advertisement

Best mahler 9 I have heard

adamdea

You are not a sound quality evaluation device
Bernard Haitink last night at the Barbican. Marvellous performance. Unbelievably quiet audience. You want to hear dynamic range? Jump to 1:37:00 adjust the volume so you can hear the next bit quietly but distinctly then jump back to 0:07:00 and go.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08r2zrr

Only heard the first half in the car. I think I'll be downloading this concert and listening to it at my leisure.

The spoken introduction from the stage dedicating the concert to the victims of the Manchester bombing was moving.

Haitink is conducting one of the earlier Proms.

Good ol' Steakhouse (as we used to call him).

Thanks for the tip -- am downloading now. He's playing this here in Berlin next season, but the audiences here are so noisy, it'll just annoy me.

I was lucky to be in audience. This was a tremendous performance I feel privileged to have heard. Not over-emotional but there is already enough of that in the music and the context. Haitink is only 88 and looked fit for his age but there will probably not be many more opportunities to hear him, particularly in what is one of my desert island works.

Best Mahler 9? Impossible to say of course, though Abaddo and the Berliners at The Proms in 1994 also holds a place in my heart.

Listening to it now after downloading it yesterday. Haitink is a master in this repertoire.

Very dynamic sound too - a dynamic range of 20+dB according to Audirvana.

advertisement

Back