advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00110010)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So is a replacement board happening for the normal MDAC now? i know i've got some payments down but i cant remeber how many its been that long, and i've got an MDAC just sitting here, but i'm lost as to whats going on (as always!) ;)

I can't see this working.

Surely most people who've signed up for the FDAC don't want an MDAC2. (Unless they just like collecting DACs ...) So the production of the MDAC2 is more likely to p*ss people off, as it's going to delay the FDAC.
I'd settle for a bird in the hand. Even at the risk of driving the two in the bush further in the bush.

I actually signed up for the FDAC and nothing else.
But understand that many just wanted a modded MDAC and have waited a long time.
So I will just have to wait now, I find it frustrating but understand the sitution.
I would however like some new timeline as I originally thought it would be before this Christmas and then just after but now have no idea.

I was interested in having resistors upgraded etc, but the mdac2 project was moving along and I thought this was because the individual upgrades could be answered with a solution that would be less overall effort and more gain (original scope MDAC2).

This morphed into the FDAC and having bought into the philosophy of a creative engineer having the freedom to create and iterate as he pleases sounded good to me, but with time having clocked along I'm now in a position where I really do need to solve the dying MDAC I have and I still need EQ/DRC on the device itself to properly benefit.

I want the product John really wants to make, but might consider switching to MDAC2 short term given my MDAC is on its way out and I need something right away. I suppose I should have a look and see what the MDAC2 is really all about! Until recently I didn't actually know that it was causing delays, I thought it was just an option for those that were against the switch to FDAC (and maybe a bit bizarrely, I thought it might speed things up but I probably misunderstood).

The fact the option to switch, or enjoy both choices at reduced rates has been available is pretty decent.

Hi John

I've been following the thread and I know that you are very busy. I can only imagine the amount of hard work that is required to run your own business. Have you read Schiit's book, "Schiit Happened"? I'm just over half way through, it is very entertaining and offers some insight into the trials and tribulations of the hi-fi startup.

If you the have chance to look at my MDAC for repair during the coming weeks I would be very appreciative.

Many thanks

mrflibble

mrflibble,

Please remind me once again about your unit and I'll work on it today and get it shipped back to you as soon as its been repaired....

So while we have some time on our hands another group buy for the Bruno Putzeys balanced preamp has started.

This works extremely well with the Mdac. Allowing full output 0/+3db from the Mdac (no attenuation of the digital signal).

It has 2 fully balanced inputs, allowing for a TT or similar (no phono stage before you ask) input.

PCB and parts cost around £ 100, Plydac case extra :D

Using the part populated board (SMD's fitted) it can be up and running in an evening.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/grou...tzeys-balanced-preamp-group-buy-part-3-a.html

mrflibble,

Please remind me once again about your unit and I'll work on it today and get it shipped back to you as soon as its been repaired....

Hi John

My unit is black still with the protection cover on the display. It's serial number is: AH001842BLBO243 . I included a cover letter.

There was an intermittent power up issue which you suspected was a duff crystal. Some of the capacitors were starting to bulge. I changed my mind about having the clock upgrade, and would just like it repaired / serviced.

The power up issue seemed to go away after flashing to the latest firmware. In my cover letter I forgot to mention that since flashing to the latest firmware I started to experience glitches to do with the USB buffer running empty. There was an error message associated with this, but can't remember what it was exactly.

Many thanks

mrflibble

So while we have some time on our hands another group buy for the Bruno Putzeys balanced preamp has started.

This works extremely well with the Mdac. Allowing full output 0/+3db from the Mdac (no attenuation of the digital signal).

It has 2 fully balanced inputs, allowing for a TT or similar (no phono stage before you ask) input.

PCB and parts cost around £ 100, Plydac case extra :D

Using the part populated board (SMD's fitted) it can be up and running in an evening.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/grou...tzeys-balanced-preamp-group-buy-part-3-a.html

Do you know if it's possible to run a ht bypass on this? I would need an input without volume control from my AV receiver.

Does anyone recall how much the fusion Mdac cost? Reason for asking is that it's just crossed my mind that if I sold it, I could purchase a faulty Mdac and use the remainder for the Mdac2. Timing is everything ... but maybe of use if anyone's Mdac is on the blink and fancies an upgrade. Would save John the time and effort repairing as well.

Hello, is anybody interested in my mdac2 development payment
MDAC2 Installment:: Combined 1st - 4th Development Installments

If anyone will want to get the development improvement, here is the chance for taking up my place.

