advertisement

What are you listening to right now? #48

Status
Not open for further replies.
Working For A Nuclear Free City - What People Do All Day.

Not out until next year; but if you order it direct from the label, Melodic, you get an immediate download.

Eric Dolphy - Live in Europe vol. 3. Supposed to be one of the less essential Eric Dolphy releases, but still quite nice.

Underworld Second Toughest In The Infants.
81VMZiA-hsL._SL1500_.jpg

Is the live gig he did playing Astral Weeks in 2008 any good ?

I don't own the vinyl of Astral Weeks Live at the Hollywood Bowl, but reckon the performance by him and the band is great, although I mostly prefer his vocal on the original.

The Hollywood Bowl shows in 2008 were the first time Morrison had played Astral Weeks since it was recorded in New York 40 years earlier.

The recording sessions in 1968 took place over two days, horns and strings were added afterwards. The musicians came from a jazz background and had worked with people like Eric Dolphy and Charles Mingus. Morrison used his acoustic guitar and sang the songs to the band, they then improvised and jammed the backing live.

The Hollywood Bowl album sounds more deliberately organized, although there was only one rehearsal prior to the two gigs. Some critics think Morrison's performance is transcendent. It definitely isn't a bad album.

Jack

To get me through a 180 mile round trip today:

Soft Machine - Soft Machine (1st)
Perturbator - Dangerous Days
Yes - Fragile
Tangerine Dream - Ultima Thule
Mind Over Matter - The Colours of Life
Miami Nights 1984 - Turbulence

Ryley Walker - Primrose Green.

Finally bought a copy after a heads up on here some time ago. Channelling lots of Tim Buckley. Nick Drake and fuzzed-jazz era John Martyn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back