advertisement

Tellurium Q Black - your experiences

There is no individual strand insulation, there are only two parallel conductors with a single molded jacket. Their design objective was about phase noise and their patent pending resolution was the use of a particular material used in a specific manner.

Whats funny is at least half of the people who have commented about TQB disliked the cable for some reason or another. Whats also funny is my comments about how pointless traditional speaker cable comparisons are, are mostly ignored. If in theory you had a speaker cable that is absolutely undeniably perfect, with no distortion. You then gave it to everyone for free to try out, you would find that at least half or more would dislike it. Why?. Because when comparing with their previous speaker interconnect, some would prefer the sound of their old cable as it produced a better overall sound with their audio equipment setup. But does that make it right ?. One choosing a technically inferrier cable over a theoreticle perfect conductor. Maybe not. But it gives you no right to infer or claim you know what you hear because you think its better. Because in this scenario, the perceptively worse cable is only showing the true condition of the audio setup but is the technically superior cable. So you cannot know by comparing speaker cables, which is superior. Because you dont know if its truley making things worse by compensating your audio equipments weaknesses, or wether its making things better. NOT WITHOUT A REFERENCE.

Cereal, you have completely ignored things which have been said to you by me and others here. Sure there is a little gate crashing. But for us, its like seeing a bunch of morons staring at a jar of jellybeans, trying to count them all. When the rest of us know that its only a picture in the jar, there are no jellybeans.
Im fine with objective experience, but you cant ignore the science with it. Saying DBT are pointless is just plain ignorent. Claiming you know what you hear is just plain naive. Refuting fairly logical comments is just plain ignorent. Theres no rationality by you at all. With someone with as many posts on this forum like you, i would have expected you to be a little more level headed.

Anyway this is not a complete dig at you, im just being honest, trying to let you know that you should be more receptive of the people who understanding the technology better than you do.

PEACE.

Ignorant and naïve hey, perhaps you could tell me how the Sommer Cables sounds in comparison to your TQB?

I have said from the beginning the differences are massive, A BDT test would be won 100% ... and as far as a references is concerned that is relatively simple; when a drum sounds like a drum its a, you guessed it, drum. When a piano sounds like a piano, its a.....piano. When a symbol sounds like a symbol.... Also worthy of pointing out a reference to soundstage; if your listening to a live recording in a hall that you're fairly familiar and when listening to that recording, you can recall the stage then for me, that works.

For references of what is the correct sound, well, I personally don't need to keep moving goal posts. For me my reference is life and what I've been hearing for the last 46 years. My hearing is good, it works, I trust it. I mean when you see a colour its how you perceive it that matter, not how I do.

And for your understanding of the construction of the cable.. Well I have been told that each copper strand is indeed coated individually in a material that has to be removed before terminating. If you have indeed re-terminated yours, I'd take some advise on how to do it properly.

There is no individual strand insulation, there are only two parallel conductors with a single molded jacket. Their design objective was about phase noise and their patent pending resolution was the use of a particular material used in a specific manner.

Whats funny is at least half of the people who have commented about TQB disliked the cable for some reason or another. Whats also funny is my comments about how pointless traditional speaker cable comparisons are, are mostly ignored. If in theory you had a speaker cable that is absolutely undeniably perfect, with no distortion. You then gave it to everyone for free to try out, you would find that at least half or more would dislike it. Why?. Because when comparing with their previous speaker interconnect, some would prefer the sound of their old cable as it produced a better overall sound with their audio equipment setup. But does that make it right ?. One choosing a technically inferrier cable over a theoreticle perfect conductor. Maybe not. But it gives you no right to infer or claim you know what you hear because you think its better. Because in this scenario, the perceptively worse cable is only showing the true condition of the audio setup but is the technically superior cable. So you cannot know by comparing speaker cables, which is superior. Because you dont know if its truley making things worse by compensating your audio equipments weaknesses, or wether its making things better. NOT WITHOUT A REFERENCE.

