advertisement

System Pics 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
As you say, the dynamics are great like many large semi horn loaded speakers (Tannoys, Klipsch etc). Where, for me, the JBL's differ from speakers I had before such as ATC, Focal and Proac to name just a few, is that that use a huge 15" paper cone to produce the fundamentals of virtually all instruments. This gives a gravitas and a "chewiness" to percussion, bass and the lower reaches of many instruments that I hear live but rarely through hifi systems.

These are basically a huge two way so they are also really coherent. I've heard monitors that image better if that's your thing but I'm more of a "tone" man. :)

Perhaps that's it. I've always liked the 'live' sound of the JBLs; few other speakers remind me of the sound at a live setting. I can live with some coloration. Imaging? I can't be bothered. Try listening to how much imaging there is in a live performance even when not amplified.

System finally sorted with the addition of a Bottlehead Crack with Speedball upgrade

Sounds superb with a Rega front end and HD 600's with a Venus audio custom cable

Last one for 2015.

New year approaching so time for some swaps.

JVC and Technics back into the reserve pool and time to give some Pioneer & Rega a run for a few months.

Planar 25/Mission 774/Pioneer SA9800/Pioneer TX9100/Pioneer CTF7171/DIY Airplay streamer:

I'm rather partial to BASF Chrome ;)

Before....

IMG_2234

After...

IMG_2307

IMG_2309

IMG_2317

IMG_2310

:D

....its got a '78 vintage arm on it ;)

I was mad to sell that Micro DDX1000. Would have complimented very nicely.

:D

....its got a '78 vintage arm on it ;)

I was mad to sell that Micro DDX1000. Would have complimented very nicely.

I was going to say, at least it has a vintage Mission arm :) (which is a bit odd in itself as it came with an arm).

23999239986_54b8f45822_c.jpg

Woah! - That old Pioneer gear is quite beautiful. (nice music corner too) I'm sure we need another system in the house somewhere.

Last one for 2015.

New year approaching so time for some swaps.

JVC and Technics back into the reserve pool and time to give some Pioneer & Rega a run for a few months.

Planar 25/Mission 774/Pioneer SA9800/Pioneer TX9100/Pioneer CTF7171/DIY Airplay streamer:

I'm rather partial to BASF Chrome ;)

Before....

After...

IMG_2310

Retro loveliness. That era of Pioneers had some of the best VU meters ever.

Nice to see a T-X6L. I always liked the look of that era of JVC. Bet the 9100 shows it up, though. Definitely one of the best. Got to love the way the light comes off that Pioneer amp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back