advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00101110)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read so much positive info around roon, that although I've not run the trial myself due to time and next release functionality, I've been reading the roon forums a bit.

After reading Johns post above about beagle bone, I then found this on the Roon site;

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/beagle-bone-black/2644

So if I've understood what I've read on there and here - i'm assuming it should be possible for the FDAC to be a roon endpoint. Is that a fair interpretation?

Yes, if its on RPi then we can implement it on BBB :) so the FDAC can be a Roon endpoint

Hi John - MM/MC for me also please! Will blow the cobwebs off the Rega and spin the old vinyl again, think I'd be a fool to miss this :mad: Just paid installment, cheers, Matt

Is there a mock-up of what the FWC chassis will look like? I'm sorely tempted to get the one with the built-in CD player (if that's still in the pipeline) and wanted to take a peek :)

Hi JohnW,

As Detox suppose to "clean" usb signal, will standard cheapo usb cable do to connect it to mdac/fdac or decent cable is still required?
Also, to clock-lock will any optical cable do the job?
And last, can Detox be placed on the top of MDac or for some reason it should be not? (im trying to find best place for it on my very space limited hifi shelf :) )

Regards.

Hi John - you inbox is full again ;)...

My reply FWIW...

That's very interesting!

I'm currently deciding which route to go - so a bit up in the air at the moment (having sold my active ATC 50s).

I'll let you know in due course if I'd like to partake - in the meanwhile best wishes with an outstanding looking product.

BigDog,

Sorry GBP150 + GBP50 development :)

The unit is sold at cost so it could be less then GBP150... but with the GBP doing silly things verse the US$ its not for sure.

No apologies required, John. Just wanted to have a number in my head.

Looking forward to your testing results. BTW, when you pubish eye-charts, can you provided some insight into what we are looking for (or not). I have seen other mfgrs publish charts but no details on why they might be good.
Thanks.

Ta :) Any renderings of the rear of FDAC?

No not as yet as at the time we worked on the design did not know the connector count / positions - I might ask the mechanical guy to update the drawings, but most likely I'll work with him during my trip to China.

I'd like to work on the front panel design alittle more, its easier to do when sitting next to the ID designer.

I love the VFET rear and side views, but not too keen on the front panel - this impacts the FDAC also as they should match.

On another subject if someone is interested to share a PMD200 or PMD100 (dont want to take parts from my rotel rcd 971 !) order i am interested !

hluga, as mentioned already, both are available to purchase in single quantities:

PMD100 $40USD (should be genuine, as JW has tested one that was purchased from this vendor)
PMD200 $40.65USD (these have not been tested as genuine by JW, so at your own risk)

Also the PMD200 will require the optional daughter board, which I'm assuming will be an additional cost (?)

Hi JohnW,

I think in one of your previous posting you mentioned you might be able to provide an analogue sub-woofer output on the FDAC. Did I read that right?

I am asking as this could free up a channel on my FDAC slave unit.

Thanks

Hi Simon,

I just sent you a PM with details.

Here's a simple table with costs:-

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86116171/FDAC Cost Breakdown.jpg

I suspect that "At Cost" for the L3/L3 MM/MC is a little on the high side, but with GBP/US$ doing what it is ATM, its hard to be precise.

The PCB's are populated during production so the only way to update from L3 to L3MM/MC (Phono) after the fact would be to replace the whole analogue section - which is costly and would require to be returned to the Czech Rep....
What about the CD drive? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back