Cereal, you have completely ignored things which have been said to you by me and others here. Sure there is a little gate crashing. But for us, its like seeing a bunch of morons staring at a jar of jellybeans, trying to count them all. When the rest of us know that its only a picture in the jar, there are no jellybeans.
Im fine with objective experience, but you cant ignore the science with it. Saying DBT are pointless is just plain ignorent. Claiming you know what you hear is just plain naive. Refuting fairly logical comments is just plain ignorent. Theres no rationality by you at all. With someone with as many posts on this forum like you, i would have expected you to be a little more level headed.

Anyway this is not a complete dig at you, im just being honest, trying to let you know that you should be more receptive of the people who understanding the technology better than you do.

PEACE.

Wrong the first part of this is not correct there is 3 off 7 strand in each conductor in TGB and the Graphite has 7 off 7 the Silvers are the same cable with Ag solder and plugs.

Skin effect, so you all see this as high frequency and not timing high speed edges, wrong. 1KHz I think most could hear that is 1mS, 100KHz is 10uS so lets see a bass note 80Hz with a rise or attack edge on the the smack down of 10uS how would it sound ???
Now slow it down to an attack edge of 1mS what sort of noise is this ?

Now lets think about harmonics now how does skin effect change this ?

Would you say 100KHz is high frequency ??
Would you say Sonar is high frequency ??
Then why did we take the trouble when designing Sonar for the MOD and using Litz wire to make it more sensitive?

Before anybody makes a rash statements think about edges please.

Wrong the first part of this is not correct there is 3 off 7 strand in each conductor in TGB and the Graphite has 7 off 7 the Silvers are the same cable with Ag solder and plugs.
Ah this is interesting. See i have discected a black cable but i wonder if i sheathed off the insulation and missed it. I know that the blue and ultra blue are not insulated ? Or did i miss that too. I have read your patents describing all this, one even has the diagram with three seperately insulated conductors. Also detailing the "unmagnetised" particles that helps with phase errors. Its very interesting that you say the silver is the same except for its termination points.

Skin effect, so you all see this as high frequency and not timing high speed edges, wrong. 1KHz I think most could hear that is 1mS, 100KHz is 10uS so lets see a bass note 80Hz with a rise or attack edge on the the smack down of 10uS how would it sound ???

Then why did we take the trouble when designing Sonar for the MOD and using Litz wire to make it more sensitive?

This is interesting. I myself have thought that LCR plays less of a role in cable differences than phase errors.

PEACE.

you maybe able to dissect the relative here; oxymoron

PEACE.

The irony in your last few post is frankly ....what?

Yea no i get that what i said sounds arrogant, was never my intention. Although i still believe in what i said, the way i said it was wrong. But no matter. You still have not understood what i was trying to say, nevermind. Others who did the same for me, gave me the oppurtunity to change my mind and i respect them for that. Thats all anyone else here has tried to do. After all its all about the convincing argument and all i try to provide.
I apologize if i did offend you.

You are correct about the Blue, it was infact a atest run to prove that the Black could be done due to mismatch in material I thought I might get a slide i.e. the conductor would fall out. So blue was run first and as a joke I tried it as speaker cable it sounded OKish.

That's R&D for you the most unexpected things happen, also it is worth noting the cables were done by Catch 22 my company ,as a sample for Naim, but this happen as they got involved with Focal so TQ was born. And a point of history about 1979 Alan Elsdon and I did a simular experiment then and now we have the EWA cables.
Back soon of to hospital more needles yuk.

Yea no i get that what i said sounds arrogant, was never my intention. Although i still believe in what i said, the way i said it was wrong. But no matter. You still have not understood what i was trying to say, nevermind. Others who did the same for me, gave me the oppurtunity to change my mind and i respect them for that. Thats all anyone else here has tried to do. After all its all about the convincing argument and all i try to provide.
I apologize if i did offend you.

FYI - I have and do, totally understand what you're saying. I don't believe cables make such a difference, IE: I can't hear the difference in USB cables if they're within spec. I can't hear the difference in (most) digital cables either, if in spec. Same with interconnects, the differences have always been miniscule .... IF you read my posts in the beginning I state that I've been using the Sommer Cables for years. I wanted to try NACA5 (again) with my (relatively new to me) Naim Superuniti but didn't want the battle of trying to plumb my speaker in with a pipe bender, so I tried the TQBs. Much to my surprise they are a VAST improvement over the Sommer cables in every aspect.

