advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00110100)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes is seems messy and it is not cleare what is required.

I got a mail from Tidal saying that you can play MQA only from the desktop App.
On the Roon forum those that have DACs that have official MQA support can play MQA tracks from Tidal with Roon because Roon will simply send the stream untouched to the DAC.

So apparently you do not need special hardware to decode MQA this can be done in software which I suspected all the time. But marketing imply that you need special hardware.

So I will only try MQA if Roon is allowed to make the decoding on the server so it will work with any DAC.

It seems the MQA dudes have changed their tune :) (from last year) and you can decode MQA in Tidal by software and play to any DAC, so need for anything built into MDAC/MDAC2/FDAC. More info in the CES reports, pfm thread and CA. Roon 1.3 plans to offer same. So MQA will be able to make their money from streaming and no need to license 'compatible' hardware. Maybe later they will reveal what science is behind it. Current opinion from those who've heard comparable tracks is DSD > MQA > CD. No flames pls :eek:, YMMV :D

It seems the MQA dudes have changed their tune :) (from last year) and you can decode MQA in Tidal by software and play to any DAC, so need for anything built into MDAC/MDAC2/FDAC. More info in the CES reports, pfm thread and CA. Roon 1.3 plans to offer same. So MQA will be able to make their money from streaming and no need to license 'compatible' hardware. Maybe later they will reveal what science is behind it. Current opinion from those who've heard comparable tracks is DSD > MQA > CD. No flames pls :eek:, YMMV :D

It will not be in 1.3 or at least not the first release. Just read this on the Roon forum

"No it hasn't and "1.3" could mean the initial 1.3 release or a subsequent update. MQA decoding in Roon is going to happen, but timescales have not been published. Obviously though, we all want this to happen as soon as possible."

From Auralic Facebook:

MQA is now live on TIDAL!
For those who has a MQA certificated DAC and want to try it out, please log off and log in TIDAL account in Lightning DS (to enable MQA content) and set volume in Lightning DS to 100 (to disable signal process) then try those MQA content, you will see some magic there.

To those who do not have MQA certificated DAC, dont worry, we are also working on a private software based MQA decoder to send signal to your DAC using AURALiC's latest upsampling algorithm. (Disclaimer: this is not going to use any MQA property software code.)

Hello everybody!...I'm new here thus I'm going to introduce myself a bit....I'm from Italy and living there. Big fan of hifi since I was fifteen, and now very interested on MDAC2, so apologize me if this has been already clarified some times , I just would to know if, in order to buy the coming MDAC2, is mandatory own an MDAC or is possible to buy directly the MDAC2? Furthermore, need I to subscribe to John Westlake crowdfunding?...in case, am I still in time?

...I wish happy new year to all new friends here!

Hello everybody!...I'm new here thus I'm going to introduce myself a bit....I'm from Italy and living there. Big fan of hifi since I was fifteen, and now very interested on MDAC2, so apologize me if this has been already clarified some times , I just would to know if, in order to buy the coming MDAC2, is mandatory own an MDAC or is possible to buy directly the MDAC2? Furthermore, need I to subscribe to John Westlake crowdfunding?...in case, am I still in time?

Hi Silvano, you can either wait for the MDAC2 to be released as a retail product or you can buy a position on the crowdfunded project from someone, e.g. me!

Hi, i already own a Naim Superuniti so i won't use the mdac2. You can buy my position on the crowdfunded project so that you will be sure to get the mdac against production costs.

Hi, i already own a Naim Superuniti so i won't use the mdac2. You can buy my position on the crowdfunded project so that you will be sure to get the mdac against production costs.

Jeroengrt,

There is a waiting list and its only fair to others who have been patiently waiting to proceed down this list in order...

The MDAC2 VR PSU chassis finally arrived today (repurposed from them miniAmp project) - its the first spin so not 100% perfect.

We had problems machining the first heatsink so we had to pay for special tooling - the second heatsink is much better machined :) but they missed the Chamfer detailing around the holes...

Still perfect for power testing and construction of the prototype :)

The new ID design looks so much better then the "original" Lakewest design a few years back...

It also gives a taste of how the VFETS will look :)

The new ID design looks so much better then the "original" Lakewest design a few years back...

That is why you need to design the new MDAC2 case to match the material quality and with of the VR PSU. just like in your rendering.

My guess is that most of those that want MDAC2 want it because of form factor and those that want FWC will most likely go for FDAC.

I don't see the point in putting MDAC2 and PSU into a FWC. For some reason many don't mind lost of small boxes. But FWC is a problem.
I would also like my Munich MDAC2 board to go into a VR PSU width case in the furure :p

The MDAC2 VR PSU chassis finally arrived today (repurposed from them miniAmp project) - its the first spin so not 100% perfect.

We had problems machining the first heatsink so we had to pay for special tooling - the second heatsink is much better machined :) but they missed the Chamfer detailing around the holes...

Still perfect for power testing and construction of the prototype :)

...good news John, some PiCtuRes PleAsE!!!! 8-]

Well.... No front panel switch mounted yet (It will be the same style mini toggle as on Detox) and the surface finish is a little ruff, but hopefully you can get the idea - :)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86116171/RH sdie VR chassis Proto.JPG

Looks really good, and I do like the small form factor - could we not have FDAC in a double height VR case perhaps? This would fit on my current rack! Looking forward to my MDAC2 and VR cased PSU...

Not sure about staying silver, or going black...

OH GOD NOT THOSE SCREWS! :D

Yep - to match the MDAC they are the same :)

Oh- BTW, the RPi3 is here, Skype me your address and we will post it to you :)

Keen to see how fast it is and what you can do with it for MDAC2 :) Lets just hope we have FINALLY settled upon a SOC solution -we have already designed and built two PCB's for earlier "solutions" (BeagleBone and H3) - not to mention visiting the H3 guys in China!

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back