advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00110010)

Status
Not open for further replies.
:) I think you mean "cack-handed" (as in left-handed or awkward).

With the right tool it's not too difficult, but a Phillips or Pozidrive screwdriver will tear them up.

A light tap on the screwdriver top also helps to break the original seal.

A light tap on the screwdriver top also helps to break the original seal.

A message I have repeated a dozen times.

Not only does it help break the seal on the thread it also ensures that the Torx bit is fully seated.

Maybe an idea to ship a Torx bit and some new screws with the PCB ?.

:) I think you mean "cack-handed" (as in left-handed or awkward).

With the right tool it's not too difficult, but a Phillips or Pozidrive screwdriver will tear them up.

'Cack' at spelling too...thanks.:)

A message I have repeated a dozen times.

Not only does it help break the seal on the thread it also ensures that the Torx bit is fully seated.

Maybe an idea to ship a Torx bit and some new screws with the PCB ?.

Sage advice...as usual.:)

Hello John,
of course I´m also waiting for the complete MDAC2 replacement PCB.
Actually my problem is that I don´t have any DAC here at home and I can't use my active speakers since you have my MDAC.
Maybe there is a possibility you could borrow me one DAC for the waiting time? This would be really really great and relaxing the situation here at home :p

Thanking you in anticipation!
Greetings

Just as a thought for you John...would it make sense to fit out a few salvaged MDAC chassis with the new board and offer these to the 'kack' handed like me...also this may allow people to keep/sell serviceable MDACs...

John; this ‘thought’ has several advantages, which could make me keen on it:
1) I don’t know about my cack-handedness, but I’d find out when I chewed up a screwhead or shattered the handle of my Torx screwdriver, or worse,
2) No nasty surprise from finding that my MDAC is full of bulging capacitors,
3) No waiting period with no DAC at all.

There is of course an additional cost implication for anybody going this way; so far as I know the total would be £350 for old MDAC, and maybe £100 for recapping it, to which we can add “The MDAC2 cost is GBP400 development + PCB at cost (around GBP200) + the SOC board about GBP25 or less depending upon modification costs (pending China trip)”,

so something like (£1,100 + shipping) outlay, with the possibility of selling on the old MDAC . Your list of costs does not include anything for the new MDAC2 power supply; should we add more for that?

I have already paid the second MDAC cost, but if this route were possible, we could sort out the details to suit you/your accountant at the time.

John; this ‘thought’ has several advantages, which could make me keen on it:
1) I don’t know about my cack-handedness, but I’d find out when I chewed up a screwhead or shattered the handle of my Torx screwdriver, or worse,
2) No nasty surprise from finding that my MDAC is full of bulging capacitors,
3) No waiting period with no DAC at all.

There is of course an additional cost implication for anybody going this way; so far as I know the total would be £350 for old MDAC, and maybe £100 for recapping it, to which we can add “The MDAC2 cost is GBP400 development + PCB at cost (around GBP200) + the SOC board about GBP25 or less depending upon modification costs (pending China trip)”,

so something like (£1,100 + shipping) outlay, with the possibility of selling on the old MDAC . Your list of costs does not include anything for the new MDAC2 power supply; should we add more for that?

I have already paid the second MDAC cost, but if this route were possible, we could sort out the details to suit you/your accountant at the time.

Why not just use your MDAC as a donor??

It would be my guess that John will order an MDAC2 replacement board for each salvaged unit anyway. Don't forget, he still has to get rid of them.

It would be my guess that John will order an MDAC2 replacement board for each salvaged unit anyway. Don't forget, he still has to get rid of them.

I'm pretty sure he said as much... it's his cunning plan to recoup his investment.

John,
payment sent, shipping address confirmed in PM, thanks.

Your units been shipped this evening - Also when it arrive please reduce the volume level - sorry I forgot to reduce it from full level (used during testing).

Your units been shipped this evening - Also when it arrive please reduce the volume level - sorry I forgot to reduce it from full level (used during testing).

After 3 months without music, I might enjoy the full 4VRMS into my ATCs.

John, is there any chance of a simple weekly/fortnightly/monthly summary of progress and deadlines that those of us only interested in the project can seek out? It is immensely frustrating for us simple folk to try to wade through all the amplifier, design and repair posts just to get to snippets of information regarding the original project.

Thanks

What he said. This is the craziest meandering thread I have ever seen.

Fortnightly would be ample, monthly would be a lot better than nothing, with links to a periodically updated page with the specifics about each product offer. I spent 30 minutes the other day tracking down the dimensions of the detox, and I'm still not sure if what I found was the final size.

Hi John, how about a Read-Only Blog on your LakeWest website? Provide product updates there, then all the on and off-topic banter can coexist here? Thanks

I see this thread as a place for general discussion for all things related to our projects / designs, its always been like this and I dont what to change.

When people join the project they do so "from" this thread so should be aware of how things work... I simple don't have the time to maintain greater internet presence ATM - at the moment I'm sleeping say 6 hours a day and 100% the rest of the time working on projects - I'd like to be more active on PFM as I used to be and to be able to put more time into my posts to correct spelling / grammar etc. but where to take this time from?

Hopefully I'll find time to give a decent report of the pending Asia trip :)

After 3 months without music, I might enjoy the full 4VRMS into my ATCs.

While I had your unit on test over the weekend, still give a few days for the capacitors to run in - also I reopened your unit to add the further parts for performance tweak after the weekend of testing, so these extra components are basically "fresh" without the benfit of the weekend of "burning in".

Please dont forget to reduce the level from 0dB!

Should anyone want a donor unit for MDAC2 for the price I paid for it (370GBP), then please drop me a PM. I have a silver salvaged MDAC in care of JohnW.

Hello John,
could you please give me a short update what happened to my unit?
Do you see any possibilities to get it working again for the waiting time till "MDAC2 PCB Release"?

Greetings

Hello John,
could you please give me a short update what happened to my unit?
Do you see any possibilities to get it working again for the waiting time till "MDAC2 PCB Release"?

Greetings

Well I can fit it with our Superior board we have built and it can be ship "hopefully" before I leave - I was rather leaving it for the MDAC2 PCB as this would save you GBP300 you have already paid.

Infact your PCB has already been recapped - so adding the Superior PCB is quite a quick job.

So its up to you - wait for the MDAC2 and your GBP300 can be put towards the PCB - or go with the Superior board now :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back