advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00101110)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi John,
I have no use for an analogue input. Are there any other reasons why I should still go for the L3?
:)

Thanks
Michael

Erh - to help our Piggybank! :p

Well, I see the L3 / L3MM/MC versions commanding the highest value on the S/H market and if we manufacture any more units after the initial PFM production batch then these will be sold at the market rate (x6 BOM cost) so your looking at GBP5K for the FDAC L3MM/MC verses GBP4K for the Basic L2.

I'll personally test and listen to each PFM unit - while mostly I'll never get to see the "full" production FDAC's - only those that have some odd "technical issue"...

To be honest, for GBP350 extra between L2 & L3MM/MC you get so much more... the L3 will even be able to test itself via internal ADC/DAC loopback - and a crazy idea we have is to be able to "debug" issues with L3 units remotely via the internet - we will build this feature so we can remotely monitor any problems on the production line.

When you look at the cost of a DSD256 (11MHz) and PCM 768 ADC and MC/MM Phono stage GBP350 becomes chicken feed money - although ignoring our Petrol cost its more then we both "personally" live on here in Czech Rep. a month :)

Maybe one day we will encourage you to buy a decent cheap turntable so you can listen to what all the fuss is about "analogue" :) ... if not or our "sample" DSD Vinyl / Master tape rips will encourage you :)

Hi John - you inbox is full again ;)...

My reply FWIW...

That's very interesting!

I'm currently deciding which route to go - so a bit up in the air at the moment (having sold my active ATC 50s).

I'll let you know in due course if I'd like to partake - in the meanwhile best wishes with an outstanding looking product.

As always, better to Email me directly...

No apologies required, John. Just wanted to have a number in my head.

Looking forward to your testing results. BTW, when you pubish eye-charts, can you provided some insight into what we are looking for (or not). I have seen other mfgrs publish charts but no details on why they might be good.
Thanks.

Yes, we can post the clock performance / PSU etc - for the eye patterns I've been thinking its best to post a video of what we see on the Analogue scope as this is far more telling to the "untrained" eye...

This is going to be a great year (for Hi-Fi) :)

Actually it is already for me here in CZ as over the past week I've finally been setting up a "decent" HiFi system to get ready to listen to our new designs :) On a few occasions this past week I've caught myself thinking "what a shame its been so long without real HiFi" when the system here has its moments and starts to impress :)

Its been a battle - in the end I've had to "progressively" rebuild the amplifiers before they are even are listenable... :( the good thing despite the effort and time is that I've confirmed the direction I plan to go with the VFET & "production" amps :) basically validating simulation ideas - its just having that fear / voice in the back of my mind saying all the time that I don't have time for this ATM!

Hi JohnW,

I think in one of your previous posting you mentioned you might be able to provide an analogue sub-woofer output on the FDAC. Did I read that right?

I am asking as this could free up a channel on my FDAC slave unit.

Thanks

jadidih,

Yes - and the more I've played with the sub-woofer in the labs "evaluation" system the more I realise it really needs to be "remote controllable" and to have fine discrete settings that can be stored...

We have "designed" the possibility to add a Small ESS based DAC card into the FDAC's digital expansion slot giving an extra x2 "budget" audio channels for say Sub-woofer output etc.

When I say budget they will be very good - better then say the MDAC, but not in the class of the FDAC's Main outputs - but certainly good enough for the Sub-woofer channel!

What about the CD drive? :)

We have the CD drive I/O's on the Digital PCB, but I'm little nervous as to the available space in the FDAC chassis to fit the loader - I'm aware that a lot of people are very keen on an internal CD option so its still "on the drawing board"...

Hi John - MM/MC for me also please! Will blow the cobwebs off the Rega and spin the old vinyl again, think I'd be a fool to miss this :mad: Just paid installment, cheers, Matt

MattN,

Thank you :) - I'm sure you will not be disappointed :)

Hi JohnW,

As Detox suppose to "clean" usb signal, will standard cheapo usb cable do to connect it to mdac/fdac or decent cable is still required?
Also, to clock-lock will any optical cable do the job?
And last, can Detox be placed on the top of MDac or for some reason it should be not? (im trying to find best place for it on my very space limited hifi shelf :) )

Regards.

