advertisement

Goodbye, Naim!

tvheadhunter

pfm Member
After owning Naim equipment for more than 15 years, I now find myself Naiim-less. It started innocently enough by selling my NAP 250 and ultimately getting a Plinius SA Ref to drive the 802d's.

I then moved into vinyl and got a Stageline which turned into Superline/Supercap. Then sold my CD5 because I just wasn't listening to CD's any longer.

Superline/Supercap then left the building for the ALLNIC H3000V and added the HA 3000 and never missed the Superline.

Then upgraded my NAC 282/Supercap to the 552 and thought I had found the holy grail by maintaining Naim at the heart of my system. The Naim sound still had a huge influence on my listening. While being encouraged to try something different, I realized my loyalty was still almost cult-like, and I finally capitulated and brought home the Allnic L5000. I just knew it would not be better than the 552, so I wasn't being unfaithful.

Needless to say I have been converted. I'm not sure what the future holds now that I'm no longer part of the "sect", but the Allnic combo is such a beautiful sounding combination, it was pretty easy to take the decision.

Is there some type of support group for Ex-Naimites? Please point me to it.

What is it with you numnuts? All over the world folks change equipment everyday without a word said. Somebody in Britain moves on from Naim and they feel they have to write a thread to announce how pleased they are with themselves. Friends please, we didn't need a formal written announcement when you bought the stuff and we don't need one when you decide to sell it.

What is it with you numnuts? All over the world folks change equipment everyday without a word said. Somebody in Britain moves on from Naim and they feel they have to write a thread to announce how pleased they are with themselves. Friends please, we didn't need a formal written announcement when you bought the stuff and we don't need one when you decide to sell it.

Exactly! I had Naim stuff for around 27 years and then when the kids grew up and I accidentally arrived on pfm my world changed. The stuff I now have I had never heard about before but its taken HiFi to a level that I would have thought impossible. Its so close to real live performances its unbelievable. OK I can criticise but I am unable to improve much more because of the room.

My wife and I plus our undergrad still go to lots of live performances so we like to hear the real thing at home. Sometimes its actually better sound at home!

Cheers,

DV

I survived... it can be done. I'm not quite sure of the order of things, but it was realising that the passive preamp I built to tide me over whilst my NAC82 was (very, very expensively) serviced by Naim, was actually better than my serviced NAC82, and the the much praised Naim DAC was good, but the NDAC / NAC82 combination was blown away completely by my Audiolab MDAC, and then my much loved NAP250 really couldn't drive my Martin Logans, so I bought an EAR 890, and that did bass better than the NAP250 - suddenly the only Naim kit I had in use was the ARO arm, and the Prefix. One you escape, you have all sorts of opportunities open to you. Some people go to the same place every year on holiday, I never retrace my steps.

Who are you kidding, there's no escape. You are on a break that's all.

Yes, mine lasted 6 years before I saw the error of my ways.

In the past 6 months I've acquired a SuperNait 2, Supercap DR, 250.2 and last week swapped the SN2 for a 252.

well it is about the music, not about Naim. Before I got Naim I loved music all my life, and if I had to get rid of my Naims, I would still love music.

Congrats on leaving Naim, the key is to enjoy music, whether Naim, Linn, Teddy Pardo, Chord Devialet, or other excellent hi-fi companies.

Naim is only a means to enjoy music...

Greetings Clay

Yes I can see your point but we are all humans and when we embark on the journey of starting with a Naim system, our hearts and emotions are musically uplifted to heights we have never known before . The music becomes clearer and more alive and fills our souls with joy and love. We race to get home after the days work just to put some music on and all this all comes from those little black boxes built with precision and care at Salisbury.

The experience of listening to music on a Naim system transcends all others and our immediate reaction is to communicate our passion and joy to all who will listen, such is the loyalty and love that Naim inspires to us who listen to music on it.

People who use Naim are nice people who want others to experience their joy and that means we communicate our good fortune every so often to those that we want to experience music with the same vibrancy as we hear it.

Yesterday I played Maria Callas on my Naim and the music was fantastic and every man, woman and child in the world should be allowed to experience the wonderful sounds that I was privileged to hear.

Such is the enthusiasm that Naim whips up, there is nothing that even comes near to it and it is only natural that we want to communicate our experiences to others.

We want nothing than for others to join in with us and listen to music with the same level of satisfaction that we have.

I hope you can forgive our passion.

Regards

Mick

These Naim threads are like the menstrual cycle of PFM. Painful and bloody, regular and inevitable, but a vital reminder of how life works.

Does it make any difference if they are bolt down, chrome bumper or olive ? the period it came from may have some bearing on this.

advertisement

Back