advertisement

£54,000 headphones anyone?

A must have for every footballer as they step off the bus (as long as you can get a "beats" sticker as an accessory)

A must have for every footballer as they step off the bus (as long as you can get a "beats" sticker as an accessory)

Indeed - it never ceases to amaze me the number of footballers that I see on TV getting off the team bus wearing Beats 'phones. They have loads of cash yet they fall for the marketing hype and buy the most mediocre product thinking that they've bought 'quality' gear.

You really really really need to understand that most people do not give a good god damn about hi-fi. Most people like music.

These have a MOSFET driving each speaker which is built into each earpiece so they are in effect active headphones. It baffles me what the other 16 triodes are doing in the chassis apart from looking good...

Like 95% of high-end HiFi today, these are made for those who want exclusivity where the only measure is based on the retail price.

You really really really need to understand that most people do not give a good god damn about hi-fi. Most people like music.

True. However if they're going to spend £300 on a pair of headphones, you'd think they would give a damn how they sound.

My daughter wanted some Beats, I didn't buy her any but her mother did. Those stay at her mothers (she only goes there on weekends) so she asked me to buy her some for at home (for her birthday). I asked her to try my B&O H6s first, she immediately wanted the H6s... I got the H6s for £159 and they wipe the floor with any Beats I've heard whilst looking cooler too.

At least they're relatively understated (apart from the marble covered amp and rising valves)! That can't be said of many 'statement' products these days.

True. However if they're going to spend £300 on a pair of headphones, you'd think they would give a damn how they sound.

My daughter wanted some Beats, I didn't buy her any but her mother did. Those stay at her mothers (she only goes there on weekends) so she asked me to buy her some for at home (for her birthday). I asked her to try my B&O H6s first, she immediately wanted the H6s... I got the H6s for £159 and they wipe the floor with any Beats I've heard whilst looking cooler too.

Beats aren't about sound quality, it's about being seen to wear the brand, they're just a fashion accessory.

You've more chance of plaiting piss than trying to talk kids/footballers out of Beats or an iphone etc...

Indeed - it never ceases to amaze me the number of footballers that I see on TV getting off the team bus wearing Beats 'phones. They have loads of cash yet they fall for the marketing hype and buy the most mediocre product thinking that they've bought 'quality' gear.

I'd imagine they are paid to wear them. Celebs are just one big advertising board now-a-days

I'd imagine they are paid to wear them. Celebs are just one big advertising board now-a-days

Indeed. Beats were celeb endorsed plastic tat from the start (Beats by Dre). They have improved over time but they're still not worth the money in performance terms. They're a fashion accessory, like a Michael Kors bag. There is very little material value in a Micheal Kors bag but people's still pay silly money for them.

Beats aren't about sound quality, it's about being seen to wear the brand, they're just a fashion accessory.

You've more chance of plaiting piss than trying to talk kids/footballers out of Beats or an iphone etc...
I missed your post when I wrote my last one but as you can see, I fully agree!:D

That said, my daughter loves the B&O H6s, both as an audio product and as a fashion accessory!

Indeed. Beats were celeb endorsed plastic tat from the start (Beats by Dre). They have improved over time but they're still not worth the money in performance terms. They're a fashion accessory, like a Michael Kors bag. There is very little material value in a Micheal Kors bag but people's still pay silly money for them.

LOL I guess Dre can't sound any worse on Beats than he can on anything else ;)

These have a MOSFET driving each speaker which is built into each earpiece so they are in effect active headphones. It baffles me what the other 16 triodes are doing in the chassis apart from looking good...

Like 95% of high-end HiFi today, these are made for those who want exclusivity where the only measure is based on the retail price.

But we (or at least I) expected better of Sennheiser. It devalues the brand IMO.

That's a bit ripe Graham since it could be argued a lot of the wares you are involved with fall into exactly that category.

That's a bit ripe Graham since a lot of the wares you are involved with fall into exactly that category.

Bit below the belt ? GT does sell expensive kit, some of it made by himself. I don't think anyone else thinks it is over-priced ripoff though.

But we (or at least I) expected better of Sennheiser. It devalues the brand IMO.

What about brand uplift?

Is this any different from the likes of Jaguar or Audi selling a supercar in their range, even though the majority of their customers buy more mundane vehicles.

advertisement

Back