panacea for the rest of a system. You will hear, in my experience, exactly what each part of your chain does.

The two systems I would love to hear people's thoughts on are with regards to the LS 25 cables are, a classic quad driving big Tannoys and some big Jap beast driving NS1000s. For me personally, they are my two what one might term as "control systems" that have been around for decades and are pretty much, "known quantities". That is, people with those setups tend to know their systems inside out and can spot a difference from the word go, be it an improvement or otherwise.

To my ears, the LS 25 simply doesn't have a sonic signature of its' own. As I have said, the downside of that could be that, in certain systems, it would expose a particular bias towards say ,the system being very forward or, a tad over ripe and lacking in detail.

I don't profess to have a vast experience of speaker cables. Since 1981 I've probably owned only half a dozen sets and tried out another half dozen. Of that half a dozen a couple were definitely counted as esoteric in terms of price and they simply didn't bring about enough of a palpable change, to my ears anyway, to justify their cost. There was always a trade off I felt wasn't really worth the fiscal leap.

In summary, really all I can say is that, it is a definite case of "suck it and see", I'm well happy and have no buyer's regret over the purchase at all. Just be prepared to hear your system as it is, rather than what the incumbent speaker cables add/subtract to it. Maybe that could be the sales pitch. "The speaker cable for those who hate speaker cables" :D

That's pretty much what I eluded to too, think I said 'if you want to hear the two components either end of the cable at their best, this cable lets that happen'.

The best anti-cable...evva.

I'd be careful about using it in a system that is tipped strongly towards either end of the listening spectrum. What I mean by that is, I doubt whether the LS 25 acts as a panacea for the rest of a system. You will hear, in my experience, exactly what each part of your chain does.

The two systems I would love to hear people's thoughts on are with regards to the LS 25 cables are, a classic quad driving big Tannoys and some big Jap beast driving NS1000s. For me personally, they are my two what one might term as "control systems" that have been around for decades and are pretty much, "known quantities". That is, people with those setups tend to know their systems inside out and can spot a difference from the word go, be it an improvement or otherwise.

To my ears, the LS 25 simply doesn't have a sonic signature of its' own. As I have said, the downside of that could be that, in certain systems, it would expose a particular bias towards say ,the system being very forward or, a tad over ripe and lacking in detail.

I don't profess to have a vast experience of speaker cables. Since 1981 I've probably owned only half a dozen sets and tried out another half dozen. Of that half a dozen a couple were definitely counted as esoteric in terms of price and they simply didn't bring about enough of a palpable change, to my ears anyway, to justify their cost. There was always a trade off I felt wasn't really worth the fiscal leap.

In summary, really all I can say is that, it is a definite case of "suck it and see", I'm well happy and have no buyer's regret over the purchase at all. Just be prepared to hear your system as it is, rather than what the incumbent speaker cables add/subtract to it. Maybe that could be the sales pitch. "The speaker cable for those who hate speaker cables" :D
Thanks mate,you put it in a good way ,.To me its like tq b,That cable i would suggest to somebody with maybe a over bright system,because in my system it tamed it right down ,i was not looking for this to happen,but the good bits were good .How much for 1.5 mtr each side ?.might have a little go .Thanks ,mat

Best ring Mark Grant for an exact price. I'd recommend perhaps a min 2m for future system adventures. Best to have a little to much than to little; buy once, buy right.

It's £260 for a stereo metre then £150 per metre afterwards. They come with specific terminals that are an intrinsic part of the build. Give them a call, they are only too happy to deal with specific enquiries.

There's a chance Mark Grant has already got a 3m pair made up (that were originally meant for me before I cancelled my order) and if so you could have them by the weekend.

Hello all - I am brand new to this (or any) forum and I signed up to add to this thread that I have been following with some interest.
First of all, I don't have a very good system, but lately I have been really enjoying the music that it gives me. I ordered a 1 metre pair of LS-25 cables from Mark about seven weeks ago and they arrived two weeks ago (I think he was on holiday for part of this!). They replace a 1metre set of VDH The Clearwater speaker cables so I was expecting a big improvement.
I decided to go for the speaker cable upgrade after I had purchased a pair of TQ ultra black interconnects which themselves made a massive improvement. Here is my system at the moment: MA Silver RX6 + EW LS-25 + MF A3 Dual Mono + TQ Ultra Black + Denon DCD720ae + AQ jitterbug + AQ crimson + IPad + Tidal.
After 2 weeks of sporadic listening I would go as far as to say that the improvement is night and day. I simply hear more instruments in there, more nuances, more emotion.....more! They must be transmitting every last bit of information out of that lowly Denon DAC, the detail is incredible!
IMO this is as good if not better than a major component upgrade and it clearly does not matter a jot if your components are not hi-end - you still get a major improvement...........now I'm ready to upgrade other components in the knowledge that I will hear the best of them when I do!
Ps. I should add that for the very first track I listened to , I hardly noticed a difference. After that the sound progressively got better and better - you need to give these cables time!

Thanks Megeake2

I have the LS-5 (bought on PFM last week) and finally getting home to try them tonight (long work trip), not the LS-25 you have but hoping they work for me, if they do perform as reported I might just end up upgrading. Replacing NACA5.

advertisement

Back