advertisement

System recommendations - what next?

Pjhobson

Been enjoying my system for a while now, but can't help thinking it needs a bit more weight low down. Thought I'd try and tap into the vast knowledge of PFM.

My current setup is:
  • Rega P3-24 + exact + mini a2d
  • Naim Nail XS
  • Spendor S3e + dreadnought stands

Any thoughts? I'm wondering if the speakers aren't up to the job. Thanks.

I have always found that speakers make the biggest change to the sound of a system
make sure that they are setup correctly for your room ......takes a fair bit of time but well worth the effort , no matter how good the speakers if there in a bad position It kills the sound

If you have the space buy the Harbeth HL-C7ES2 in the classifieds. Bargain and sound incredible with Naim IME.

I moved my speakers a little recently for practical reasons, and was amazed at the difference it made. If you haven't done so, try them at different distances from walls etc.

I'd change the phono stage and possibly the speakers too, or optimise the position as others have suggested.

Been enjoying my system for a while now, but can't help thinking it needs a bit more weight low down. Thought I'd try and tap into the vast knowledge of PFM.

My current setup is:
  • Rega P3-24 + exact + mini a2d
  • Naim Nail XS
  • Spendor S3e + dreadnought stands

Any thoughts? I'm wondering if the speakers aren't up to the job. Thanks.

How low in terms of bass do the Spendors extend, if you measured your room acoustically you would see exactly to what extent and at what frequency the speakers roll off, it is also possible that you are sitting in a null so it might be worth walking around the room, while playing some bass prevalent music or test frequencies.
You could also feed your room's dimensions into an online room mode calculator the 'hunecke' one is easily understood.
Keith

Thanks for the input all.

I've had a play before with speaker position, currently ~15cm from the wall behind, toed in slightly.

The room is approx 5m by 3.5m with the speakers mid way down the longer length (necessitated by french doors).

Keith - thanks for the link, very interesting and will give that a go when I've got time to read up.

The easiest way to experiment with the sound is through the TT, try new carts or arms, I don't know the phono stage, so can't comment. You could of course try a different sort of TT, vintage direct drive, or higher spec belt drive. But the cart is I guess the cheapest and most flexible option for you.

I went from from a budget phono stage to an Aria and got much, much more from the Exact.

Sorry, forgot to mention, I've also got a NAD C421 feeding a Chord QuteHD for digital duties. Difference low down isn't massive which makes me think it isn't input related.

Seanm - thanks, will investigate.

What is the actual frequency range for your speakers , how low are they supposed to go?
Using digital source rules out vinyl vagaries, you could also download REW ( room EQ wizard) use the online room mode calculator and then use the frequency generator function of REW , you can walk around the room and hear the peaks and troughs .
Keith

If you want weight, maybe change speakers, but I'm quite old school in terms of system building so would therefore advocate turntable upgrades first. I've heard enough systems with a first class source using quality amplification to know that speakers albeit critical in terms of their relationship with the room, do not drive quality.

The room is approx 5m by 3.5m with the speakers mid way down the longer length (necessitated by french doors).

That's similar to mine (which is 4.5 x 3.5), so I might be able to advise, but I'm not clear about your positioning. Can you link a photo? Can you have the speakers firing downwards? If so, can you give them a good amount of space behind?

As always, you'll only get clear advice if you suggest a budget, and a sense of what you are missing or looking for.

Not sure those speakers are capable of producing much weight low down. Mind you sometimes this can be a good thing if your room or potential placement within that room is limited. I use Thiel CS6s in a 6x4m room and the bottom end is superb after some room treatments and when the speakers are literally 1/3 into the room. But in a 5x3m room they sounded a bit ponderous. Have you tried firing accross the room rather than down the length of it?

Can you link a photo?

image.jpg

Nice room. I'd try playing about with speaker position first. Try for an equilateral triangle with the listening position, i.e. get them out wider. Close together always sounds too small to me.

Yes, you are really in need of width. I am limited with regards to firing across my room because of an awkwardly placed door, which means I have to put the speakers very wide indeed, close to the corners of a 4.5m room. With a 3.5m length to fire across you are also a bit limited with space behind the speakers, but that's not too big a concern. I don't know what's happening in your alcove on the right, but if you can get the speakers really wide into the alcoves and then toe in you should have a totally different experience. If there's a hole in the middle then push them back closer together.

Plan is to have a cupboard and shelves built into the dark grey alcove, far alcove has a radiator in it.

Will need to speak with the other half with regards to widening them out, reckon I can eek out another foot.

advertisement

Back