advertisement

System pics 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sideways on but angled inward toward a full length window he had at the end of the room (his flat was in the Barbican) - so it was as if he was listening to the rear of them but the sound reflected off the window.

post-20235-0-06394300-1483867986.jpg

No, it is just carefully boxed-up and sleeping at present. I have almost certainly migrated to the 124 now, not necessarily because it is in any way better, just because it looks so cool and I have invested so much time, effort and cash into its restoration. I see no need to sell the 301 at this point as the deck itself and the SME M2-10 I used with it are both worth more than I paid and will almost certainly be a better investment than having the money in cash, but they may be in on the 'trades' bench as there are still a few things I want to try...

Seems a pity. Such an awesome deck - and the Andy831 plinth design is a lovely thing in itself. I was sold immediately.

Thx

I already sold the classe combo with much regret. If I find another ssp 800 I will not hesitate too much. In the last two years I had at least 10 different amplifiers and 8 different pairs of speakers. I would like to try as many as possible so when it comes to the final decision I would know which one to settle with ;)

No I am not in the trade yet but I have a pair of harbeth shl5+ to sell with a quad elite pre and qsp power combo.

Thx

I already sold the classe combo with much regret. If I find another ssp 800 I will not hesitate too much. In the last two years I had at least 10 different amplifiers and 8 different pairs of speakers. I would like to try as many as possible so when it comes to the final decision I would know which one to settle with ;)

No I am not in the trade yet but I have a pair of harbeth shl5+ to sell with a quad elite pre and qsp power combo.

Commendable strategy. When I saw that enormous kit, I thought I'd see something special in speakers.

Just mixing and matching is not, i.m.o., the easiest way to arrive at a destination in listening to music, and I wonder if there's a game plan for one direction over others.

For example, s/s or valves? Which type of s/s or valve? Electrostatic or m/coil speakers, and which type of the latter. Etcetera.

I find your approach unusual and interesting, my having spent 50+ years on the hifi road. Think I might have arrived, though (must get some pictures taken).

I've not noticed a problem. Perhaps because the tweeter and mid range are above the seating level.

<moderating>

Please list the pictured kit when posting as many thread viewers will not be able to identify components.

Seems a pity. Such an awesome deck - and the Andy831 plinth design is a lovely thing in itself. I was sold immediately.

It was actually mostly my design! Andy had the required skills and very kindly helped me realise it, something I would not have been able to do on my own. I knew I wanted it square, wanted the corner arcs to kind of follow the 301 etc and went to him with rough sketches etc. It is pleasing to see others have used it since.

PS If I was doing it again I'd do it bigger for two arms.

Tony: don't think you listed a deck in the record shop rig, is it still the Technics?

Robert: how are you finding the Dual 701, that's one of their top DD decks isn't it?

Oooh, I love the look of the devialet. Which one is it and what is your over all impression when using it for vinyl replay if you don't mind me asking?

Commendable strategy. When I saw that enormous kit, I thought I'd see something special in speakers.

Just mixing and matching is not, i.m.o., the easiest way to arrive at a destination in listening to music, and I wonder if there's a game plan for one direction over others.

For example, s/s or valves? Which type of s/s or valve? Electrostatic or m/coil speakers, and which type of the latter. Etcetera.

I find your approach unusual and interesting, my having spent 50+ years on the hifi road. Think I might have arrived, though (must get some pictures taken).

Well i came across to harbeth speakers and i had almost the whole range. What u can see on the picture is the m30.1 but i had the 40.1 however i found it too big for the room and a little bit too laid back for my taste, but now i have an shl5+ which is more fresh and doesn't lack in the lower freqs like the 30.1 does.

I had som diy tube amps and my friend had an audio research integrated which he was so in love with but then we came across quad elite amps and our world changed. What we found was that all of the tube amps had a little bit of warmth that made them more attractive but if u turn up the volume quite a bit then it changed however with the quad qmp the sound is very neutral with not much of coloring. Now i have a hattor passive preamp which is incredable but i still have the quad elite pre as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back