advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00111000)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The nCores do get quite hot or at least that is what mine does.
I have four used for bi-amping.

How hot is "quite hot"? Are all four in the same enclosure, or separate boxes? Have you checked that there is no oscillation going on?

How hot is "quite hot"? Are all four in the same enclosure, or separate boxes? Have you checked that there is no oscillation going on?
No 2 x nc400 + 2x smps600 in each case. And I would say that they gets just as hot a my old AV receiver.

What do you mean by oscillation in layman terms.

No 2 x nc400 + 2x smps600 in each case. And I would say that they gets just as hot a my old AV receiver.

Any ventilation holes in the enclosure?

What do you mean by oscillation in layman terms.

The nc400's are somewhat sensitive to how they are wired. Bruno was making an issue about how the speaker output terminals are very close to sensitive feedback loop components, so unless the output leads are properly twisted, there is a risk of the input circuits being affected by the output signal. The result would be a high-frequency signal that would be beyond human hearing range, but would cause the amp to continuously put out a fair bit of power (*probably* harmless to the speaker, but could explain the excess heat). Verifying it does require an oscilloscope, unfortunately.

Ncores get barely warm...

That matches my experience.. Driving a pair of Ergo IX and touching the case its slightly warmer than the surrounding air, but not overly hot. And thats after playing music for a while at a good volume.

Wow! This is so exciting. All of these brilliant new products in the pipeline.

I'm just hoping this excellent PFM forum can keep hosting this thread long enough so that all my HiFi kit is eventually from the LakeWest design studio (laboratory).

I try and donate a bit every year to help out TonyL and co. I'm sure everyone here does too...;)

We have been busy working away here - the PCB's for the MDAC2 streamer and DEVDAC have arrived:-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1d6iq4q7d9jw5u1/IMG_3274.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n76lridzfvn6p6t/IMG_3275.JPG?dl=0

Today we placed orders for the components, we are trying to buy as much as we can on SMT reeled stock so we can load these reels onto the PnP machine when it arrives.

Unfortunately, this means ordering reels in 2K, 3K or 5K qtys which has a dramatic impact on the invoice amount...

Hi John

I thought you mentioned some were being done by hand, although it's probably a lot of fiddly work that could be negated! :)

Nice to see some hardware!!! :cool:

Best regards

Paul

Please refresh my memory: what is the order of production when it comes to Detox, Mdac2, Streamer board, Devdac, Vfets, Small amps (referred to within the last few pages)?

I have Detox + Vfets on order.

Streamer PCB

Detox

MDAC2

VFETs'

We are just waiting for the last set of parts to arrive for the first 8 streamer PCB's (they are held up in customs).

By next week we should have the first boards built and a couple of the DEVDAC's.

Devdac layout looks very tidy John. What's the output stage, op-amps?

Simon,

We are using the same headphone driver as we used on the Pro-ject DAC but in dual mono mode (one device per channel).

This and the improved PSU design, and the DEVDAC should sound very good - certainly for the price.

Hi John

I thought you mentioned some were being done by hand, although it's probably a lot of fiddly work that could be negated! :)

This boards will still be mounted by hand, but we are ordering as much on reels as we can afford so we can load the reels onto the machine when it arrives.

(For the hand build boards we can remove components from the reels).

Simon,

We are using the same headphone driver as we used on the Pro-ject DAC but in dual mono mode (one device per channel).

This and the improved PSU design, and the DEVDAC should sound very good - certainly for the price.

Hi John, can the DEVDAC be used later on as a standalone DAC (to be used for example as an office DAC?) I was interested in buying Pro-ject DAC but now DEVDAC sounds tempting.

Cheers

Jarek plans to design a small XMOS daughter board for the DEVDAC so he can use it as a standalone DAC without the streamer PCB - it will require a little DIY Skill (put into an enclosure and mount the front panel) but no soldering will be required.

We only ordered 2 DEVDAC PCB this time around as the design is untested - but we have 8 streamer boards.

Streamer PCB

Detox

MDAC2

VFETs'

We are just waiting for the last set of parts to arrive for the first 8 streamer PCB's (they are held up in customs).

By next week we should have the first boards built and a couple of the DEVDAC's.

John....Please add FDAC to this list!....:eek::eek::eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back