advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00101100)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get a 20% discount :).

Amazing - just a shame Linux is so "complicated" and "Clunky" it would be nice to have an open source FDAC Display interface - PFM members then could tweak and customise the UI and have a nice little "project" here on PFM :)

The Front Panel MCU only controls the display UI and sends operational commands to the mainboard MCU... With the new milled chassis concept we could provide adequate RF isolation / screening.

Sadly ATM, we need something quick and easy which dictates a dedicated MCU.

John, why all the extra work with isolating the sections? Won't most of the RF (whatever little remains) propagate through the conductors between sections?

John,

I wasn't angling for special treatment - happy to wait and see how it turns out. (If I think I need even MORE filtering, I can always run the Jitterbug in series. :) )

Still intrigued by the scope for RF shielding and noise reduction in digital music systems: it's as if a fundamental flaw in the technology is finally being addressed after being largely ignored for years.

And then there's your hocus-pocus with the FPGA to look forward to....

John, why all the extra work with isolating the sections? Won't most of the RF (whatever little remains) propagate through the conductors between sections?

There is heavy filtering BETWEEN stages - hence the x11 signal line filters + crazy a number of PSU filters and then regulators.

There is filtering on the input of each stage and then filtering on the output of each stage...

You could buy 38 Raspberry Pi Zero computers for that...:eek:

I could.i could also wipe my arse on gold leaf. £150 ish for the Detox though strikes me as real value though, John's put something special together here.

John where's the payment link?

This is looking great! so glad I got on board with the detox :D
Would definitely like filtered connectors on board

Have been lurking here for a while after paying development fee for detox.

+1 on the filtered USB connectors.

I am excited by the prospect of having a high tech treatment of the data stream and commend JohnW on going above and beyond to make this potentially an extraordinary component...and this from someone who had already taken pains to isolate the PC-based music server (noise) from reaching my DAC.

Having previously had a similar experience with a purpose-built preamp which ultimately took 5 years to deliver (hence my sympathy for those in line for an FDAC) and having been asked on several occasions over that time whether I wanted to incorporate upgrades that were felt to be highly valuable by the designer, I support the development of a "statement" design. That being said, I should mention that I am quite probably one of the more senior, agewise, members of this thread.

I can only say that the assembly of a thoroughly satisfying audio system is not an event but a journey which, in my case, has taken over 30 years.

It's an old saw but "Good things come to those that wait" (Source: Guinness Stout advertising campaign, 1990s-2000s).

In the meantime, enjoy the music!

Could someone tell me what is the current likely cost of the Detox?

Andy,

Development funding GBP50

With the Detox "Sold at cost" Around GBP100 + Vat & Shipping.

The big uncertainty is the cost of the milled chassis - if there's a cost difference then its a matter of a few 10's of pounds.

I always have the option of offering a Standard and SE version if we are far off target. When I designed the PCB I designed it "without limits" just designed the "ultimate" - at the end of a the day the extra cost in components is just "beer money"...

A folded Steel chassis might cost US$6 to US$10 painted and screen printed - while the CNC milled chassis "should be around" US$50 but the Milled unit not only offers a far FAR higher quality design but also integral RF screening and isolation (which is an important requirement for such a device)...

John
Anyone who has looked at the cost of buying even a very ordinary enclosure for a DIY hi fi project will consider $50 for a CNC milled chassis a screaming bargain and I'm sure will not mind paying the extra.

Andy,

Development funding GBP50

With the Detox "Sold at cost" Around GBP100 + Vat & Shipping.

The big uncertainty is the cost of the milled chassis - if there's a cost difference then its a matter of a few 10's of pounds.

I always have the option of offering a Standard and SE version if we are far off target. When I designed the PCB I designed it "without limits" just designed the "ultimate" - at the end of a the day the extra cost in components is just "beer money"...

A folded Steel chassis might cost US$6 to US$10 painted and screen printed - while the CNC milled chassis "should be around" US$50 but the Milled unit not only offers a far FAR higher quality design but also integral RF screening and isolation (which is an important requirement for such a device)...

OK, so how do I sign up?

My intention is/was to wait for the cake (FWC FDAC) prior the icing (Detox).

Having seen John's SOTA PCB (big credit to you John) of the Detox (blown away), I'm tempted to reverse my initial decisions.

So my thinking is... since I don't belong to a religion that offers multiple lifes, I decide to go for icing prior to cake, here's my small Detox contribution

/Enjoy Life & Take care
Lars

Simon, Andy & LarsS,

Welcome to the Detox and thank you for your support :) (and obviously also a big thank you to all sponsoring members) :)

Detox PCB looks awesome, can't wait to see it populated.

Thank you :)

Yesterday When I first opened the package with the PCB's I said to myself that we really have to do the same for the FDAC/ FDAC Lite!

Yes, I'm keen to start building the Detox PCB - but first I must complete a self set target to crack the current section on the FDAC Analogue PCB that's "dominating" my life at the moment!!! I go to bed and fall asleep trying various layout combinations in my mind!!! there are just so many opposing variables! :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back