advertisement

System pics 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm entirely unconvinced - is that what you meant......?

Sorry, but I really couldn't build you, or anyone else, any stands, as I explained (they really are a massive PITA to make) - sorry if this pissed you off but that is the case!

It's not the case at all Mark, I tried them on some high mass tripod stands, and then I came up with this design, so much better, others think so too and they look better to boot; in keeping with their '70s vibe.

I know you like to tinker and always think you are right, you might be tempted to stick your magnetic bearing on our old top plate or redesign a flat sub chassis or a speed controller.

That said I wish you a Happy New year.

that was my hope! the Zu weighs 14 grams -- do you think that gets me in the ballpark, mass-wise? (i think it sounds great, in any case...)

The manual for the Aro states that it can take carts up to 12 gm so 14 is a bit over actually. I also have the Zu 103 and an Aro. The heavier Aro counterweight sounds better I think.

Currently I prefer the Denon 103 Pro which has the same weight as the standard 103 but with better compliance. However there's not a huge difference between this cart and the Zu. I love them both and don't feel the need for a 'better' (read: more expensive) cartridge.

I bet that is a really fun system. Love the room, nice looking bit of furniture and do you remember what paint you used? Got that classy Craig & Rose look about it, would love to know which one.

Thanks I think it's good fun. The paint is (as far as I can remember) a dulux match of farrow and ball chapel green as f&b paint is rubbish compared to dulux vinyl matte.

32009093456_7dd0d15906_c.jpg
31930258631_83ff91545b_c.jpg

This year saw the addition of a Karmen (thank you Mark), a replacement XV1S and an NS01 from Winchester Hifi (so the Flatcap XS for the CD player had to be removed to avoid any growth in a stack that is already too high), some SH HD800s (thank you Justin) and the introduction of a cat, requiring LPs to be played with the (dusty) lid in place.

The Karmen has been a worthwhile upgrade from the Khan, and I love the look of the black top plate/ Keel/ black plinth. The old XV1S lasted 3 1/2 years, probably between 1200 and 1500 hours I reckon. At the end it was pretty distorted on quite a few of my LPs: the new one has been a fantastic improvement. The NS01 was bought to reduce stylus wear and offers reasonable playback of 24 bit music, and a quick rip of CDs for lower quality. Although it does internet radio, for some reason it won't pick up the cricket on R5 Sports Extra. The NAT05 sounds better the internet radio alternatives, but I do like the Linn Jazz channel. Unfortunately it doesn't pick up Tidal but I have also bought an AK100 Mk11 (thank you Richard) and a Mojo which plays Tidal from my iPhone pretty well, normally through HD650s with a Cardas cable. It also plays Tidal offline downloads OK through the main system, but not with the musicality of vinyl. I might give Qobuz a try later in the month.

The Obs 2s are still fantastic (the cat used to jump onto the pyramidal tops to my horror but has been dissuaded from doing so).

No plans to change anything at the moment - I would like to move the black boxes onto 3 tiers but cannot in my current abode. Given the feedback Super Lumina is tempting, but stupidly expensive and I am not sure whether I can arrange the cables carefully enough in the current rack. I think Powerlines might be my next step. Hopefully a move at the end of the year will allow me a music specific room, and I will probably buy the superb looking Quadraspire Reference-X to support the LP12. Once I have the extra space I will put the FCXS back to power the CD5 and will consider an NDAC for the NS01. For now it's all sounding lovely and just about meets the aesthetic demands of SWMBO.

System overview: Black Ash LP12/ Keel/ Karmen/ Cirkus/ Radikal-D/ EkosSE/ sKale/ DV XV1s/ T-Kable/ Whest ps.30 rdt se/ 252/ SCDR/ 300DR/ Headline2/ HicapDR/ HD800/ NS01/ Whest dap.10/ CD5/ NAT 05/ Quadraspire/ NACA5/ Oak Shahinian Ob2s

32009093456_7dd0d15906_c.jpg
31930258631_83ff91545b_c.jpg

This year saw the addition of a Karmen (thank you Mark), a replacement XV1S and an NS01 from Winchester Hifi (so the Flatcap XS for the CD player had to be removed to avoid any growth in a stack that is already too high), some SH HD800s (thank you Justin) and the introduction of a cat, requiring LPs to be played with the (dusty) lid in place.