A cheap "short" USB cable is fine :)

If situated so it does not block the MDAC vents then its fine ontop the MDAC - in fact its the perfect location.

Any optical cable will do - we should be able to offer a package of cables for say GBP10 (Decent short USB + Clocklock cable) - that's IF we cannot include them as standard with the Detox due to busting our budgeted costs.

You might have cost a few of us who've been holding off on roon a bit of money, with that good news John. :D

RTRT,

WRT your ""Toy" build MDAC - I can say its significantly better then a standard MDAC I've been listening to for the past week while trying to get the lab system sounding semi decent.

I could here hear the difference even before I got back to my listening position - I was not expecting such a difference - in fact I was concerned I might not hear much difference... so its was a pleasant surprise :) I had to turn the Sub Woofer down a couple of notches! - there is serous Left / Right sound stage - so much wider then the standard unit :)

When I worked on the original MDAC Toy / Fusion upgrades it was with small bookshelf speakers and before I tweaked the amps - so this is the first time I've heard the differences on a "quality" system :) - I'll test your unit for a couple more days then ship back to you if that's ok?

while dreaming of vfet&fdac&dtox, listening the who (quadrophenia) on my mdac ...

What do you think of these to fit with VFET amp ? : http://diptyqueaudio.com/enceintes-planes/haute-fidelite-hi-fi-hifi/dp-140 ?

On another subject if someone is interested to share a PMD200 or PMD100 (dont want to take parts from my rotel rcd 971 !) order i am interested !

Bests

Hluga,

I've heard many panel speakers they are hard beast to get right - so I always stick with the smaller non ported Martin Logan Hybrids or the CLS's - when they work with the room :(

Go for the PMD200 - so you can use the HDCD filter "mode" to 192KHz :)

We have the CD drive I/O's on the Digital PCB, but I'm little nervous as to the available space in the FDAC chassis to fit the loader - I'm aware that a lot of people are very keen on an internal CD option so its still "on the drawing board"...
Ah, thanks for the update. Not personally interested, but I thought other people might miss it on the price list. If you do include it, maybe you should rename the FDAC to LUHAC - Lakewest Universal Home Audio Center or something like that. :D

Additionally, what about the aluminium chassis for FDAC? I remember you mentioned that it would be nearly essential for the phono stage units - is this still an option to consider?

Thanks,
Jiri

Jiri Good morning :)

Personally I'd go for the full screened Chassis option with or without the Phono stage - but no pricing yet.

Hi Phil,

Thank, I've been watching these, but I decided its better for me to order new panels from ML - at about the same cost...

Not seen many CLS anniversary's for sale ...someone got them at a good price!! My finger was hovering over the bid button. But I have far more to deal with the building extension at the moment which has hit a few difficulties

Well all new CLS's panels from ML are built to the very latest Specs - and I already have the CLSIIZ's electronics (the anniversary's are based in the CLSII'z electronics) - so it would be funds better spent to buy new panels from ML to last my lifetime :) if I'm still around when the replacement panels start to fail - my hearing will be no better :)

Actually it is already for me here in CZ as over the past week I've finally been setting up a "decent" HiFi system to get ready to listen to our new designs :) On a few occasions this past week I've caught myself thinking "what a shame its been so long without real HiFi" when the system here has its moments and starts to impress :)

Its been a battle - in the end I've had to "progressively" rebuild the amplifiers before they are even are listenable... :( the good thing despite the effort and time is that I've confirmed the direction I plan to go with the VFET & "production" amps :) basically validating simulation ideas - its just having that fear / voice in the back of my mind saying all the time that I don't have time for this ATM!

How you managed without a decent system for all those years is beyond my comprehension, anyway. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back