advertisement

[new tesla] is this the electric car you have been waiting for?

There is no electric car I wait for - except one not powered by battery but by hydrogen fuel cell or dilithium crystal...

How does this solve the main electric car problems if a) you live in a flat or have no garage and b) the time taken charging when away from home?

If there's going to be a purely electric car it needs to have a quickly removable battery that you can exchange at a fuel station. No-one wants to wait for a charge even if it is 'super.'

I was in the park and ride at Edinburgh and there was a Nissan leaf plugged in to the solitary charging post. What if there had been three? What if there had been 100 posts and 101 Leafs (Leaves?)

How do people cope with range anxiety? I picture them gripping the wheel with no heating, no music, wiping windows by hand and leaving the lights off at night and not accelerating too much to make sure they make it home.

Stephen

No, not waiting for an electric car at all...just a disastrous idea all round which has been sold to a gullible public who have somehow been duped into believing they are 'green'.
On the other hand, as a 'performance' car they can be quite fun!

Is there enough rare earth metal to sustain this sort of car for everyone?

At the moment, what's needed is not rare earths, but lithium, most of which comes from here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salar_de_Uyuni

This is a salt lake, in which a high proportion of the salt is lithium chloride. Bolivia produces something like 70% of the world's lithium.

The Salar de Uyuni is so flat that NASA uses it to calibrate its altimeters.

We were talking about this last night. I'd love one and pre-ordering would make a lot of sense since I believe it locks in substantial rebates, e.g, a $30K+ Nissan Leaf can be had for $13K here (too bad they are ugly as hell). I live 5 miles from work, have a garage and space for solar panels.

However, I can't justify it. My 10 year old Subaru has 60K miles on it and is still going strong and still feels new. Good for another 10 years at least.

I find the prospect of filling up next to Vicki Pollard, when she gets her e-fag out, terrifying.
Beautiful fuel source if the safety issues can be nailed. I was speaking to an anaesthetist friend a few weeks ago who had an failure in a "failsafe" gas system that was regarded as impossible.

how is it that Tesla can produce cars with a good range but none of the big manufacturers seem to have this capability? My daughter has just bought a new car and did consider the Leaf. However the real world range is a joke.

how is it that Tesla can produce cars with a good range but none of the big manufacturers seem to have this capability? My daughter has just bought a new car and did consider the Leaf. However the real world range is a joke.

Makes you wonder, doesn't it?

I hope they paint some sort of a grille on that front section to actually make it look like a real car & not a blown up toy one.

I hope not. I'm sure in 50 years grilles will be seen as quaint - let's move on.

I won't be here in fifty years time so I couldn't care less but if you fancy an electric car just make sure there's a capable power station in your area. As soon as a significant number of electric cars hit the road this could be a problem. I'll bet the smart meter in your home ramps up at charging time too :D

Golf GTE (especially if tweaked by VW Motorsport) is about as good as an electric car is in the UK at present.

Try driving any Tesla from Glasgow to London ...........

advertisement

Back