advertisement

Elsdon Wonfor Audio LS-25 speaker cables

A little update for those interested, with regards to run-in:

From what I’ve experienced over the last 24 hours the cables take about 50+ hours continuous use to open up. The differences are subtle but noticeable. On Monday when I installed the LS-25, bass notes and texture that I’d not heard before on very familiar tracks/albums was clearly a pleasure to hear. What’s changes since is there seams to a little more space around the lower register, the mid range seams to be slightly smoother and the highs still relaxed and airy.

Hi Cereal,

Will you be offering special cheap prices for this wire on the end of your 'review' here, like they do on the one you link to at Hi-Fi Answers, or are such fantastic offers only for clients of other sites? Can you do a similar deal if we PM you, or what?

Sorry, don't get you? Why would I be offering anything to you or anyone else??. I am an end user, a consumer, a customer who is sharing some experiences with a decent speaker cable that with a different label to its predecessor, sells for 3x as much. If you need to speak to anyone regarding prices, call Mark Grant or visit his eBay shop.

Hopefully that's clear enough for you... but if not feel free to send me a PM....

Sorry, should have realised you were just a charitable happy customer. Sorry you missed out on the cheap deal via Hi-Fi Answers.

TBH, I didn't even see there was an offer. I bought my 3.5m pair from Mark Grant Cables: https://markgrant.co.uk/speaker-cables/350-elsdon-wonfor-audio-ls-xxv-speaker-cables.html

Some blub and spec from the above website:

The price is for a pair of cables as in the photos.

The Elsdon Wonfor Audio range of cables follow on from Colin Wonfor's previous designs by adding improvements in the noise cancelling / rejection area.

The main design objectives for all the cables are:
•Remove as much common-mode noise as possible from the signal.
•Ensure that the cable itself does not generate any noise / RFI.
•Make the cable as immune as possible to external noise.

These objectives are applied to both Signal level cables (Interconnects / Loudspeaker) and Power cables (Mains)

Technical measurements for a 1 Metre Length of LS-25 speaker cable.
Capacitance 19pf/M
Common mode inductance 16uH/M
Single conductor inductance 6uH/M
Single conductor resistance less than 29mΩ/M
Balance inductance (the effect on the Amp) 1.3uH/M
Open Circuit Resonance 32MHz into no load
Frequency Response DC to 1MHz into 8Ω

The physical size of the cable is 25 mm width x 5 mm height.

Maybe add some pictures, too?

Is it being sold through dealers, or just online? Is there a trade contact I can pass on?

There's a pic on the weblink above. Looks just like TQB ultra TBH...

All I know is they sell though Mark Grant and they are looking to setup international sales networks in the future. If you're in the trade, why not ask them yourself. EWA have a website here you can contract them on: https://www.elsdonwonforaudio.com/

A little update for those interested, with regards to run-in:

From what I’ve experienced over the last 24 hours the cables take about 50+ hours continuous use to open up. The differences are subtle but noticeable. On Monday when I installed the LS-25, bass notes and texture that I’d not heard before on very familiar tracks/albums was clearly a pleasure to hear. What’s changes since is there seams to a little more space around the lower register, the mid range seams to be slightly smoother and the highs still relaxed and airy.

Actually I'll quote myself as being wrong, give them 100+ hours. Still amazes me cables can make such a difference....

In the owners manual of me ProAc SM100s they say it takes a few months for the speakers to reach their optimum condition for critical listening/mixing/judgment... perhaps these designers and manufacturer's shouldn't bother making recommendations like this when all they need to do is refer to self-proclaimed experts and slimy forum sales guys... I remember now why I took a break from PFM for so long.

<moderating>

Tedious thread-crapping removed. Certain dealers should note they can be banned just as easily as anyone else.

In the owners manual of me ProAc SM100s they say it takes a few months for the speakers to reach their optimum condition for critical listening/mixing/judgment... perhaps these designers and manufacturer's shouldn't bother making recommendations like this when all they need to do is refer to self-proclaimed experts and slimy forum sales guys... I remember now why I took a break from PFM for so long.

But speakers are electro-mechanical devices and roll surrounds and cone spiders may well alter in the first few weeks - cables are another matter altogether.

It's not that I don't believe in cable differences, I do - but I've never heard any evidence to support the belief that cables burn in. None of the many ones I have tried have altered at all with the passing of time.

Yes I'm with you on that one and I think no one can claim a measured difference either. But from my experiences with 3 new sets I had here, being VOVOX, HiDiamond & EWA all changed over the first week.

VOVOX (being a pro cable manufacturer too) state their cables change in the first 20 hours and will subtly change thereafter for a longer period.

http://www.vovox.ch/en/home-audio-hifi/faq/ extracted below:

In general: yes. However, the necessary run-in time is quite variable for the different cable types.

Upon our point of view, the reason for this run-in effect is still unclear and not understood. Nevertheless, after some time of use we detect clear changes in sound quality, such as:
•better spatial resolution, especially for instruments and voices in the center
•perfect sound balance
•more naturalness
•more even sound pattern

break-in times:
•vocalis: long break-in time (min. 20 hours), great effect
•textura / textura fortis: these sound conductors are pretreated in a specific process before they leave our factory, but allow 1 hour of „warming up“ for perfect sound. Moreover, the result further improves during the first 100 - 200 hours of use.

advertisement

Back