advertisement

Who's heard the new ProAc SM100's?

Rather than gatecrash the DB3 thread thought I'd start a dedicated SM100 one. Received my pair yesterday, they're running in ATM. If you have c£2K burning a whole in your pockets and looking for a set of monitors, these should be high on the menu. I much prefer them to the D2s, which is the model I originally went to buy. The MF band is electrostatic, the LF is tuneful and very deep, works from very low volume too. The HF is delicate, smooth and integrated beautifully, no cross-over point heard and takes the MF to airy raspy highs.

ProAc blurb :)

The ProAc studio 100 was produced for over 20 years until 2013. They were made for both domestic and studio use. The studio 100 quickly became a favourite in the studios used as a near field monitor
For the last 2 years Stewart Tyler has been working on a new speaker named the ProAc SM100 and all parameters have been improved for both studio and domestic use. It now has a new bass driver with a new surround and dust cap along with a brand new 1 inch domed tweeter and crossover network, however the cabinet remains the same.
The bass driver looks similar but has a new rubber surround for longevity and power handling and now comes in a ProAc basket. The tweeter is a new ProAc design with a 1 inch silk dome and a front plate to lower distortion, the dome has a new roll surround.
The SM100 also features a new crossover, the overall sound quality is similar to the studio 100 but slightly smoother sound makes it ideal for long listening sessions.

Certainly interested in these. Is 2k the RRP on these? Isn't that a bit of a jump on previous iteration? Looking to replace my Shl5's with something more dynamic and with a smaller form factor. Will likely have these as a contender.

The RRP is £1850. I say circa £2K with stands etc. You can get decent discount from pro audio places. funkyjunk/proaudioeurope will do 15% off if you ask them nicely ;)
https://www.proaudioeurope.com/

Yes its a £550 increase over the RRP on the 118s and around £750 over the S100 5+years back. But still... I'd not worry, the extra ££ is easily seen and heard.

I had original Studio 100s in my studio and ran them for several years, they sounded great. They are very popular for studio use especially in USA for some reason. I had them powered by an ATC SIA2-150 mk1 amp. I've sold both the amp and the speakers now and wish I hadn't, it would have made and excellent home hifi setup! :(

I'd be interested if these new speakers sound the same (or better).

I had original Studio 100s in my studio and ran them for several years, they sounded great. They are very popular for studio use especially in USA for some reason. I had them powered by an ATC SIA2-150 mk1 amp. I've sold both the amp and the speakers now and wish I hadn't, it would have made and excellent home hifi setup! :(

I'd be interested if these new speakers sound the same (or better).

I owned the same ATC amp, with SCM20SLs.. with a Meridian 588 CDP sold it all too. Can't say what they're like in comparison to the old S100s, never owned them, but I do know studios are ordering the SM100 as direct replacements. I spoke to Stewart last week, he's spent years making them better in every way.

How do the SM100's compare to the Studio 118's? Is the high frequency/tweeter performance similar on both? Which of the two has the better perceived speed and ease with dynamics?

its a bit overwhelming how many new model proac are releasing: new Proac D3, SMS100 and Tablette 10

Which model is their ''reference''?

its a bit overwhelming how many new model proac are releasing: new Proac D3, SMS100 and Tablette 10

Which model is their ''reference''?

Well the reference range is the K Series, 6 & 8. https://www.proac-loudspeakers.com/

Tablette Anniversaries', D2s, R1SCs (now DB1s) and S100s (now SM100s) have been their longest running products. Over 20 years in version iterations IIRC. The New DB3 you mention is a simpler (£300-400 cheaper) version of the new'ish DB1.

Also ProAc have informed me there will be another new model coming out soon; a replacement for the D18s which will complete new line up in about 6 months time.

How do the SM100's compare to the Studio 118's? Is the high frequency/tweeter performance similar on both? Which of the two has the better perceived speed and ease with dynamics?

According to the long-term pro users on gearslutz these take an age to run-in and that's also mentioned in the supplied documents. It says to give them a week or two before using them for critical mastering/processing, it also says they'll continue to develop over the next 2 months or so.

