advertisement

Your Loudspeaker history...

Eddie, these are the even bigger Ureis than the Pembroke bake off...you may be surprised!
Sharif, glad to see you prevailed...they're great speakers aren't they? And such a buzz to bring a classic back from the dead.

Eddie, these are the even bigger Ureis than the Pembroke bake off...you may be surprised!
Sharif, glad to see you prevailed...they're great speakers aren't they? And such a buzz to bring a classic back from the dead.

They're even bigger ! I didn't realise, great it'll be good to hear them.

Christ this'll take some remembering:

1) some ancient pair of AR speakers with perishing foam that died quickly
2) tangent monitor two's (little mini monitors that I got for £40, bright as hell)
3) tangent monitor 9 (much better, still bright ish, but peppy, fun and had some punch)
4) B&W P5 (found a set with a busted driver for £250 years ago, got them fixed for bargain high end, were miles beyond anything i'd owned) until......
5) Epos ES22 (showed just how dark, nasal, and shut in the B&W's sounded)
6) Epos ES30 (huge and impressive, but ultimately not as fun as the 22's and should have kept the former)
7) Mission 782 SE (quite good really, I was downsizing, they were pretty fab)
8) Dynaudio Audience 40 (yet more downsizing)
9) Monitor Audio SIlver S6 (a bit boomy but OK)
10) Dynaudio Contour 1.8 MkII (more like it)
11) Focal 1007be (now we're cooking by gas)
12) Tannoy Turnberry SE (wow!)
13) rega R3 (downsized to a small rega / naim system, quite tasty sounding though)
14) Castle Richmond 3's (far too warm n slushy, even after crossover mods)
15) Mission 780 SE (nice for small units)
16) Monitor Audio Silver S5 (do everything right that the S6's got wrong, and better balanced)

The last ones are my current speakers, and in the context of my system, one of the most balanced sounds ive had in my listening room!

I'd like to move up to the more recent Monitor Audio RX6's which by all accounts are a lovely balanced sounding unit that punch well above their weight.

1978 - Eagle 3 way things from Dixons (birthday present, first ever "hifi")
1982 - Spendor Preludes (still in Attic)
1994 - Epos Es22

(judging by other people's posts, I'm doing it wrong :))

BugBear

All dates approximate...

1980 - AR18s - blew both tweeters at a house party, but replaced 'under warranty' :)

1988 - Arcam Twos

1997 - SBLs
2003 - NBLs (disaster)
2004 - SL2s (fabulous)
2007 - n-Sat / n-Sub (a sub integration that very nearly works).
2009 - nothing at all :(

2011-present...
SBLs, Shahinnian Obs and Arcs, ATC Classic 50s then Tower 50s, IPLs...

Now - SBLs.

It seems I like SBLs. Would return to ATC if the relevant opportunity arose, though.

As a teenage music lover I didn't know anybody with enough money to own hifi but my Mum had a radiogram and I got a mono valve tape recorder for concerts and mucking about.
When I left home to start my apprenticeship I was desperate to have something to play my LPs on and I bought a Garrard SL75 chassis when I had saved enough. In my ignorance I didn't know the deck wouldn't have a cartridge and could only afford a ceramic one, which was just as well since wired in mono I could connect it to the microphone input of my tape recorder and have music. My first system :)
Next I built a Heathkit amp and built a pair of Wharfedale 8" RS/DDs into cabinets and I had stereo.
These were my speakers for my apprenticeship and first 2 years at Uni when I saved up for KEFkit 3s which I put into the biggest recommended cabinet.
I had these until my first proper job and then I bought some used Monitor Audio MA3s which were fantastic, fast and dynamic with non-boomy bass.
Following loads of adulation in the hifi press I decided Spendor BC1s would be my next speaker and found my nearest dealer, Paul Green in Bath. I went to have a listen and was massively disappointed. They were fantastic on speech and lightweight stuff but failed completely on orchestral music with lots of dynamics, and as I was a huge Mahler fan so they were useless to me. I ended up with Nightingale NM Point 5s which sounded so much better on Mahler than the Spendors it was funny.
Next came Yamaha NS1000s which I had heard before but couldn't afford at the time. I still have them and they are not for sale.
I had a good rise at work and saved up for some Sonus Faber Extremas which I enjoyed for a few years.
All these speakers had been bought from Paul over the years but the next step was in the USA. I went to Akron for a meeting with Goodyear Racing. One of the engineers was a brother hifi enthusiast who took me to his dealer who had Apogees on demo. I was bowled over and since they were much less expensive in the USA and the Akron dealer offered a discount I bought active Divas with the DAX crossover and had them shipped by the company who shipped or racing cars and spares.
These were enjoyed for quite a few years but another rise in pay got me onto a "get my final speakers" quest. I was in no rush so listened to everything I could for a couple of years. I had been hugely impressed by the Wilson Watt so a baseline was the Watt/Puppy initially (This was mid 90s). The (then) French Wilson importer was actually building a special room for the Wilson Grand Slamms which were coming, but before that the set of WAMMs he had supplied to a client were coming back to him for sale secondhand. Since they were said by many to be the best available I made an appointment to hear them. They were impressive but not as special as I was expecting and horrendously ugly. He was also the Goldmund distributor and had both Analog and Apologue on demo. I had never heard Goldmund speakers, and the brand was not much talked about in the UK but hearing them was a revelation. The musical timbre was the most natural I had ever heard and the bass was so natural, something really rare IME. It was a bit of a surprise.
The dealer told me Goldmund was about to replace the current range with the modular Epilog speakers so I arranged a comparison between the Epilogs and the B&W Nautilus which I love the styling of and had a splendid reputation too. This was my final compare. There was very little in it sound wise but the Epilog 1 only required one stereo amp and the Nautilus four, which meant with amps to do the Nautilus justice it was quite a lot more expensive so the Epilogs became my "final speakers" I added the Epilog 2 bass modules as soon as available and have had them for 20 years now.
Despite them being my "final speakers" I became intrigued by horns a couple of years ago and after listening to a few ended up buying a pair of Tune Audio Animas 2 years ago as well.
The last extravagance has been a pair of Devialet Phantoms which I consider superb value. I suspect if I had only come across Devialet in the last couple of years I wouldn't have paid any attention, since their web site and marketing are buttock-clenchingly embarrassing, but I actually came across them over 5 years ago before the LVMH investment when they were a tech company and, as an engineer, have been impressed by all their products.

