advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00110100)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tidal are offering existing subscribers of their Hi-Fi streaming service free MQA streaming via their desktop app from today.

Listening now on headset at work but will need a proper test when I get home from work.

Tidal are offering existing subscribers of their Hi-Fi streaming service free MQA streaming via their desktop app from today.

Listening now on headset at work but will need a proper test when I get home from work.
But are you using your MDAC, or a DAC which supports MQA? I doubt that the Tidal Windows program will be decoding MQA on your PC in software. (I hope that I am wrong though.)

But are you using your MDAC, or a DAC which supports MQA? I doubt that the Tidal Windows program will be decoding MQA on your PC in software. (I hope that I am wrong though.)
Note that it is possible to find tracks to A/B. If you can find two versions of an album (as I have) you can play the same track from the two albums and in one album the "Master" flag appears in the bottom-right of the window, and in the other album "HiFI" appears.

(The MDAC displays "24bit/96.0kHz" with both tracks, whether the Tidal indicator reads "Master" or "HiFi" - I guess the MDAC's display simply depends upon how the Windows "Playback/Properties/Advanced" control panel is set.)

'The hi-res audio streams will typically be 96 kHz/24 bit, according to Tidal, as opposed to the 44.1 kHz/16 bit CD-quality streams on the hi-fi tier. This can be activated by going into the 'Settings" menu, and choosing the "HiFi/Master" quality under “Streaming".'

Note that it is possible to find tracks to A/B. If you can find two versions of an album (as I have) you can play the same track from the two albums and in one album the "Master" flag appears in the bottom-right of the window, and in the other album "HiFI" appears.

And are they definitely the same version (apart from MQA/not MQA) and level-matched?

'The hi-res audio streams will typically be 96 kHz/24 bit, according to Tidal, as opposed to the 44.1 kHz/16 bit CD-quality streams on the hi-fi tier. This can be activated by going into the 'Settings" menu, and choosing the "HiFi/Master" quality under “Streaming".'
I believe that Tidal are being disingenuous. I believe that they are neglecting to point out that you need to go out and buy new hardware. Again, I hope I am wrong.

And are they definitely the same version (apart from MQA/not MQA) and level-matched?
Of two pairs of tracks I tried, one pair sounded level-matched, and the other did not. The "Master" version sounded quieter than the "HiFi" version, which I guess offers us some hope.

The two pairs sounded to be the same music/recording/mix down.

Audioquest have announced that MQA will be enabled (free upgrade) in DragonFly Red and Black later this month.

And at the same time Tidal have begun to stream MQA.

www.computeraudiophile.com/f8-gener...really-tidal-and-software-decoding-etc-31151/

www.computeraudiophile.com/f22-netw...ming/tidal-master-mqa-tidal-27528/#post619719

Dear John, please can we include the possibility of a software upgrade to MQA in MDAC2?

From last year (click the quote(s) for full thread context as these quotes are literally taken out of context):
Well as a designer I'm also against MQA and have also decided to "Boycott" MQA.

I just see MQA as a cynical attempt at creating license fees... many other designers and I (such as Rob Watts) have been using similar filters designs that Meridian are now preaching about and somehow trying to "package" within the MQA process as there own...
I don't see MQA as a major player - and never will be... besides just like USB2.0, XMOS will make an "idiots solution" for all...

I really loose no sleep over MQA its just pure BS.
Considering the licensing fees to Meridian and the amount of NDA traffic (and also the fact that you have to give them basically all your design secrets to give you the decryption key, according to more than one source), I don't see MQA support as likely in MDAC2/FDAC. At least not in the short-ish term.

Also probably best to not spread generic MQA discussion outside that one topic (not this one), there's been enough hype last year all over the forum.

My initial thoughts on MQA aligns with John's, something of a DRM in disguise.

However things may change and maybe we should have an open mind vs MQA. If MQA really improves SQ, as some reviewers are saying, why not keep an open door/mindset and evaluate MQA tech/SQ as we go along.

I for one don't have the full picture/details on MQA's impact on the design of a DAC or the secrets that has to be revealed to Meridian. There's always agreements that can address these concerns.

Think so, had a Furutech/ADL GT40 a few years ago. Connected to my TT, using the phono pre and ADC outputting digital to my then MDAC.

Worked brilliantly!

Audioquest have announced that MQA will be enabled (free upgrade) in DragonFly Red and Black later this month.

And at the same time Tidal have begun to stream MQA.

www.computeraudiophile.com/f8-gener...really-tidal-and-software-decoding-etc-31151/

www.computeraudiophile.com/f22-netw...ming/tidal-master-mqa-tidal-27528/#post619719

Dear John, please can we include the possibility of a software upgrade to MQA in MDAC2?

MQA licensing requires you to summit full schematics to Meridian, have no Digital output (no Slave interfaces etc) no Post processing (DSP / FPGA).

IMO I see MQA as just being a cynical attempt at DRM to aplease record company's with the aura of "improved audio quality" to sell to the gullible...

For sure better Digital filters is a good thing but why wrap it up with the DRM!

DSD for me with non of this rubbish!

Read a little bit about it, not interested. Seems messy and not ideal.

If the license allows software decoding (which may be the case with Tidal) it becomes a bit easier, though I can't see Meridian donating a MQA license to the Squeezelite community, which is what I rely on for streaming.

Maybe the music industry needs to face up to the fact that the war was lost ages ago, and they will need to find another way to monetise their product.

Yes is seems messy and it is not cleare what is required.

I got a mail from Tidal saying that you can play MQA only from the desktop App.
On the Roon forum those that have DACs that have official MQA support can play MQA tracks from Tidal with Roon because Roon will simply send the stream untouched to the DAC.

So apparently you do not need special hardware to decode MQA this can be done in software which I suspected all the time. But marketing imply that you need special hardware.

So I will only try MQA if Roon is allowed to make the decoding on the server so it will work with any DAC.

If the license allows software decoding (which may be the case with Tidal) it becomes a bit easier, though I can't see Meridian donating a MQA license to the Squeezelite community, which is what I rely on for streaming.

Maybe the music industry needs to face up to the fact that the war was lost ages ago, and they will need to find another way to monetise their product.
Yes there is better chances that you will see Roon do it.

Edit:
Just read on Roon forum that Roon MQA decoding is going to happen in a later release, but not in the imminent 1.3

So no need to implement anything on the DAC :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back