advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00110010)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes its kinda cozy - sadly next year I'll spend more time in China on the production line... :(

Mind you, tomorrow the Powers cut from 7.30am to 15.30 - have NO idea what I'll do, the weather so bad and Renata's at Uni... the electricity supply is worst here then China!

Oh that´s easy, maybe going to the next parcel shop! :D

Ok, just joking.

Get some break from all the hard work and travelling.

My old dog would desperately need a wee in the morning and would bark at the door until someone came down in the morning to let her out, but if it was bad weather (cold rain or snow) she would just look at me as though I was an idiot and would rather hold it in as long as she could manage than go out. Ha. Some dogs have real character!

Congrats on the delivery of the #1 superior unit. Great to post to see. Those measurements are impressive. Can you hear the benefits of such low THD..?

Come on, it's not that bad. :) At least no more super hot days!

Well I really feel the cold - I prefer the heat, although not when its above 25Deg in the Lab for too long... I just miss Hong Kong, so in some ways looking forward to our designs reaching production so I can spend more time in Asia - but then on the other hand, I don't want to leave Renata or the Pups!!!

Hi John
I need to decide what to do about my Fusion. I've been advertising it for sale, but no luck so far. The bulging caps are a further complicating factor. My options would seem to be:
1. Keep it as a Fusion and ask you to replace the caps, or
2. Use it as a donor for a MDAC2

Option 2 doesn't seem to make sense, but 1 doesn't help me really because I need 2 identical DACs for my active system.

Have you any thoughts or see any other options? Skype message me if you'd prefer to go off line.
Cheers

Ian,

I'd go for option 1. and add an advanced clock board - this will bring a decent improvement :) shame to waste a Full Fusion on an MDAC2 upgrade....

John
I know it would be a waste to use it as a MDAC2 donor. But I need 2 similar DACs, one for the left channel and the other for the right channel. Would my Fusion and a MDAC2 have the same gain and the same latency?

Yes its kinda cozy :) - sadly next year I'll spend more time in China on the production line... :(

Mind you, tomorrow the Powers cut from 7.30am to 15.30 - have NO idea what I'll do, the weather so bad and Renata's at Uni... the electricity supply is worst here then China!

Go grid connected with battery backup. Solar+wind generation, pile of batteries and a smart inverter/charge controller. Sized correctly you can keep working whilst everyone else is in the dark.

There isn't until you hear one with a 5 rail regulated supply.

Very much this... I have the original Soverign+ DC that JohnW modified years ago (around the time of the Soverign mods). It has all Soverign+ mods plus stripping out all AC rectification and splitting the rails so it requires a dedicated 5 rail PSU.. I built a 5 rail psu with lots of tweaks, 5 winding toroid with Electrostatic screen and EMI/RFI Shield, 5 seperate channels of hexfred rectification, CRCRC tailored around the loads and then 5 SuperTeddyRegs. All cable lengths kept as short as is sensible, plus care with the wiring and internal layout to reduce the risk of any crosstalk/noise.

It sounds sublime, and when you hear a 'standard' Mdac next to it the difference is pretty big.

The rectification/ regulation board in the MDAC does seem to be a weak link and as I recall John has confirmed that the regulation on at least one of the rails is below par.

With the MDAC2 I'm not clear whether there will a new and upgraded on-board AC-DC board, or whether the required external PS will provide the rectified / regulated 5 rails.

The rectification/ regulation board in the MDAC does seem to be a weak link...

Seems to me there are three key weak (or, more accurately, not-strong) links:

1. Analogue output. I gather that the MDAC2's analogue output will be as good as the FDAC's (within the capabilities for screening in the tiny MDAC casework).
2 USB input. I gather that the FDAC's USB noise & jitter rejection will not be adequate, and so a Detox is required in addition. I am therefore assuming that the MDAC2 will perform as well as the FDAC in terms of USB noise & jitter rejection (i.e., the MDAC2 will depend upon the Detox no more or less than the FDAC will.)
3. Supply of power. I am curious to establish if the MDAC2's supply of power (i.e. PSU, rectification, regulation etc) will be as good as the FDAC's. Because this seems to be a critical area (or critical not-strong link, if you prefer).

Well that does imply a new rectification/ regulation board, but if that is the case why is a new external PS needed? More VA required??

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back