in order of ownership
MY youth was with computer speakers.
Logitech 2.1
logitech 5.1
logitech 5.1 totl lol

I began making music:
yorville ysmp1
focal csm50

Got into hifi about 5 years ago:
Dynaco A25
DIY fonken fe127en
DIY Alpair 12p
DIY coral beta8
DIY Big 3-way speaker
reference 3a decapo be
Audio note AN J LX
Amphion one18. still own
Wilson Audio Cub 2
Chartwell ls3/5a
JBL LSR32. I still own
Tannoy 12 inch gold
Harbeth P3esr. I still own
ATC SCM7 V3

future:
DIY 3 way based on oberton coaxial driver.

Heybrook HB1
B&W DM560
B&W DM17 limited
Yamaha NS1000mm
Spendor S1
Harbeth Compact 7
Harbeth Compact 7ES2
Harbeth Compact 7ES3
Harbeth Super HL5 Plus

JR149
Epos ES11
Dynaudio Contour 1.1
Linn something (for a few months)
PMC Fact8
Harbeth SHL5+

I had the first two pairs for ages and the 1.1's for 12 years. I regret selling the 1.1 as I've bought P3ESR for the office and the 1.1 would have done the job admirably. The Linn was a s/h pair, a stupid idea and dead ugly, the Fact8 were good on demo and very pretty but deficient in some respects. The SHL5+ is gobsmacking good and will see me out unless Alan Shaw improves them, somehow.

1977 Goodmans RB35 (Let down by a really poor amplifier)
1979 Kef Celeste IV
1994 Mission 752 These were good in a very small living room
2010 TDL T-Line 3 These suit my larger room very well

1984 ITT C2-60
1989 BNS Quintet (1)
1993 Magnepan SMGb
1996 Quad ESL-57 (2)
2002 Quad ESL-63
2015 ProAc D40R

(1) was a tall Dutch standmount with Siare and Audax drivers and an ABR. Bought unheard based on a local review. Big mistake. For much less I could have gotten B&W DM100s, and for another year savings I could have gotten the Etude Ikaros. Both vastly better speakes.

(2) bought the ESLs on a whim, expecting to keep the Maggies for serious listening. You can image how quickly the roles got reversed.

I also have a running DIY project based around Robert's BMR-based AR22 tribute, but now DSP-active and with an SB Acoustics woofer. The AV system has Tannoy DC6T and DC4s, with a center speaker in storage until we remodel the room. Further lots of smaller speakers (KEF, Quad, Rogers, B&W, Fostex), and an XTZ DSP-active sub in the main system. I still have the ESL-57s, after a major rejuvenation in 2015. Also the 63s, but these have to go.

Can't remember whether I posted in here or not...

Mission 780SE were my first 'HiFi' speakers, after using things like computer speakers & mini systems.

