advertisement

Naim Nac 272n

I have one and have used it with naim amps and karan acoustics.

For the money it's a very good pre/dac/streamer, well worth a listen.

yep. listened and is nearly equal to my squeezebox 282 nDac (new firmware notwithstanding) XPS. Going to get one and maybe aforesaid will be gone as will 3 shelves of fraim!

Yes, I have had one since about April, I think it is a great bit of kit. Powered by XPS DR I love the presentation and amount of detail. I,m using mine in to nap 200 and use like a receiver so I still have main sources CD and turntable as inputs.

The interface is nice, being able to name inputs. And the iPad app will allow operation of CD player when cd is wired/system auto enabled.

All in all a good bit of kit.

I've tried one into both my Chord SPM650 and my Meridian 559 and It sounds superb. Digital side was slightly behind my 2 Qute but lp12 was fab.

I had audio note Zero stuff a few years back, so sadly can't say for sure. But the 'new' naim sound is a lot more spacious than olive gear, and 272 is designed for other power amps, so give it go.... At worst you can buy a sh 200

I intend swapping my Nac172 N XS to the 272 in the new year once I sell the 172. Have been very happy with the 172 now want to go up a gear or two.

I'll be keeping my sublime sounding 172 NAP200 combo for a while longer.

I could manage the 272 itself, what would kill me is the knowledge that only another £10000 on an XPS and a NAP 300 will get the best out of it.

The lack of a power supply upgrade with my 172, and the feeling that worthwhile improvement tops out with my current power amp are things i wasn't expecting to enjoy as much as I do.

Hi All,

This seems like an appropriate thread to ask this on, so here goes.

To the NAC 172 (or 272) owners, could anyone confirm whether the naim control app (android version) has the ability to select and display the pre-amp volume/mute status/input selected? The reason I ask is that I currently have a 122x and find myself having to walk around to another room (under the stairs!) to confirm the selected input, volume etc. I want something that gives me full control (excluding setup features etc) whilst being 'blind' in my living room.

For those that are wondering why my kit is hidden away instead of being on show, it's purey down to space constraints in the living room, in which I have wall mounted speakers - not ideal but surprisingly good considering.

Thanks in advance,
Ben

N272 is much appraised on the green white capital investment place, not only this months flavour but these years.. if you dare ask there, it will need a 555 psu and 250dr amp with Lumina wires too, all sums up to $$$ which is far from Statement

Hi All,

This seems like an appropriate thread to ask this on, so here goes.

To the NAC 172 (or 272) owners, could anyone confirm whether the naim control app (android version) has the ability to select and display the pre-amp volume/mute status/input selected? The reason I ask is that I currently have a 122x and find myself having to walk around to another room (under the stairs!) to confirm the selected input, volume etc. I want something that gives me full control (excluding setup features etc) whilst being 'blind' in my living room.

For those that are wondering why my kit is hidden away instead of being on show, it's purey down to space constraints in the living room, in which I have wall mounted speakers - not ideal but surprisingly good considering.

Thanks in advance,
Ben

I have a 272, with Android and Apple devices using the Naim app you can control volume, mute and change inputs.

N272 is much appraised on the green white capital investment place, not only this months flavour but these years.. if you dare ask there, it will need a 555 psu and 250dr amp with Lumina wires too, all sums up to $$$ which is far from Statement

Now now Perf, you don't need all the extras to make the 272 sound great I use mine naked with the bottom end NAP100 and it sounds fantastic.

Now now Perf, you don't need all the extras to make the 272 sound great I use mine naked with the bottom end NAP100 and it sounds fantastic.

I'm sure it does sound fantastic, I was just reading some brain washed things over there, it is really becoming a sheep++ place bvadr
You even need two 555 for your cd player or streamer these days, otherwise it sound broken
The owners sure have a fun time, its all about profit these days, how I miss JV.

The little 100 is amazingly good too, provided matching speakers
I would not bother with other brands poweramp to match their preamp
:)

I have had a few NAC-N 272s here since they were launched. I have tried them with pretty much every Naim power amp. I cannot recall every trying one with a non-Naim power amp, sorry. You might like to contact Dave at Audio Counsel for advice on mixing Naim and Audio Note equipment. I am fair certain he had both of those brands at one time.

I'm sure it does sound fantastic, I was just reading some brain washed things over there, it is really becoming a sheep++ place bvadr
You even need two 555 for your cd player or streamer these days, otherwise it sound broken
The owners sure have a fun time, its all about profit these days, how I miss JV.

The little 100 is amazingly good too, provided matching speakers
I would not bother with other brands poweramp to match their preamp
:)

Personally I don't read too much into the claims over on the other side but I know what you mean regarding power supply upgrades etc

One day I may try an XPS but for now my system into fairly cheap AE301 speakers sounds amazing, great boogie, fast and an exciting sound.

NAP100 for the money is probably Naims biggest bang for buck

I'll find out early next week, as I've got one arriving on a trial basis.

This is an experiment, to see if I can reduce the Naim box count, and it'll be running with a 300 power amp, together with a 555 Power supply, both of which I already have here.

Not expecting miracles, but if I like the sound, then I'll be shifting an NDS streamer, a second 555 Power supply, and a 552 pre ......... and down to only four boxes, and one stack of Fraim.

We'll see. :eek:

I have a 272, with Android and Apple devices using the Naim app you can control volume, mute and change inputs.

Thanks for that, appreciate the response and apologies for hijacking the thread slightly! The 172 is just what I'm after by the sounds of it. Cheers

I'll find out early next week, as I've got one arriving on a trial basis.

This is an experiment, to see if I can reduce the Naim box count, and it'll be running with a 300 power amp, together with a 555 Power supply, both of which I already have here.

Not expecting miracles, but if I like the sound, then I'll be shifting an NDS streamer, a second 555 Power supply, and a 552 pre ......... and down to only four boxes, and one stack of Fraim.

We'll see. :eek:

Interesting to see how the 272 fits into your already excellent setup, not sure it will displace the 552 though but who knows ;)

advertisement

Back