advertisement

AT 95 cartridge.

mikegreenwood

pfm Member
Going to buy one of these to complete a turntable project. I have noticed a big variation in prices. i.e. from £23 to £40. Are there grey products on the market or is it just profiteering!
Amazon are asking £25 ish. My local hifi shop around £35.

Amazon might not pay tax. Your local hifi shop needs support. Ask them if they can get close on price or they might fit it for free, if they slip and break it's their fault etc. Then the price difference starts to disappear. I haven't heard of fakes.

Why doesn't anyone else think that supporting their local shop is a good idea? You'd be amazed what dealing with humans can be like!!

Expensive at any price. :cool:

Expensive at any price???!!!
Come off it! This cartridge was allegedly the devised 'inspirational model ' for one of Linn's of 'oh - so - perfect cartridges' that they flogged " to their 'impressed by big ticket price' hi fi snobs". :D:D:D Any wonder the hobby of Hi Fi gets rubbished, from time to time.
Rest assured - the Audio Technica AT 95 E gives excellent performance and goes well with many a modest priced TT, while tracking at its recommended 2 grams with its 004 x.007 elliptical stylus profile.
For some further price comparison that you are looking for.....( I :E in Australia) the full unit AT 95E in some quarters , goes for around a low $48 and the replacement stylus at $24.

Expensive at any price???!!!
Come off it! This cartridge was allegedly the devised 'inspirational model ' for one of Linn's of 'oh - so - perfect cartridges' that they flogged " to their 'impressed by big ticket price' hi fi snobs". :D:D:D Any wonder the hobby of Hi Fi gets rubbished, from time to time.
Rest assured - the Audio Technica AT 95 E gives excellent performance and goes well with many a modest priced TT, while tracking at its recommended 2 grams with its 004 x.007 elliptical stylus profile.
For some further price comparison that you are looking for.....( I :E in Australia) the full unit AT 95E in some quarters , goes for around a low $48 and the replacement stylus at $24.

I expressed an opinion. I don't like Marmite either.

Why doesn't anyone else think that supporting their local shop is a good idea? You'd be amazed what dealing with humans can be like!!

Maybe because paying 1.5x more for what's readily available elsewhere , well how can I put it, is plain stupid :D .

Maybe because paying 1.5x more for what's readily available elsewhere , well how can I put it, is plain stupid :D .

Like I said, have you tried asking for a discount? If you went at a quiet time would they fit it? Does your turntable need the once over?Might there be a better cart for your turntable, an Ortofon? There is a lot they could offer. Sometimes there is more to a purchase than price.......

I'm ok at fitting cartridges and to an extent looking after a Turntable. Just wondered why such a variation in prices and more so if there is a valid reason. Nothing against Ortofon although I do have a preference for ATs.

Who cares? For thrice the price there's nothing that comes close, until you get to the AT440mlb, which as high as you need to go for most turntables.

I once tried to buy an AT95e through my local Audio T and was basically told "piss off it's too cheap for us to be bothered with"

Let the tossers go bust I say with an attitude like that!

I once tried to buy an AT95e through my local Audio T and was basically told "piss off it's too cheap for us to be bothered with"

Let the tossers go bust I say with an attitude like that!
I agree, totally.

And for a business to really be telling any potential customer that their intended purchase is 'too cheap', then slams the door on that customer not only ever going again, but put paid to any follow-on recommendations to other friends to shop there.
With Hi Fi: over the years, I am sure many other fans have amusingly seen similar Hi Fi businesses possessing a pretentious attitude 'bite the dust'.;)

Though I understand the notion of supporting your local Hi-Fi shop I've had indifferent service from many of them. Sometimes their knowledge is lacking and they are often tied to supporting certain products. You ask to listen to a Rega speaker for example and they suggest an alternative immediately. Their need to compete with on line businesses has cheapened much of the service.I recently went to a well known shop to ask them to repair a turntable, they said they would contact the manufacturer and source the parts. After 3 weeks I phoned up. They told me that the manufacturer had not responded to their phone calls and this was typicical. So what did I do. I emailed the manufacturer in Germany. They emailed back within a day, apologised and sent the parts to the shop. They said they would let me have them for free so the shop should only charge for fitting. When I went to retrieve the turntable after a further few weeks, the shop owner told me that they had asked them to not charge for the parts. He was surprised. This is why I shop on line more.I've not yet had a bad experience and I've saved a mountain of money.

Thanks for the replies, I think the thread is getting a little side tracked now. I buy from both HiFi shops and on line. So spreading a little happiness all round. I also buy here on PF. I'm now happy the AT95s are not grey products.
One final bit of advice on stylus cleaners. Don't mind spending £20 or so but not into expensive wonder liquids.

The match striking surface of a folded book of matches (lead stearate) will clean the contact surfaces of the styli tip. A gentle drag of the book, back to front in the same direction that the vinyl travels, does the trick.

Credit to Linn Products for their 'Stylus Cleaner and Review Disposal Kit'.

Craig

cheaper AT95s are fine. I get them from Timestep / Sound Hi-Fi in Devon at I believe £23.65 and they arrive within a day or 2 and are genuine. Fantastic cartridge too, have been using one on my 1210 while i wait for a higher end cart to return from repair and the sound completely belies the price. Walks all over the Ortofon 2M red and many other budget carts.

advertisement

Back