advertisement

MQA arrives on Tidal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cporton many thanks for the help. Apologies for being grumpy :)

Will it work on an oldish Dell laptop in Safari?

Harry,

No problem - we're all grumpy when things don't work easily :)

It won't work in Safari - the browser version doesn't support it. You need to download the Tidal application and install it.

Go here...

http://tidal.com/gb/download

...and it's the left hand "PC+Mac" icon you want.

Hope this helps get things working for you.

Chris

I've been playing the Masters through an Audioquest Dragonfly DAC (so just using the Tidal app to "unfold" the files I guess rather than using a full MQA DAC) and the sound quality has really, really impressed me. It's clearly not a con and could well be a game changer for digital sound quality - wasn't expecting something so impressive.

Chris

Again, this tends to come down to what people think the words being used actually mean. People may well be misunderstanding or misled. Indeed, you can see in this thread and previous ones that people are interpreting what is going on in different ways. This seems to be inevitable given that the real details are buried under layers of 'secret sauce'. And that to really decide you'd need the *source material* to compare with what you're given, as well as more info on what is being done.

If someone wants a sideways look at this in detail I'd suggest looking at the pages I wrote on it a while ago

http://www.audiomisc.co.uk/MQA/origami/ThereAndBack.html

http://www.audiomisc.co.uk/MQA/bits/Stacking.html

http://www.audiomisc.co.uk/MQA/cool/bitfreezing.html

But in summary the basic posers are:

1) This may be a case of "adding salt makes a boiled egg taste better". i.e. people may prefer the MQA version to a low rez version. But not because it is more faithful to the original. Maybe because it has some 'added' stuff that might *not* be an accurate representation of the *source* material. That's fine if you want a nice 'effect', but not what everyone would call 'fidelity'.

2) That *if* you can use something like bitfreezing to get the same low bitrates for streaming *without* such mysterious alterations to the actual musical waveforms. And do it with no 'secret sauce' or paying anyone royalty fees, why choose MQA? Unless of course, you're given no choice in the matter.

I am also rather doubtful about the real meaning of the term 'Authenticated'. How many recording studios have speaker systems that are phase and amplitude flat up to, say, > 90kHz? And how do dead or now-half-deaf musicians now judge on the quality of the mysterious ultlrasonic transients? And if this is all necessary, how do the domestic listeners hear the 'improvement' when the chances are their speakers and listening rooms *don;t* usually provide them with the required time alignment, etc?

It does seem more plausible to me that any audble change may be something like an EQ change or the addition of components *below* about 20 kHz due to the folded aliases.

But you can't tell unless you know the info they haven't given you.

So it may sound good, but...

If someone wants a sideways look at this in detail I'd suggest looking at the pages I wrote on it a while ago

Thanks! I was just about to post one of your links! :)

It does seem more plausible to me that any audble change may be something like an EQ change or the addition of components *below* about 20 kHz due to the folded aliases.

Kind of confirmed by looking at spectrum plots of 44.1/16 and MQA versions of the 2L samplers. There are differences in the 18-20 KHz range.

So MQA is just remasters then, like Steve Wilson does? Why all the voodoo stuff then?

One reason is to add DRM (the "Authenticated" part), the other is to give yet another chance to sell us the same music to us once again. So definitely interesting for record companies. For Meridian, it is an attempt to come up with a new licensing revenue stream as MLP licensing revenue is disappearing.

One reason is to add DRM (the "Authenticated" part), the other is to give yet another chance to sell us the same music to us once again. So definitely interesting for record companies. For Meridian, it is an attempt to come up with a new licensing revenue stream as MLP licensing revenue is disappearing.

Julf,

MQA's response to Question 79 on DRM seems to contradict what you're saying... they state in some detail that MQA does not have a DRM component.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/694-comprehensive-q-mqa-s-bob-stuart/

Chris

Returned to tidal yesterday and Masters has been thoroughly entertaining me, without a MQA dac.
I expect the share for free crowd will be out of salts until it is all pirated.

Julf..I have a tidal subscription.. MQA is FREE to me.
You and Jim go measurbate and postulate together while the rest of us just enjoy...

You and Jim go measurbate and postulate together while the rest of us just enjoy...

My apologies for upsetting your belief system with actual engineering and science. I know it is hard to face challenges to one's faith.

OK, I think I have downloaded the desktop application. In settings it now says hifi/master, but still no master tab next to the recommended and top 20 tabs in what's new. Weird.

He can certainly be annoying on hifi forums. Although to give him his due he is occasionally educational.

OK, I think I have downloaded the desktop application. In settings it now says hifi/master, but still no master tab next to the recommended and top 20 tabs in what's new. Weird.

Dozey,

Are you subscribed to the £9.99pm Tidal Premium service?

You only see the Masters with the £19.99pm Tidal HiFi service.

Also, the Masters tab is only next to the Albums in the What's New section - is this where you're looking?

Chris

How have you gone from "just want to understand" to calling it "voodoo" so quickly?

MQA certainly includes a remaster process, but that is only part of it based on the overall process they describe.

Chris

What I want to understand is if these files have been remastered then surely in order to understand what this tech is doing is to hear the remaster without the MQA, you get that surely?

It seems beyond doubt that the music sounds better, but if they are going back to the masters and redoing them, then like Steve Wilsons Yes remasters, its inevitable they will sound better (Though my jury is still out on Tales)

I started reading the laborious detail supplied from audiophile but decided my life was too short. We all love a back story, but to the uninitiated it does appear that music files are remastered the 'folded' into MQA. My thought would be its the remaster that matters, not the MQA.

Well, no - the change over to Master/MQA is free for Tidal HiFi customers, remember?

Furthermore, the difference here is that MQA was set out to be used for streaming from the start, so up until now if you were streaming music as MP3 or CD quality or whatever, now you can just stream it as MQA. No need to re-buy all your music.

Thus this is very different to when music was still tied to 1) a physical artefact (vinyl/CD/SACD) which not only necessitated buying the music again to participate but also buying a new play back device, and 2) ownership.

I have no problem with getting rid of 1) and 2), though I still buy the occasional CD or Hi-Res download if I can't find it on Tidal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back