advertisement

Sennheiser HD 25

I've been using Sennheiser momentums straight from a iPhone 6/Spotify extreme for a while now for office duties (low leakage), then I came across a Sennheiser stand in Maplins today, gave all the displayed range a good go from the £45 20* up to the £280 NC's with the same iPhone 6, same track - The 25's did it for me, and some - brilliant! Sure, the clamping might be an issue with some, and the build quality is pretty poor, but my oh my - I can't wait for Monday :)

Are these 'on ears' rather than fully closed?

The HD-25s and the AKG K450s I use are closed-back on ear designs and both seem able to make a good seal and block out a lot of background noise and are not annoying to others. Ideal travel cans in other words.

Are these 'on ears' rather than fully closed?

Correct Steve as Tony points out. They do a better job than the "closed" Beyers I had which seems strange and not something I expected.

I didn't think I would like on ear 'phones but after a few hours use, no complaints whatsoever. The kickback is slight lack of space to the sound but they're staggeringly good for the money.

I have to admit I'm torn here between the 25s and some type of noise cancelling ones, mainly for holiday use. I have tried 25 s and loved the sound but like others felt the clamping was hard. But then I've tried some expensive Bose at an airport and thought wow at first, then tried it with actual music and was disappointed. Mm, decisions...

Correct Steve as Tony points out. They do a better job than the "closed" Beyers I had which seems strange and not something I expected.

I didn't think I would like on ear 'phones but after a few hours use, no complaints whatsoever. The kickback is slight lack of space to the sound but they're staggeringly good for the money.

Hi Pedro,

I'm never keen on the feeling of phones 'on the ear' I'll stick with those super little IE800s. :cool:

Steve

Hi Pedro,

I'm never keen on the feeling of phones 'on the ear' I'll stick with those super little IE800s. :cool:

Steve

You do right. The IE800 are in a league of their own. You just need one of the Dragonfly DACs for more detail and bags of headroom ;) I had a few problems with certain albums but it wasn't a huge issue as such.

Pedro

I like my HD 25's a lot. They are very rugged, and I feel like a junior broadcaster wearing them. I even like the steel cable as I bang them around quite a bit, traveling, commuting, etc. and I don't worry about copper being damaged. Noise isolation is terrific. They look like they are from another time, because they are - heavy duty black plastic, no brushed aluminum in sight - I love it because they make no pretense. The sound is old school and somewhat woolly but the over package just works. Plus made in Ireland - U2, a glass of Jameson's, and HD 25's on a rainy day is pretty hard to beat.

advertisement

Back