advertisement

Zyx Fuji

koi

pfm Member
Just a quick note to say this is a stunning cartridge

I think it's just broke in simply awesome.

Zyx go under the radar on forums to a degreee and are not heralded as the 'next best thing'. Bit of a sleeper - but those that have them or have heard them - know just how special they can be.
They are quite sensitive to correct set up though to get the best.
I have a Zyx UNIverse II X and it is amazing.
When my new TT arrives that will be the cart going on it :)

Ok, but what aspects of set up in particular?

Is the stylus profile you are talking about similar to the line contact stylus, as used in the AT50ANV? I found that very tricky to set up in order to get high frequency tracking right.

ZYX cartridges are no more sensitive to set up than any other cartridge. Just set up the cartridge with the correct alignment tools and these cartridges will perform beautifully.

FWIW all cartridges should be set up using the correct alignment tools including digital weighing scales, plus great care should be taken to ensure every adjustment is perfect. This should be standard practice for any cartridge set up.

Just looked at the ZYX pic's and it looks as if it's another example of a cart. with underslung stylus (as is Benz, Koetsu, Transfig.....). Bit of a pig to get absolute overhang etc., even with a Dr. Feickert and LED torch. Mint LPs are cartridge specific, unfortunately (or maybe just brand specific?).

Just looked at the ZYX pic's and it looks as if it's another example of a cart. with underslung stylus (as is Benz, Koetsu, Transfig.....). Bit of a pig to get absolute overhang etc., even with a Dr. Feickert and LED torch. Mint LPs are cartridge specific, unfortunately (or maybe just brand specific?).

Mint LP protractors are tonearm specific, not cartridge specific.

Thank you for that, Erocka; I've either been misinformed or got the wrong end of the stick. Are they specific to different lengths AND makes of tonearm or simply different makes?

That's god news, as I'm much more likely to change my carts. than to change my tonearms; that probably goes for most audiophiles, I'd guess.

ZYX cartridges are no more sensitive to set up than any other cartridge. Just set up the cartridge with the correct alignment tools and these cartridges will perform beautifully.

FWIW all cartridges should be set up using the correct alignment tools including digital weighing scales, plus great care should be taken to ensure every adjustment is perfect. This should be standard practice for any cartridge set up.

Exactly this^^^

The HiFi News Test LP and supplied universal protractors are a good choice. As long as you know your tonearm effective length (ie length from pivot to stylus tip which in itself determines required stylus overhang) you can work out the correct null points and mark these on the protractor guide which has the null point ladder on it and set your cart up properly.

It is worth spending some time and being patient to get alignment as accurate as possible as this will reap major rewards. It never ceases to amaze me just how many people I meet who whilst willing to spend thousands on a TT set up and expensive cartridge pay scant regard to set up.

Exactly this^^^

It is worth spending some time and being patient to get alignment as accurate as possible as this will reap major rewards. It never ceases to amaze me just how many people I meet who whilst willing to spend thousands on a TT set up and expensive cartridge pay scant regard to set up.

Okay if you have the skills and know-how let alone the confidence if it's an expensive cart. :). Quite a few depend upon dealer set-up; not always convenient, nor as reliably accurate as it should be, i.m.e.

Poor eyesight, unsteady hands and difficult (i.e. underslung styli) cart's don't help either. I do agree that the sonic difference in tiny set-up margins is quite apparent.

But don't tonearms all have their own specific spindle to pivot distance for installing them? Wouldn't that negate the effect of the size of the spindle since you're measuring from the center of it when installing a tonearm?

To use the MintLp the Spindle Pivot dimension must be correct before aligning the cartridge. I use one of the Feickerts for this.
The MintLP is made to be an exact fit on the spindle so there is no movement.

I know it means having one for each turntable/tonearm combo but they are not so expensive and are by far the most accurate method of getting a cartridge perfectly aligned, imho of course.

But don't tonearms all have their own specific spindle to pivot distance for installing them? Wouldn't that negate the effect of the size of the spindle since you're measuring from the center of it when installing a tonearm?

Yes, this is THE most important part of a turntable set-up. If you instal the tonearm at the incorrect spindle-pivot distance, it is impossible to get down to the minimum tracing distortion possible for that set up.

That's why investment in a proper alignment protractor e.g. Acoustical Systems Unitractor, Feickert, Clearaudio etc is de rigeur, if you are a serious analogue fan.

Tools needed

Spirit level - to level the turntable and platter before starting
Alignment protractor to check the spindle to pivot distance (esp if you are installing your own tonearm not the plinth)
Jewellers screwdrivers or small allen keys plus appropriate bolts and nuts
Small surgical clip to help attach leads to cartridge pins - much better than needle nose pliers - something like this http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=281331028547
Digital stylus scales
Alignment protractor again - to check tracing error with cartridge installed
Small mirror to check azimuth

Some decent light
NO alcohol e.g. wine, beer or gin and tonic - do that afterwards :)

OR ALTERNATIVELY
Buy a new cartridge from a proper UK stockist (i.e. not second hand or from overseas) and ask the dealer to instal it for you. I am sure that Graham from GT Audio, Paul from RFC etc would be delighted to instal any new cartridge purchased from them. That's part of the service and joy of going to a dealer with a proper premises and know-how.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I like the look of that surgical clip, Charlie. I use either a selection of tweezers or fingers (or both) but I can see that those allow more control in this delicate operation. Cheap, too !

advertisement

Back