advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00110001)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't understand why you would want to browse your music on a TV screen with a remote. Most AV receivers can do that and the user experience is awfull.

You get a much better user experience using a tablet, phone or a laptop.

I disagree, why use eg a 9 inch screen when i can use a 50 inch screen. I find the user experience of tablets quite poor unless I'm using one (or mobile phone) to control what I'm seeing on a TV screen, it makes for a better shared experience when listening with other people

I disagree, why use eg a 9 inch screen when i can use a 50 inch screen. I find the user experience of tablets quite poor unless I'm using one (or mobile phone) to control what I'm seeing on a TV screen, it makes for a better shared experience when listening with other people

if you do not like to use a tablet you can always attach a PC to your 50 inch screen for the user interface ;)

The FDAC will be able to work as a Roon endpoint or squeezebox without much work from Johns team, so might be included in the initial software.

That would be sweet (actually bittersweet, considering Roon price)!

Personally I will run a separate server for Roon / LMS as I am not willing to compromise on responsiveness. But I guess most would be ok with LMS on the FDAC.

Would responsiveness suffer on the FDAC?

I expect the FDAC to ship with very basic software, with later releases by John and his team enabling all the items from the FDAC feature list and maybe more. But I also expect to see some very cool stuff (software, how to's/guides, ...) from other users on this thread.

Michael

A mono switch for playing monophonic records would be nice. Also a phase switch. I wonder if these are a matter of software, or hardware.

Would responsiveness suffer on the FDAC?
Yes and No.

Responsiveness will depend on the SOC used, and size of RAM. So hopefully no one will complain about the extra cost of a Quad Core SOC with 1GB RAM if that is what John chooses.

For comparison responsiveness on a RPI 2 running LMS and squeezelite is fine and equivalent to running LMS on most NAS boxes.

It is only if you have tried running it on some thing much faster like a Intel i5 and have a huge music library you will notice a noticeably difference.

If you run LMS and squeezelite on the FDAC and can fit your music collection on an internal SSD drive then you have a true one box solution. (which "might" be an obsession for some :D)

Size isn't everything, it's all about resolution, and user experience.

Give me a retina touch display anyday over a big TV + pushing buttons on a remote.

OMG i cant believe what i have done, i just purchased a aurelic vega for nearly a third of the retail price. I cant even afford it but it was such a good price i couldn't resist.
Its one of my dream dacs and il be able to compare it to the fdac for the ultimate battle.
^.^

Time to sell everything in my house to afford it.

Do you know iPeng? It's a dedicated remote for an LMS based system. The user experience is fantastic, even on a 4 inch iPhone screen. I use iPeng on both my iPad and iPhone and I don't have a preference for either screen size. It depends on what I want to do: if it's just controlling and searching for a song or album then I would probably use my iPhone. If I wanted to research on the artist while listening I'd use my iPad.
The user experience and ease of use of iPeng (it's always ready to go, no additional equipment to turn on, etc) is just fantastic.

Responsiveness will depend on the SOC used, and size of RAM. So hopefully no one will complain about the extra cost of a Quad Core SOC with 1GB RAM if that is what John chooses.

Hopefully John will select 2GB or even 4GB ram for all (currently unknown) future apps/services.

On a big screen like a television, it's nice to look at the cover art and choose tracks...but it needs to have a 'blank' screen setting so when the listening begins, the room is dark.

The SQ is my top requirement with sibilance absent in particular... everything else is a bonus and John plus others can pick and choose the extras..:D

I read somewhere that you don't qualify as a hi-fi enthusiast unless your audio gear has cost more than your car. Sounds about right. :D

Of course you (one?) can be a hi-fi and car enthusiast, in which case the comparison is with your house ;)

Hopefully John will select 2GB or even 4GB ram for all (currently unknown) future apps/services.
You are correct that more is better and if it was up to me it would be the fastest SOC available.

But it is a balancing act and the sweet spot regarding cost without compromising performance is probably quad core 1Ghz 1GB RAM which should be fast enough to give adequate performance to LMS and other future audio related features.

As a comparison the Auralic Aries uses a cortex A9 1GHZ with 1GB RAM and a RPI 2 can run squeezelite and LMS adequately for most.

And those (including me) that want ultimate performance will probably run the server software LMS/Roon on a separate box with i3/i5/i7 which is all much faster than even the fastest ARM SOC anyway.

It it mainly the ones that has a one box obsession that needs a fast SOC.

You are correct that more is better and if it was up to me it would be the fastest SOC available.

But it is a balancing act and the sweet spot regarding cost without compromising performance is probably quad core 1Ghz 1GB RAM which should be fast enough to give adequate performance to LMS and other future audio related features.

As a comparison the Auralic Aries uses a cortex A9 1GHZ with 1GB RAM and a RPI 2 can run squeezelite and LMS adequately for most.

And those (including me) that want ultimate performance will probably run the server software LMS/Roon on a separate box with i3/i5/i7 which is all much faster than even the fastest ARM SOC anyway.

It it mainly the ones that has a one box obsession that needs a fast SOC.
No matter how much RAM and what kind of processor is initially installed, they will be outdated eventually unless user-replaceable.

That is exactly why the i.MX 6 sits on it's own daughterboard. So it can be easily replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back