advertisement

Trump Part 9

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you want to use obscene amounts of personal wealth and thanking Fox News hosts as your yardstick of something-or-other it would be hard to top Trump.

Joe

Of course. But any amount of personal wealth, obscene or otherwise, isn't a bar to being a genuine supporter of democracy.

If you want to use obscene amounts of personal wealth and thanking Fox News hosts as your yardstick of something-or-other it would be hard to top Trump.

Joe
Joe, Dore's main criticism of Pelosi is that she's a tired establishment shill who is only interested in serving her donors, like the rest of the corporate Democrats.

With people like her, Schumer, Feinstein and Perez at the helm the Democrats will keep on losing, as will the people who so desperately need the Democrats to start to serve them, as opposed to their donors.

Of course. But any amount of personal wealth, obscene or otherwise, isn't a bar to being a genuine supporter of democracy.

Agreed. But looking around the world a significant percentage of obscene (ie billionaire level) personal wealth tends to use their positions of power to perpetuate and grow that wealth by subverting the political system and the institutions. ie it only needs 1 (or in this case 2) Koch Brothers, Putin, Maduro, Erdogan etc

I agree. Although Bill Gate's isn't a saint, and altruism isn't a satisfactory solution imo, I couldn't help admire his wealth/foundation manoeuvres.

I agree. Although Bill Gate's isn't a saint, and altruism isn't a satisfactory solution imo, I couldn't help admire his wealth/foundation manoeuvres.

Absolutely but even he can't address the root cause of Africa's problems: rapid population growth. In a hard headed sense you could even say he is making that problem worse. :(

That's a good point, and one more reason why in principle I don't like altruism.
Of course government organised assistance can go horribly wrong, but with altruism the 'important' issues are at the whim of the donor.

John,

True dat. I was commenting that Nancy Pelosi being worth a bundle and gushing on Fox News pales next to Trump's billions and billions* and his man love for all things on Fox.

Joe

* He really loves to say beelyeens and beelyeens.

Last edited by a moderator:
altruism is highly undemocratic. in some cases this isn't a big deal, e.g. providing food, medical care, etc. to the needy, in other cases, it is, e.g. setting education policy.

Joe

Thanks for the explanation and my apologies.
You might not be particularly surprised to learn your previous post went completely over my head.

Jacques

J
* He really loves to say beelyeens and beelyeens.

he's the carl sagan of politics.

regarding your other post, our young/millennial posters may not know what bungee jumping is -- like dirty dancing, i suspect it all vanished as patrick swayze's popularity waned.

max: do you and your friends know what dirty dancing is?

vuk.

Vuk,

he's the carl sagan of politics.
I would love a Carl Sagan of politics — for once we'd have light, lucidity and logic at the helm.

Joe

Last edited by a moderator:
I would love a Carl Sagan of politics — for once we'd have light, lucidity and logic at the helm.

just something to consider: i could never imagine carl sagan (or someone like him) getting elected as US president. right from the start, he would be knocked down as not knowing anything about politics or government, yet, we have seen bush and now trump hold the office. how does that make any sense?

vuk.

Russian PM says new US sanctions signal a full-scale trade war against Moscow. Says the measures demonstrate the complete impotence of Trump who has been humiliated by Congress.

He goes on to say Congress will try to remove Trump who he describes as a non-systemic player.

These illegal sanctions also target Iran who have claimed they violate the Iran nuclear deal, Obama's greatest legacy.

All bar Bernie Sanders voted for them on the Democrat side...

There is now nothing between the Democrats and Republicans. All are united in their hatred of Russia and Iran. The Neocons think all their Xmas's have come together.

And most US people don't want this shit at all. They just want a government not beholden to donors but working for them.

I bet Rachel Maddow feels all warm and fuzzy inside. Crooked Hillary might have lost the election but she's winning the war.

US sanctions are 'trade war' on Russia, says PM Medvedev - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-40809715

Russian PM says new US sanctions signal a full-scale trade war against Moscow. Says the measures demonstrate the complete impotence of Trump who has been humiliated by Congress.

He goes on to say Congress will try to remove Trump who he describes as a non-systemic player.

These illegal sanctions also target Iran who have claimed they violate the Iran nuclear deal, Obama's greatest legacy.

All bar Bernie Sanders voted for them on the Democrat side...

There is now nothing between the Democrats and Republicans. All are united in their hatred of Russia and Iran. The Neocons think all their Xmas's have come together.

And most US people don't want this shit at all. They just want a government not beholden to donors but working for them.

I bet Rachel Maddow feels all warm and fuzzy inside. Crooked Hillary might have lost the election but she's winning the war.

US sanctions are 'trade war' on Russia, says PM Medvedev - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-40809715

Propaganda. To mention a few obvious things between Democrats and Republicans, there are the in-progress dismantlings of environmental protection, worker protection, and civil rights protection.

Continued use of Hillary as hate focus could almost be amusing.

Depends. When you say US, are you referring to the people or the President?
Basically the former = no, the later = it would be rude not to.

this thread has triggered a memory of a world cup match in which the german keeper, oliver kahn, was made to look bad by a clever latin american player (though, for the life of me, i can't recall wwho it was -- mixing it up with the 2002 ronaldo finals for some reason). anyhow, the english commentator, instead of prasing the clever goal, immediately laucnched into excuses about how kahn actually made the right choice and that the goal-scorer shot too early and/or to the wrong side. absolutely remarkable, i thought. it just didn't fit the narrative we kept getting flooded with of kahn being the greatest. mixed in, of course, was the usual racism.

it just isn't fair in terms of the natural order of things. how dare these progressives sneak the ball past such an estblished keeper or refuse to back the corrupt democratic party!?

vuk.

this thread has triggered a memory of a world cup match in which the german keeper, oliver kahn, was made to look bad by a clever latin american player (though, for the life of me, i can't recall wwho it was -- mixing it up with the 2002 ronaldo finals for some reason). anyhow, the english commentator, instead of prasing the clever goal, immediately laucnched into excuses about how kahn actually made the right choice and that the goal-scorer shot too early and/or to the wrong side. absolutely remarkable, i thought. it just didn't fit the narrative we kept getting flooded with of kahn being the greatest. mixed in, of course, was the usual racism.

it just isn't fair in terms of the natural order of things. how dare these progressives sneak the ball past such an estblished keeper or refuse to back the corrupt democratic party!?

vuk.
For the umpteenth time, no-one's saying the Democrats are beyond criticism. They clearly aren't.

But plenty of people (me included) dispute the claim they're just as bad as the Republicans. The latter would dismantle Obamacare if they could, whereas the Democrats wanted to improve it (however incrementally). Plus there are the small matters of environmental regulation, workers rights etc already mentioned. The Republicans want to trash the lot.

It's also exasperating to see so many progressives are still fixated on Clinton. She lost, gerroverit! The immediate threat to workers and the environment is Trump and his bunch of far-right Republican nutters so how about the Left focuses all of its energy on fighting that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back