advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00110010)

Status
Not open for further replies.
WRT the MDAC2 SOC solution obviously there is no change to the original MDAC's front panel, so the MDAC's display is reused (no touch screen) or UI etc.

If you want a UI on MDAC2 then this is only possible via an externally connected HDMI monitor (TV) or Tablet / Phone interface. There will be a UART channel between the MDAC2's MCU and the SOC so we can open up system control (DAC control) as required...

Jirij,

Awhile back you kindly offered to help out with the Linux software on the streamer PCB - during my China trip I'll be meeting with the ARM PCB we a considering using on the MDAC2 PCB (option).

This weekend we are designing a simple DAC with Dual ES9038's that mounts above the ARM PCB to help develop the software and once its built Jarek can meet with you in Bruno to discuss and leave you with the PCB's...

The board uses a Allwinner H3 Quad-core Cortex A7 @1.2GHz with Mali400MP2 GPU - with 1GB RAM. Its not as powerful as the FDAC's ARM CPU, but for the MDAC we would be happy with just running Volumio - and we believe its plenty powerful enough for this (completely stand alone as a simple audio endpoint or with an external HDMI monitor and full UI (or just "webpage" as with Volumio).

https://volumio.org/

Hopefully we can get the PCB to you next on Monday 10th - and I'll be meeting with the Vendor in China during the week of the 17th - so I understand time is tight, but if you have any questions / need more data etc. then I can ask them during the meeting.
Ok, looking around a bit, it seems the H3 is a pretty new thing and as such probably doesn't work with whatever Volumio uses as its current kernel. It seems there have been some major changes very recently - https://linux-sunxi.org/Mainlining_Effort#Planned_for_4.9 and there's always the git version if that's not enough.

I downloaded the x86 Volumio image and it seems to use a "pretty old" 3.18 stable line. I also looked into Rune audio, which seems to have even older releases, but if the userspace is compatible (not sure how compatible are Cortex-A5 vs A7, even though both are ARMv7), it might work as well.

Once I get the board, I'll see if I can get it running well enough with a newer upstream kernel to speed up the MDAC2 ball rolling.

Just be careful of fakes ...ask for serial number and Nordost can tell you that the number matches to the cable.

For a streamer you really do not need a desktop GUI.
If you look at the popular distributions like Max2Play, piCorePlayer, Rune Audio, volumio etc. They all have a web interface and or apps for Tablets/phones.
I do wonder whether we are talking at cross purposes. I'm very familiar with these distros, but the point is that they don't port to the Allwinner AFAIK and there doesn't seem to be any obvious unanimity over what sort of server or player software people might want.

I would be only too delighted to have max2play installed, which offers different options. As it stands howevr none of the exisiting distros ostensibly works for the allwinner H3, presumably because no one uses the Allwinner H3 (apart from orange pi; anyone?). For this reason I wondered whether we might just as well have some sort of debian distro and install whenever we like. We don't need a GUI desktop but it would be nice. And of course it can still run headless- the desktop can run via VPN

Of course if instead of this obscure SoC we used a Pi3, then we could use all sorts of ready made packages.

I have noticed that Orange pi plus' website claims that the H3 will run a Pi image -does that mean one can simply stick any pi image into an Allwinner h3, I can't believe it's that simple, but I can't understand what else that might mean.

Ok, looking around a bit, it seems the H3 is a pretty new thing and as such probably doesn't work with whatever Volumio uses as its current kernel. It seems there have been some major changes very recently - https://linux-sunxi.org/Mainlining_Effort#Planned_for_4.9 and there's always the git version if that's not enough.

I downloaded the x86 Volumio image and it seems to use a "pretty old" 3.18 stable line. I also looked into Rune audio, which seems to have even older releases, but if the userspace is compatible (not sure how compatible are Cortex-A5 vs A7, even though both are ARMv7), it might work as well.

Once I get the board, I'll see if I can get it running well enough with a newer upstream kernel to speed up the MDAC2 ball rolling.
Are you looking at volumio or Volumio 2- I think the pi version uses 4.1.18
https://volumio.org/forum/introducing-volumio-t3169-530.html

John, is there any chance of a simple weekly/fortnightly/monthly summary of progress and deadlines that those of us only interested in the project can seek out? It is immensely frustrating for us simple folk to try to wade through all the amplifier, design and repair posts just to get to snippets of information regarding the original project.

Thanks

Just purchased those cables John, got some fairly good condition 2.5m length for £150. That should't be too long eh ?

They are about the same length as the pair I use with my CLS's and there horrid load and they work well - atleast I'm happy with the sound quality, I could not say if theres anything better :)

They are about the same length as the pair I use with my CLS's and there horrid load and they work well - atleast I'm happy with the sound quality, I could not say if theres anything better :)

Really happy about the choice, i just hope i have bought genuine pair. Got me worried :S.

Oh really ? Where would this serial number be ?

Now you've got me , I bought a pair off Ebay ex demo so it still had the box and paper work. As yours is second hand I guess there is no box.
I was made aware after my transaction had taken place, that there were many reported fakes. So I asked seller for serial number and double checked with Nordost. I will see tonight if this is on the cable itself or not , I suspect not.

JiriJ,

This is the board we a considering using (modified), No Microphone fitted or 3.5mm Jack + Clock-Lock support:-

http://www.friendlyarm.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=69&product_id=109

https://github.com/igorpecovnik/lib/pull/241

Jarek can drop you off a board this week, the DAC PCB will be ready next week.

I'll take a look at your DAC's later towards the end of next week, we are just completing the XMOS DAC PCB testing and software - then we need to build and listen to the MDAC Clock PCB... If it works well then we can fit to your units if your interested...

Hi John,

can you give me some new estimated date there? Thanks!

Michael.

Michael,

I'll try to have your units recaped before my China Trip - trouble is each PCB takes the best part of a days work...

With MDAC2 PCB "around the corner" the superior PCB does not offer good value for money - its better to wait for the full new PCB then adding the Superior board - unless you are really keen on a upgrade now?

Due to a change in direction I'm no longer in need of the VFETs (although clearly I remain committed for the time being). If anyone wants to take over my place on the list then please drop me a PM, I'm not sure exactly how it would work but we could iron that out (with John if necessary) in due course.

Due to a change in direction I'm no longer in need of the VFETs (although clearly I remain committed for the time being). If anyone wants to take over my place on the list then please drop me a PM, I'm not sure exactly how it would work but we could iron that out (with John if necessary) in due course.

Paul,

Just let me know what you will be doing with them, I'll be discussing the VFET chassis production during my China trip - there is a GBP5K tooling charge which sound crazy, but in the end the per unit chassis unit cost is much cheaper and we will have the tooling still available for a "Non VFET" design at a later date.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back