advertisement

Medium Format from Fuji?

This has been rumoured for about a year, Fuji do of course have previous in MC film cameras, they have declared that they are not going to make a FF camera, so MF seems likely, even more so that many Hassleblad and Fuji lenses are made in the same factory

Fuji need to do FF IMHO. The X-T2 / Pro2 are wonderful, but they need to go toe-to-toe with the big boys and release a mirrorless FF camera. The only other player in that market is Sony. If love to see a 36MP X-Trans sensor equipped camera at the £2500 price point.

I know it's unlikely to happen because they are lacking FF lenses, but one can dream!

Fuji need to do FF IMHO. The X-T2 / Pro2 are wonderful, but they need to go toe-to-toe with the big boys and release a mirrorless FF camera. The only other player in that market is Sony. If love to see a 36MP X-Trans sensor equipped camera at the £2500 price point.

I know it's unlikely to happen because they are lacking FF lenses, but one can dream!

A mate uses the Fuji system & loves the small form factor of the Fuji bodies & lenses, so he rarely uses his Canon 1 series & lenses now. I know they aren't FF but they're the same physical size as the FF versions.

I still don't think it is correct to use the term "Medium Format to describe these cameras, when the sensor used is only a tad larger than full frame 35mm, for me for it to be MF it needs a sensor at least 6.45 or 6x6 not what is currently offered by the likes of Hasselblad.

There's medium format and then there's the Large Synoptic Survey Telescope.

• 3200 MP
  • 6,200 pounds
  • Tonnes of cabbage
  • Built-in filters

LSST_filter_switch_loop.gif

Very specialized, but wow! It is, however, useless for selfies, so demand among teenagers is virtually nonexistent.

Joe

I still don't think it is correct to use the term "Medium Format to describe these cameras, when the sensor used is only a tad larger than full frame 35mm, for me for it to be MF it needs a sensor at least 6.45 or 6x6 not what is currently offered by the likes of Hasselblad.

Perhaps you are right technically but is great to see this venerable old company beating the 'big boys' to produce a significant camera that I hope will sell well.

If Fuji made a digital rangefinder that looked like this for less than the cost of an arm, leg or new car I think it would sell well to niche photographers.

fujifilmmediummock.jpg

Joe

I don't think there is any point in building digital rangefinders (or SLRs) now that we have really good electronic viewfinders.

It depends. If the camera system supports film as well as digital, then you need to design a system that allows you to focus with both ;-)

There is something to be said for keeping the legacy glass from countless brilliant camera systems alive and useable whilst taking advantage of the digital advances.

The latest Hasselblad CMOS sensors are very modern, approaching the per-pixel quality of the top DSLRs, whilst also giving you the ability to hook 50 year old lenses onto the body. What's not to like?

http://www.hasselblad.com/digital-backs/cfv-50c

I'm very much looking forward to these being a little 'old hat' and being available for sensible money for an amateur like me. It won't be a quick process, but i'm happy to wait...

But you are right, starting fresh, something like the Fuji X cameras shows what can be done today, and there is no obvious (to me) downside to their design choices.

It depends. If the camera system supports film as well as digital, then you need to design a system that allows you to focus with both ;-)

There is something to be said for keeping the legacy glass from countless brilliant camera systems alive and useable whilst taking advantage of the digital advances.

The latest Hasselblad CMOS sensors are very modern, approaching the per-pixel quality of the top DSLRs, whilst also giving you the ability to hook 50 year old lenses onto the body. What's not to like?

Exactly.

I have a significant investment in Leica M lenses and I would not give up that quality for anything less good. They can and are all used on my M7 film, Leica MM digital b&w and Sony a7r digital colour bodies.

I have a Leica Q with superb EVF and a lens as good as my M lenses, but I still prefer the rangefinders.

Would I trade in the whole lot and start on the Leica SL range, with probably the best EVF on the planet (4.4mp) and the most stunning range of lenses in production and development? No, because my M7 and a 35 Summicron weights under 1kg and fits in my coat pocket or can easily be carried all day. (Also, I'm not poor, but not made of money, and the SL series is pretty uncompromising in quality and price.)

http://news.dphotographer.co.uk/news/leica-sl-roadmap-revealed/

That'll shake up the pricing of the pseudo-MF camera market - you have to wonder why phase one/hasselblad etc have such a price premium if this can be knocked out for 'only' $10k ;-)

The apertures look a bit weird on these lenses - a mixture of f/2.8 and f/4. I'm guessing there's a weight vs aperture tradeoff, and it's probably been decided that there is enough ISO latitude and low enough depth of field that f/4 is ok on their standard zoom.

All interesting stuff.

Although I don't see myself wanting one, I think this is extremely clever of Fuji. The sensor spec sounds very similar to the CFV - 50c Hassleblad back (wonder if Fuji makes that one?) - and the price Fuji have pitched at makes it very tempting in that market. They have proved that they can make lenses that are the equal of anything, with the X-Series. The choice of focal length and apertures are absolutely spot on for the size of the sensor, whereas users of film MF cameras will find all their favourite lenses just a bit "longer" with a 44x33 sensor, when compared with 60x60 film. I can see this being very popular with high end wedding photographers and in studios. Once again Fuji making cameras for photographers!

The apertures look a bit weird on these lenses - a mixture of f/2.8 and f/4..

There's a 1.7x magnification factor, so that translates to the following FF equivalent apertures:

f2.8 becomes f1.65
f4 becomes f2.35

It will be interesting to see what the UK pricing is. (Although I would never be in the market for something like this)

Lefty

advertisement

Back