advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00110010)

Status
Not open for further replies.
From my point of view and having enrolled for Detox, Fdac and Vfets, what would be really useful is to understand the next steps for each stream and what is JohnW vision on timelines as of today. It may slip and no one will judge but at least we can understand what we are working on and aiming for at the moment.

JohnW I understand you may be reluctant in proving dates, but you shouldn't. See it as just sharing your vision as of today and that tomorrow it can change based on a several number of variables.

Keep up the good work.

Yes agree with this I feel the same

The only answer I have at this time is that Detox and MDAC2 are the priority projects this side of Christmas - Detox for sure will be first, followed by MDAC2 into production.

Bare in mind the MDAC2 "At Cost" is around GBP200 - GBP250 (+Vat and shipping) its not such a expensive upgrade and will be based upon FDAC but without the frills... the intent is to keep people happier until we have completed the FDAC.

Ignoring the GBP / US$ collapse and where the GBP will be in 6 months is anyone's guess, I don't see any change in costings from those listed on the FDAC website.

I guess what I was really trying to establish was: will there be other products between delivery of the MDAC2 and delivery of the FDAC?

- Richard.

I guess what I was really trying to establish was: will there be other products between delivery of the MDAC2 and delivery of the FDAC?

- Richard.

Maybe the VFET's as we will have the MDAC2 which will be very decent, and we then REALLY need decent power amps.... the MiniAmps will be progressing slowly in the background depending on timing of the main projects.

I'm very interested in a pair of low cost mono amp, obviously because they will be designed by John. VFET is too expensive and oversized for my needs.

GBP400 development fee (transferable from FDAC if wished) + PCB etc. "At cost"... Those who decide on the MDAC2 can later rejoin the FDAC at a 50% development fee.

Thanks for clarification.

So if someone is already made development payments for FDAC L3 + Phono Stage, he/she need to pay additional GBP100 development fee to get both FDAC (L3 + Phono Stage) and MDAC2 upgrade "At cost".

mini amps is a waste of time IMO

due to the exceptionally long wait for Westlake products, I plumped for a BTL suite, the crowdfunding performance was less than expected for a low cost mono amp from an established vendor

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/matrix-mini-i-pro-2-and-mini-i-amp-hifi-suite-headphones#/

do you really expect to fare any better ?

p.s. I have a pair of Auralic Merak sitting idle if you need decent amps

Are you joking here? the linked amps are non thing more then ICE power ClassD amplifier modules.

The little MiniAmps will be based on a higher power "Sample 104" circuit which is currently driving my CLSIIz's rather impressively all things considered...

I'm very interested in a pair of low cost mono amp, obviously because they will be designed by John. VFET is too expensive and oversized for my needs.

+1.
I wouldn't mind replacing my six monoblocs (Lk280s) if these could do 100W into 8 ohms and 200 into 4 ohms...I too want lots of current....but I would like a home demo first, maybe a pair for loaning out by Westlake would be a good idea....OK.OK.OK.OK....let's talk about these after the mdac2...;)

If there is a plan to run FDAC production regularly, will it be possible to have it with SACD transport? Or licensing still will be too expensive?

+1.
I wouldn't mind replacing my six monoblocs (Lk280s) if these could do 100W into 8 ohms and 200 into 4 ohms...I too want lots of current....but I would like a home demo first, maybe a pair for loaning out by Westlake would be a good idea....OK.OK.OK.OK....let's talk about these after the mdac2...;)

Yes, the amps will be design for lots of "Short Term" current = Energy stored in the Caps.

If there is a plan to run FDAC production regularly, will it be possible to have it with SACD transport? Or licensing still will be too expensive?

I'm not even sure SACD is really "Active" - and once the FDAC is priced at 5K (to non PFM project sponsors) then its production numbers will be small.

Are you joking here? the linked amps are non thing more then ICE power ClassD amplifier modules.

The little MiniAmps will be based on a higher power "Sample 104" circuit which is currently driving my CLSIIz's rather impressively all things considered...

maybe a bit of a joke , mainly just totally frustrated with the timelines

sold my mdac when the fdac was touted, wishing I had now kept it

sold all my other decent kit as there was an intimation of Westlake product later this year

pretty pissed off tbh, but unwilling to jump ship due to the efforts I have already went to

doubt I am alone

I guess we shouldn't have been so demanding from the start - John wanted to please everybody and the result is an all-in-one FDAC with everything from CD replay, through many ADC options, Linux-based OS with support for whatever streaming exists in the world, DSP / room correction, AV bypass, color touchscreen with a custom UI doing just about everything in the world, master/slave interface and clocking logic for chaining multiple FDACs, external HDMI-connector-based expansion socket, internal DIC expansion slot/card, .... jesus christ, whatever happened to "do one thing and do it well"? :)

Enter John's inability to give up on the expected features and wanting to deliver the Ultimate Best Platform ever created, ... and, well, you end up where we are now. The feature scope of FDAC is just too big for a team of 2-3 people to complete in any sensible amount of time.

I too had the "single box syndrome" back when I wanted the perfect laptop - capable of computer games, with high-res IPS screen, great keyboard (Thinkpad T30 style), two ethernet ports for network analysis, two HDDs, very sturdy design, etc. I was so frustrated by IBM selling Thinkpads to Lenovo and subsequently Lenovo screwing them up and I didn't know where to go, because each laptop on the market had significant drawbacks to my ideal single-box idea.

Then a friend told me: "Why don't you buy a desktop? You can use whatever monitor/keyboard/HDD/graphic card/CPU you want and upgrade it whenever you want.". My counter-argument was "But it isn't portable! It isn't single-box!" .. and then I subsequently realized that I don't need either of those. I bought and assembled myself a desktop and have been living happy ever since.

Single-box solutions never work great unless designed explicitly for you. It's an obsession causing constant frustration with a product that does everything, but nothing well. IIRC FDAC gained all these features because John found out (after ~2014 trip to China) that pushing multiple boxes into production would be too big of an overhead and integration into FDAC seemed easier.

Anyway, let's hope we'll reach the (front) light (of FDAC) at the end of the tunnel some day. :)

"Single box syndrome" :D

To me it sounds like something you get if you let the wife make hifi decisions ;)

maybe a bit of a joke , mainly just totally frustrated with the timelines

sold my mdac when the fdac was touted, wishing I had now kept it

sold all my other decent kit as there was an intimation of Westlake product later this year

pretty pissed off tbh, but unwilling to jump ship due to the efforts I have already went to

doubt I am alone

Stephen,

Yes - understand, I'm sorry - I'll try my best to find away to keep you happy once the MDA2 PCB are ready, there's a few things making there way through the pipeline that I hope will keep you happy until the FDAC.

I didnt mean to sound rude about the amps you linked to, but they are nothing special...

Hi John

I've been following the thread and I know that you are very busy. I can only imagine the amount of hard work that is required to run your own business. Have you read Schiit's book, "Schiit Happened"? I'm just over half way through, it is very entertaining and offers some insight into the trials and tribulations of the hi-fi startup.

If you the have chance to look at my MDAC for repair during the coming weeks I would be very appreciative.

Many thanks

mrflibble

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back