advertisement

The darker side of the "Vinyl Revival"

Devonian

To be honest, the article looked like it had been written by a 12 year old. Plenty of statements but not backed up with facts.

Mick

As someone brought up in the days of vinyl I'm a bit baffled by this revival. My favourite bands were Beatles, Stones, Hollies and so on, and I have hundreds of vinyls. That was half a century ago.

I don't buy so many these days apart from a few old jazzers that take my fancy.

The current vinyl craze - is it because streaming and downloads leave something tangible missing?

I don't buy new vinyl anymore as the ones I have bought in the last ten years have either been scratched or warped. As much as I love playing vinyl I would rather buy a cd at half the price. As for streaming i can't be bothered with.

I'm so old that I can remember when these 'vinyls' were called LPs or records. But maybe they're not the same thing.

Thinking about it, they can't be. I got out of 'vinyls' almost 30 years ago because I was in a state of absolute despair at the quality. I was forever returning them because they ad scratches, pops, clicks or more often than not were warped to the point of being unplayable.

Now I see lots of hipsters with big, bushy beards paying £20 and more for these vinyls. I also see hifi nuts paying many thousands for turntables.

I can only assume these new fangled vinyls are pristine quality.

I have collected records for 39 ish years and I quite enjoy the bonkers revival - I have the cash to buy records I could not afford in earlier years, and I find stuff that I have never heard before which is great fun. And - it sounds good. It is a matter of outlook.

The article is sour grapes.

this article was written: 40 years ago when tapes became popular at the expense of LPs; 30 years ago at the dawn of the CD age; 10 years ago when streaming came into full flower; and now, in response to a modest increase in sales of LPs.

it's the circle of life!

Hmm... I've just read the 'article' linked to by the OP and what a strange (and short) thing it is. I put 'article' in apostrophes because it isn't any form of investigation but more a political statement aimed at supporting streaming over other sources. Specifically it appears to be a reaction to claims that streaming is costing artists in terms of lost royalties and seeks to do that by attempting to diminish the value of other media - bit desperate really.

I bought a new record ( sorry, vinyl ) recently just to experience playing something brand new.
'Nashville Skyline' by Bob Dylan.
I had a copy in 1970 (!)
I wonder where it went...

Well, I don't think the author has any journalistic pretensions: it's a blog post from a self-styled artists' rights group, and I don't think it's pro-streaming. As a reminder that the vinyl revival is not a solution to the problem of how artists are to support themselves I think it's OK.

...I've been buying records for nearly forty years and am still doing so.

Me too.

I was record shopping in Norwich today and bought a big pile of vinyl, including kamasi Washington's - The Epic; a nice city and several decent record shops too, including 'Soundclash Records' which I especially liked because it sells new records rather than just used ones.

Sounds like sour grapes to me from someone who can't support themselves from their music and can't afford to get their music pressed on vinyl; if you stopped making LPs it wouldn't make a jot of difference to the revenue derived from streaming.

He'd do better to shut up and stop writing whining articles - reminds me a lot of the boring moaning about vinyl that goes on on this forum.

mat

Me too.

I was record shopping in Norwich today and bought a big pile of vinyl, including kamasi Washington's - The Epic; a nice city and several decent record shops too, including 'Soundclash Records' which I especially liked because it sells new records rather than just used ones.

Wylton, you missed the antiques emporium (in an old church) just a few metres from the Soundclash. There is a large selection od very good vinyl (7 boxes) and another stall with a cheaper and smaller stock.

It's not just a nice city, it's a FINE city (as it says on most approaches).

I bought a new record ( sorry, vinyl ) recently just to experience playing something brand new.
'Nashville Skyline' by Bob Dylan.
I had a copy in 1970 (!)
I wonder where it went...

Martyn, I have an early LP of this; had it for many decades and it's probably my most oft-played record. Wonder if the new 180 gram pressing is of such excellent s.q. (I've seen them in HMV here in Norwich)

Wylton, you missed the antiques emporium (in an old church) just a few metres from the Soundclash. There is a large selection of very good vinyl (7 boxes) and another stall with a cheaper and smaller stock.

It's not just a nice city, it's a FINE city (as it says on most approaches).

I did buy a couple of albums from Mares Nest Music in the market and also one from City Sounds; I even found Michael Hedges - Strings of steel and Loudon Wainwright III's - Album II in the Oxfam Music & book shop, but you are correct, I should have said a fine city!

I have collected records for 39 ish years and I quite enjoy the bonkers revival - I have the cash to buy records I could not afford in earlier years, and I find stuff that I have never heard before which is great fun. And - it sounds good. It is a matter of outlook.

The article is sour grapes.

54 years here. And I agree with all you say.

Mull

VINYL REVIVAL is a SELF FULFILLING PROPHECY. Is there a renewed interested in vinyl? Yes Is it a mainstream interest? No

advertisement

Back