advertisement

Kef ls50W

Wireless app
Lets me install my initial speaker preferences ok
But won't allow further access,displays error code..... same thing with both iPhone iPad and Mac mini.
Gave up buggering about and just listened to them instead :)
I previously owned passive ls50's paired with modwight and Mcintosh amplification
So the comparison will be interesting.

I haven't had that issue, using various Macs and iPads, someone mentioned that their sub settings changed indiscriminately though.
Just comparing the passive to the active LS50's as we speak.
Keith

I haven't had that issue, using various Macs and iPads, someone mentioned that their sub settings changed indiscriminately though.
Just comparing the passive to the active LS50's as we speak.
Keith

Any measurements and thoughts yet Keith ?

Apart the crap mobile app I'm pleasantly surprised with how they are performing taking their price point into consideration.

I really like them, for 'most' listeners, in U.K. sized domestic rooms they are probably all you would ever need , especially as adding a subwoofer is so straightforward.
For £2k they are imho an absolute bargain.
Keith

I really like them, for 'most' listeners, in U.K. sized domestic rooms they are probably all you would ever need , especially as adding a subwoofer is so straightforward.
For £2k they are imho an absolute bargain.
Keith

I agree,Haven't bothered with the sub so far, maybe a plan over the weekend
Cricket first though:)

TBH I'm little perplexed by the lack of comment by the trade in general regarding the new actives compared to the almost universal acclaim the Passive's have received over the last couple of years.
I guess the traditional "audiophile's" will always poo poo the actives.

I intend to experiment with Subs when the Dutch & Dutch 8C's arrive, their designer recommends using subs not to add bass, the 8Cs are already flat at 20Hz but to cancel room modes.
Actives don't allow amp or cable 'upgrades' they have never been popular with retailers, or Hi-Fi mags , the 'pro audio' magazines Sound on Sound for example is far more positive .
Keith

I know Phil Ward who reviewed the Kii's and Manger C-1's for SOS was really keen to have a pair, he actually uses the passive LS50's .
I will email him, I will also measure both the passive and actives and post the plots, subjectively the actives appear to me to extend deeper and are able to have more aplomb when the bass extends further than they can manage.
I would recommend them to anyone and you know of course how convenient they are to use, my wife uses Bluetooth for podcasts and radio, I use the USB for Tidal/ROON, and the wifi to connect to the NAS, so simple ,an elegant.
Keith

advertisement

Back