Hello,

Just starting a listening session today i found that no sound came from my Left speaker. First though was to check cables/amp (exchanging inputs) and the problem leads me to MDAC. I then examine the balance long pushing the knob and it shows me not a normal balance screen but something with signs like < or ? on the top of the value. I try to reboot and the same thing happens. I then try to turn the knob to make the balance to the left and, after something like 30 turns the screen becames normal (and sound came back !!!).
I wonder what has happened... I run the same A.10 firmware since i'm waiting for the MDAC2/FDAC (meaning yearS) :)

Has anyone experienced such thing ?

Bests,

Do you know if it's possible to run a ht bypass on this? I would need an input without volume control from my AV receiver.

I use mine with the volume set to allow 0db and then the Mdac remote for +/-
3db for fine tuning.

I now feed the sound input from my Freesat box into my Mdac via optical.

Simples, the sound stage from my Quad ESL's /sub is so encompassing that extra high,extra rear and even centre speakers are not neccessary.

I actually signed up for the FDAC and nothing else.
But understand that many just wanted a modded MDAC and have waited a long time.
So I will just have to wait now, I find it frustrating but understand the sitution.
I would however like some new timeline as I originally thought it would be before this Christmas and then just after but now have no idea.

Yes, this is my problem. I'm faced with a choice between accepting the MDAC2 (within the next few months, presumably) or bailing out altogether and buying something off the shelf like the latest Benchmark DAC, or perhaps a Mytek. Average male life expectancy in the UK is around 79. Next year I'll be 77. It's not rational for me to wait for the FDAC, which is now several products after the MDAC2. So I suppose, for me, it's a calculation as to whether the MDAC2, which I might have by Easter, will be better than the Benchmark (etc), which I could have next week.

- Richard.

Yes, this is my problem. I'm faced with a choice between accepting the MDAC2 (within the next few months, presumably) or bailing out altogether and buying something off the shelf like the latest Benchmark DAC, or perhaps a Mytek. Average male life expectancy in the UK is around 79. Next year I'll be 77. It's not rational for me to wait for the FDAC, which is now several products after the MDAC2. So I suppose, for me, it's a calculation as to whether the MDAC2, which I might have by Easter, will be better than the Benchmark (etc), which I could have next week.

- Richard.

I'm also considering MDAC2 but looking at alternatives, Benchmark among them. Also, Oppo is about to release their Sonica DAC, 799USD. ES9038pro chip, analogue input, DSD, plus other interesting features.

- Richard.

I'd really like to think bailing out was still an option. Are there still people joining the project?

Well myself and Mr RJPCardoso went to the High End HiFi Show today in Windsor - Beautiful venue!

I have to profess that there was not one system there that blew our socks off, although some were perceivable better by what I think was down to Source material being played.

All of these High End systems had elements of vocal sibilance to them irrespective, some subtly more than others, but none sounded 'liquid' to my ears, not even the B&W 800D3 to my great surprise! There were some extremely expensive turntables too which looked exorbitantly over-engineered, yet to my ears seemed to produce nothing more than the others to write home about

MartinLogan also had some new models, but we were not overly impressed and we actually preferred the MagnePlanar setups (the 1.7i in a smaller room was quite snappy and slightly warmer than the other dipole systems we listened to) ;-)

My worry is that we have already reached the top (some time ago) and we are all chasing something that may not exist, i.e. chasing the dragon... honestly, after listening to all these exotic systems today I realise my paltry Oppo, nCore and Monitor Audio Platinum combination is actually pretty similar in most respects, maybe just wouldn't play as loud as some others ;-)

Can only hope something revolutionary may come after all this from Mr LakeWest ...still onboard for FDAC, but if this doesn't do it, may be time for a less expensive and more fruitful hobby :)

Hi John

My unit is black still with the protection cover on the display. It's serial number is: AH001842BLBO243 . I included a cover letter.

There was an intermittent power up issue which you suspected was a duff crystal. Some of the capacitors were starting to bulge. I changed my mind about having the clock upgrade, and would just like it repaired / serviced.

The power up issue seemed to go away after flashing to the latest firmware. In my cover letter I forgot to mention that since flashing to the latest firmware I started to experience glitches to do with the USB buffer running empty. There was an error message associated with this, but can't remember what it was exactly.

Many thanks

mrflibble

mrflibble,

Yes - your clock is very unwell - with varying levels of Jitter which would account for the SQ issues you experienced:-

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86116171/500pS Jitter.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86116171/MDAC Jitter.jpg

I've replaced various Caps & added a few more for performance tweaks, tomorrow I'll add the new clock circuit.

- Richard.

Richard,

Within 3 months or so you will see first production DAC's designs from myself and Jarek :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back