advertisement

What are you reading these days?

windhoek

The Phoolosopher
I'm working my way through Lolita by Nabokov, although it might be more apt to say slogging my way through as he drops in a fair amount of French - a tad too much for this petit francophone reader - and his vocabulary is exceptional, to say the least as there have been numerous occasions I've had to use my dictionary like a yo-yo going back and forth between each book to find familiar but forgotten words as well as words never before known to me and my modestly improving mind. And all too often yo-yoing several times on one page!

I've seen the film starring Jeremy Irons so I know how it all ends - the denouement if you will - but I'm reading the book anyway as it's considered a modern classic and although I'm only at Chapter 11, it seems well written for sure and well worth the effort of reading.

Anyway, that's me. What are you reading these days?

Paul Auster 4321

Back to New York trilogy form. Packed with the usual self references. And obvious homage to Salinger.

The lay of the land by Richard Ford, the last of a trilogy all excellent.
His take on life and ageing strikes a chord.

Christmas brought me a stack of Tim Moore - travel writing with humour.

Michael Lewis' "Flash Boys" details the quest for speed in the US and other stock markets, and how speed corrupts.

Just finished Detroit 67 by Stuart Cosgrove.
Excellent, but Kindle version has not been proof read - the most typos/grammar I have ever come across in a published work.
Because I am laid up with leg in plaster I then raced through Peter Hook's Unknown Pleasures and made a good start on Substance. Can't help but like the man.
Also halfway through Tim Lawrence's Death on the Dancefloor in paperback but it seems to have gone missing!

Addlands by Tom Bullough. Rather like the OP, I'm having to make use of external resources as there's lots of use of slang and colloquialisms peculiar to the Welsh Borders (including the title, which means "headlands", as in the strip between field and hedge).

It's very good indeed. Nearly finished, so need to decide what's next (I have a pile to choose from).

'The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry.'

I read 'The Love Song of Miss Queenie Hennessy' first (should have read it second really, but not absolutely necessary) - really enjoyed it so reading the Harold Fry book which is the story that comes before the Queenie Hennessy book. Well written with great human observations.

Can also recommend 'Disclaimer' - will keep you guessing all the way through the book.

I enjoyed the The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry as well, interesting insight, like Forrest Gump on his run.
Have just finished Cleopatra and Antony by Diana Preston this gives even greater insight to the beginning of Roman dominance of the times. I liked the way she got very close to the subject.

Before that "boys in the trees" a memoir by Carly Simon, or how to squander a fortune on psychoanalysis, then put it all down on paper.

advertisement

Back