My point was never about wether you can hear a difference, im not one of those people. My point was what you associate that difference to be. I dont expect you to believe what i say, but just think about it at least.
I dont disbelieve you hear a perceptive increase in quality compared to your older cables. But you cant know for sure wether its just making your system sound better, or wether your previous cables were more technically correct and potraying the weakness's of the rest of your system. Now i am not saying this is in fact whats happening, i should think the TQB is more accurate. However you just cant know without a reference.

Iv had plenty of cables that sounded, better than the TQ. One for example not long ago was the nordost S flatline, another was a audioquest cable. But from my tests they were technically inferrior and turns out the lesser quality sounding TQ cable, was representing the signal more accurately.

the word VAST occurs in 12 posts of this thread. Is that why I was glad to sell my TQB too much VASTness for one person to enjoy?

I must confess had I seen VAST used to describe the benefits of TQB that time back when I choose to be open minded I would not have wasted my time. I wasn't surprised just had my patience tested.

Most people do not describe it as VAST. You may be the exception.

Now slow it down to an attack edge of 1mS what sort of noise is this?

"Slowing down" is a strange term - we are not talking about delay here, are we? Limiting the rise time to 1 ms is equivalent to a 1 kHz low-pass filtering, and yes, of course a 1 kHz low pass filtering is audible. A 100 kHz low-pass filtering isn't.

If we are talking about audible signals, then yes. If we are talking about high-speed data or radio, then no.

Possibly, yes. The frequencies of sonars range from infrasonic to above 1 MHz.

Perhaps because precision sonar is dependent on time/frequency resolution beyond human hearing? Litz construction is beneficial between 100 kHz and a few MHz, but doesn't really do anything below 100 kHz.

No, skin effect only starts occurring in the MHz range so is not relevent for edges or rise time.

Again no, 100 KHz is not high frequency it is barely even low frequency.

My point was never about wether you can hear a difference, im not one of those people. My point was what you associate that difference to be. I dont expect you to believe what i say, but just think about it at least.
I dont disbelieve you hear a perceptive increase in quality compared to your older cables. But you cant know for sure wether its just making your system sound better, or wether your previous cables were more technically correct and potraying the weakness's of the rest of your system. Now i am not saying this is in fact whats happening, i should think the TQB is more accurate. However you just cant know without a reference.

Iv had plenty of cables that sounded, better than the TQ. One for example not long ago was the nordost S flatline, another was a audioquest cable. But from my tests they were technically inferrior and turns out the lesser quality sounding TQ cable, was representing the signal more accurately.

Like I have said before, references are all around us. When you hear two pieces of metal slam against each other do you recognise the differences from two pieces of wood?

Plus its is not a perceived (rather condescending don't you think) difference is it an actual improvement, I'd have said if it wasn't.
The differences are and were stated probably 100 posts ago, but I'll reiterate them with my flowery statement for the day: The sound is less smeared, much more tonally correct, much more detail, in everything. Its a fresh rather dry sound with a wide open temporal view on the performance.

Not as a provocation, but of genuine interest:

Has anyone competent measured the LCR for TQB? If so, care to post the results?

You are correct about the Blue, it was infact a atest run to prove that the Black could be done due to mismatch in material I thought I might get a slide i.e. the conductor would fall out. So blue was run first and as a joke I tried it as speaker cable it sounded OKish.

That's R&D for you the most unexpected things happen, also it is worth noting the cables were done by Catch 22 my company ,as a sample for Naim, but this happen as they got involved with Focal so TQ was born. And a point of history about 1979 Alan Elsdon and I did a simular experiment then and now we have the EWA cables.
Back soon of to hospital more needles yuk.

Firstly hope you're well, secondly that's a very interesting bit of history/info.. can you expand on it a little please?

if a cable is only 20cm long its not a cable, its a connection.

I dont know if thats correct per say, that would depend on classification in electronics. Cable may be defined as anything that bonds two or more cables. But il take "connection" either way. Makes no difference.

advertisement

Back