In comparison to the 118s; they have a very similar voicing but the reinvented paper coned LF/MF driver (which has a new cast basket and rubber long throw surround) has a different (natural) more expressive mid-band. The New Tweeter still carries that lush raspy tone the 3/4" unit ProAc have been using for decades but has wider and faster transients. Both drivers integrate beautifully. The crossover has been judged perfectly IMHO. The bass on the SM100's is phenomenal considering the cabinet isn't that much bigger but it's a lot heaver (26lbs each which makes them heavier than the larger D2s)... They dig out deep accurate and agile bass from very low volumes, it's 6am ATM and the world is silent here, I have the volume on my SuperUniti at '15' and I'm listening to the extended version of 'Tosca - Dehli9' from track 11 onwards, the room is full of transients and a complete full bodied sound, there's even some sub-bass which is rather surprising at such a low volume. I supposed it's a little unfair to compare them against the 118s as they are in quite a different price category now, so it'd be better to pitch them against the D2's as there's only £200 between them now.

Well the reference range is the K Series, 6 & 8. https://www.proac-loudspeakers.com/

Tablette Anniversaries', D2s, R1SCs (now DB1s) and S100s (now SM100s) have been their longest running products. Over 20 years in version iterations IIRC. The New DB3 you mention is a simpler (£300-400 cheaper) version of the new'ish DB1.

Also ProAc have informed me there will be another new model coming out soon; a replacement for the D18s which will complete new line up in about 6 months time.
gracias!!!
in your opnion, wats their best under 5k model to try?

According to the long-term pro users on gearslutz these take an age to run-in and that's also mentioned in the supplied documents. It says to give them a week or two before using them for critical mastering/processing, it also says they'll continue to develop over the next 2 months or so.

In comparison to the 118s; they have a very similar voicing but the reinvented paper coned LF/MF driver (which has a new cast basket and rubber long throw surround) has a different (natural) more expressive mid-band. The New Tweeter still carries that lush raspy tone the 3/4" unit ProAc have been using for decades but has wider and faster transients. Both drivers integrate beautifully. The crossover has been judged perfectly IMHO. The bass on the SM100's is phenomenal considering the cabinet isn't that much bigger but it's a lot heaver (26lbs each which makes them heavier than the larger D2s)... They dig out deep accurate and agile bass from very low volumes, it's 6am ATM and the world is silent here, I have the volume on my SuperUniti at '15' and I'm listening to the extended version of 'Tosca - Dehli9' from track 11 onwards, the room is full of transients and a complete full bodied sound, there's even some sub-bass which is rather surprising at such a low volume. I supposed it's a little unfair to compare them against the 118s as they are in quite a different price category now, so it'd be better to pitch them against the D2's as there's only £200 between them now.

Thanks for that. I'm pretty sure either the SM100's or the curved ATC SCM19's will be my next and final speaker. My feeling is it will be the SM100's but nearer the time I would like to try both at home over an extended period of a few weeks. I am a big fan of the ProAc Studio range and I generally prefer it to the Response range. I have tried the Response D2, Response D18, Response 1.5, Studio 130, Studio 140, Studio 110, Studio 100 and Studio 1 MK2. My favorites were the Studio 130 and the Studio 100, both driven by a high powered MF A1008 solid state/valve hybrid integrated amplifier.

Most of my listening is to up-tempo music - complex electronica/dance music, dub reggae, soul, funk, psychedelic rock, modern jazz etc. The Studio range seems to better handle these genres ime. The Response range is better suited to simpler, more traditional forms of music imo. Acoustic and vocal music sounds superb via the Response range, particularly when driven by quality valve amplification. They are less successful at getting the best from fast, complex and dynamic music; sounding a little too laid back, slow and colored with rock and electronica for my tastes.

Do the SM100's appear to thrive and perform at their best with more power when compared to the 118's? Are the 118's impressive sounding from the off and the SM100's perhaps more attractive over the longer-term? Is the response of the SM100's flatter sounding than the 118's and is the tweeter/high frequency response more rolled off or is it about the same in your experience?

advertisement

Back