advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00101100)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks beautifully engineered: why do I have this bad feeling about the final cost?

Yep - me too! we have GBP100 to play with to be within the GBP150 originally proposed budget....

Much depends on the chassis cost - true I went overboard with the design (as to be expected), but I'm not one to compromise a design for what might be a few 10's of pounds extra...

Yep - me too! we have GBP100 to play with to be within the GBP150 originally proposed budget....

Much depends on the chassis cost - true I went overboard with the design (as to be expected), but I'm not one to compromised for what might be a few 10's of pounds extra...

It looks like it will be the Rolls Royce of USB Regen/purifiers/isolaters :p

And compared to what is currently on the market a few 10's of pounds extra will still be very cheap. At least to those of us that have one on order.

I'm going to have to installed the compressed airline system in the lab when it comes to servicing these units to ease the pain of having to undo all the screws...

Too expensive and cumbersome in my view, just use a cordless driver with torque control.

Much depends on the chassis cost - true I went overboard with the design (as to be expected), but I'm not one to compromised for what might be a few 10's of pounds extra...

I for one cannot wait to see how much more colourful and 3d my pictures will be when printed through this!! :D :p

Thanking everyone for the positive comments - when I started the design it was hard to picture the final results - the way the milled chassis became an integral part of the design etc.

Not to be blowing my own trumpet I'm proud of the Detox because the end result is nice :) and having made the "step" intime, I can incorporate the same design concepts into the FDAC now that we are not constrained by the MDAC chassis.

Too expensive and cumbersome in my view, just use a cordless driver with torque control.

Maybe your right, I have the airlines installed but not the compressor (in the Basement) - problem with the cordless solution is that its never charged when you need it - and each unit has 60 or so screws!

It looks like it will be the Rolls Royce of USB Regen/purifiers/isolaters :p

And compared to what is currently on the market a few 10's of pounds extra will still be very cheap. At least to those of us that have one on order.

WRT the cost, if we are too over the budget I can always offer a standard and "SE" Version - I was already toying with this idea as I'd like to use these Filtered USB connectors but they are GBP5 EACH!!! (we need x2) as opposed to say US$0.25 of the standard versions, The Detox PCB is already well filtered, but extra filtering is never a bad thing WRT RF.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86116171/Filtered USB A.jpg

Ironically, the filtered connector above is basically a self contained "Jitter Bug"......

The Detox includes x11 "Jitterbug" type USB common mode filters + vastly more PSU filtering / isolation. The signals and power lines are filtered between each "isolated" section.

Just enjoying the YouTube mix of Laurence Jones (a recent discovery, about three years behind the times) - laptop straight to MDAC. The live recording quality varies from reasonable to dreadful - and I have a suspicion that with proper USB filtering it will sound even worse! Hopefully that won't apply to more than a handful of my ripped CDs.....

Perfectionist though I am, I think £150 (+P&P & Tax?) is about as high as I'd want to go, so it'll be a standard version for me, please.

David,

As you loaned me your Jitter Bug / Regen you don't need the pay the development fee (if you already have we will deduct it from the final cost) :)

Component cost does not really add much to the final cost - the chassis will be a far chunk of the "At Cost" amount, then you have packaging, PSU, assembly and testing costs etc. So while its obviously far more complex when to other designs, it does not necessary mean a significant cost increase.

I still believe we will still be very close to budget (He says without knowing the Chassis costings).... My mechanical designer does not seem worried so lets see.

WRT the cost, if we are too over the budget I can always offer a standard and "SE" Version - I was already toying with this idea as I'd like to use these Filtered USB connectors but they are GBP5 EACH!!! (we need x2) as opposed to say US$0.25 of the standard versions, The Detox PCB is already well filtered, but extra filtering is never a bad thing WRT RF.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86116171/Filtered USB A.jpg

I ironically, the filtered connector above is basically a self contained "Jitter Bug"......

The Detox includes x11 "Jitterbug" type USB common mode filters + vastly more PSU filtering / isolation. The signals and power lines are filtered between each "isolated" section.

This is looking great! so glad I got on board with the detox :D
Would definitely like filtered connectors on board

Have been lurking here for a while after paying development fee for detox.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back