The Karmen has been a worthwhile upgrade from the Khan, and I love the look of the black top plate/ Keel/ black plinth. The old XV1S lasted 3 1/2 years, probably between 1200 and 1500 hours I reckon. At the end it was pretty distorted on quite a few of my LPs: the new one has been a fantastic improvement. The NS01 was bought to reduce stylus wear and offers reasonable playback of 24 bit music, and a quick rip of CDs for lower quality. Although it does internet radio, for some reason it won't pick up the cricket on R5 Sports Extra. The NAT05 sounds better the internet radio alternatives, but I do like the Linn Jazz channel. Unfortunately it doesn't pick up Tidal but I have also bought an AK100 Mk11 (thank you Richard) and a Mojo which plays Tidal from my iPhone pretty well, normally through HD650s with a Cardas cable. It also plays Tidal offline downloads OK through the main system, but not with the musicality of vinyl. I might give Qobuz a try later in the month.

The Obs 2s are still fantastic (the cat used to jump onto the pyramidal tops to my horror but has been dissuaded from doing so).

No plans to change anything at the moment - I would like to move the black boxes onto 3 tiers but cannot in my current abode. Given the feedback Super Lumina is tempting, but stupidly expensive and I am not sure whether I can arrange the cables carefully enough in the current rack. I think Powerlines might be my next step. Hopefully a move at the end of the year will allow me a music specific room, and I will probably buy the superb looking Quadraspire Reference-X to support the LP12. Once I have the extra space I will put the FCXS back to power the CD5 and will consider an NDAC for the NS01. For now it's all sounding lovely and just about meets the aesthetic demands of SWMBO.

System overview: Black Ash LP12/ Keel/ Karmen/ Cirkus/ Radikal-D/ EkosSE/ sKale/ DV XV1s/ T-Kable/ Whest ps.30 rdt se/ 252/ SCDR/ 300DR/ Headline2/ HicapDR/ HD800/ NS01/ Whest dap.10/ CD5/ NAT 05/ Quadraspire/ NACA5/ Oak Shahinian Ob2s

Glad you're enjoying it!!

Happy New Year,

Mark

Current state of play:

System #1 (main):

31238785903_64afe40641_b.jpg

Thorens TD-124/II, SME 3009, Ortofon 540/II, Croft RIAA, Rega Apollo-R, Deltec PDM3, JC Verdier Control B, 2x Quad 303, 15" Tannoy Monitor Golds in early '60s Lockwood Universal Major cabs, Decca Kelly DK30 ribbons as supertweeters (separately driven by one of the 303s). Rather ungainly at present with far more boxes than I'd like. I'll eventually get shut of the Croft if I can figure out how to lower the capacitance of the Verdier phono stage (it is searingly bright with the Ortofon carts). I quite fancy comparing the Verdier to a Conrad Johnson PV12, so if one of those crops up mint, boxed and at the right price this year I may take a punt.

System #2 (Record Shop):

28443823644_44651f2e87_b.jpg

Marantz SA-8005, Sony ST-5150, Audio Synthesis PAS-02, Leak Stereo 20, JR149s on Target R4 stands. The Quad 303 sitting doing nothing in the pic is now driving the ribbon tweeters in the main system. Changes here being the SACD player and tuner.

System #3 (TV):

27748510621_b887d2e65e_b.jpg

Sony TV, Cambridge 752BD multi-format disc spinner/DAC, Decware Zen SE84UFO, Klipsch La Scalas. The little 2.3 Watt Decware is the only change here hence it gets the pic!

I'm not after any major changes anywhere so it will likely be another quiet year (none of the above have changed much from last year's pics).

Any minute now someone is going to say "Tony, I love that stand your turntable is on - where did you get it?" - someone asks that every time you post a picture of it :).

Personally, I rather like the flamboyant cabling of that little power amp - very 'audiophile'...

Technics SL10
Pro-Ject Carbon Comfort
Marantz PM701 KI Signature
Celestion Ditton 551

Total cost of system: £900

dateposted-public

SL10 now gone and Dittons being replaced with Bose Acoustimass that cost me 80 quid. Times are hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back