Amphion Argon2
Amphion Argon3
Royd Sapphire MK1
Royd Minstrel
Royd Sorcerer SE (still own)
Royd RR3 (still own)

Main system:
Mission 70 II
Mission 737
TDL Studio 1
Martin Logan SL3 (ML Centre, ML Fresco Rear, ML Depth sub)
ATC 50ASL Towers (C4 Sub and 20-2As Rear)

Also have other speakers in secondary systems:
Blueroom Minipod
B&W CDM 2 (currently in the loft doing nothing and have been for about 8 years)
B&W CCM 80 (ceiling speakers)
Linn Diskreet (ceiling speakers)

I used to own some Kef in ceiling speakers but can't remember the model number.

As far as I can remember, this is in order from the late 90s

Technics SCHD70 speakers
Tannoy Mercury MX1
Tannoy DC1000
Tannoy Sensys DC1
CSS FR125S (DIY)
Rega R3
KEF XQ1
Tannoy HPD315's in OB (DIY)
Tannoy Cheviots
Omnes Audio L8 (DIY)
Silver Iris 10" Coaxials in OB (DIY)
Rega Jura
Bandor 50mm (DIY)
Veravox 5S BiB (DIY)
Veravox 5S Bipoles
Rega R7
Tannoy Mercury S
ATC SCM-7
Fostex FF225K Jericho Horns
Kord Tornado
Veravox 3 (Omnes Audio BB3.AL) (DIY)
Keesonic Kolt
Rega R1
ATC SCM10
Fountek FE87
IAS Prototypes
Keesonic Kolt
Wharfedale Diamond Active Plus
Acoustic Energy AE2
Kord Vulcan
Magnepan MMG
KEF Reference 104/2
Eclipse TD-508
Veravox 5S
Fostex FF225K
Klipsch Heresy II
DIY Actives
Rega Alya
Goodmans Axiom 201
ATC SCM10
Rega R9
Tannoy Devon
Tannoy Sirling HE
Kord Tornado
Vandersteen 1C
DIY Active Speakers
Rega R9

As far as I can remember, this is in order from the late 90s

Technics SCHD70 speakers
Tannoy Mercury MX1
Tannoy DC1000
Tannoy Sensys DC1
CSS FR125S (DIY)
Rega R3
KEF XQ1
Tannoy HPD315's in OB (DIY)
Tannoy Cheviots
Omnes Audio L8 (DIY)
Silver Iris 10" Coaxials in OB (DIY)
Rega Jura
Bandor 50mm (DIY)
Veravox 5S BiB (DIY)
Veravox 5S Bipoles
Rega R7
Tannoy Mercury S
ATC SCM-7
Fostex FF225K Jericho Horns
Kord Tornado
Veravox 3 (Omnes Audio BB3.AL) (DIY)
Keesonic Kolt
Rega R1
ATC SCM10
Fountek FE87
IAS Prototypes
Keesonic Kolt
Wharfedale Diamond Active Plus
Acoustic Energy AE2
Kord Vulcan
Magnepan MMG
KEF Reference 104/2
Eclipse TD-508
Veravox 5S
Fostex FF225K
Klipsch Heresy II
DIY Actives
Rega Alya
Goodmans Axiom 201
ATC SCM10
Rega R9
Tannoy Devon
Tannoy Sirling HE
Kord Tornado
Vandersteen 1C
DIY Active Speakers
Rega R9

Phew, that's 47 pairs, if I haven't lost count part way down the list. That's almost 3 new pairs a year!!!
I've heard of box swapping, but this sounds a bit extreme :)

Phew, that's 47 pairs, if I haven't lost count part way down the list. That's almost 3 new pairs a year!!!
I've heard of box swapping, but this sounds a bit extreme :)

Yes, it is a bit silly, some of the DIY ones and others I had at the same time, it was a particularly busy period in the middle where I was moving every year (University and then various houses after) so the listening room changed A LOT over the time.

There a quite a few that I have owned the same pairs multiple times, the ATC SCM10, Keesonic Kolt, Kord Tornado, Rega R9 are duplicated and the same physical pairs bought back.

From around the AE2s, I have had the same living room and a bit more disposable income hence the more 'esoteric' speakers on the list.

:D

KEF Cresta 3
Dynaudio Audience 60
Dynaudio Contour 1.3
Shahinian Arc (absolutely loved these with NAC202/NAP200)
Shanihian Obelisk 1 (had to buy an American muscle amp for these)
JBL 4435 (stunning bass, obviously, plus magnificent highs. keeping them for now.)

1983 KEF C20
1986 Castle Durham
1991 KEF Q35
2010 Proac Studio 140 Mk1
2012 Proac Studio 140 Mk2( due to the cat)
2016 Proac Response 1SC (in a new second system)

advertisement

Back