advertisement

Classical Concert chat...

windhoek

The Phoolosopher
Mahler's Resurrection (second symphony) is being performed at the Glasgow Royal Concert Hall on 3rd October...damn, I just realised that's tonight - doh!

Yes RSNO conducted by Oundjian, it went down well in the Usher Hall last night - especially the Chorus, Sarah Connolly and Valentina Farcas. Oundjian is slightly too romantic a conductor for me, but he did well.

As a member of The RSNO Circle I feel I must add a link to forthcoming concerts for the new season. There are plenty of Glasgow performances,

http://www.rsno.org.uk/live/concert-listing/

The RSNO is 125 years old this year..... Great stuff.

I just remembered that last night's concert went out live on Radio 3, so I guess it is on iplayer

Thanks the heads up on M2 on the BBC herb; I had a look and it's not available just yet, but I've bookmarked the page and will play it when it's available (5th October). I caught a billboard poster for tonight's performance on the way home from work, but alas, didn't notice tonight was the night, so hearing last night's performance might go some way to overcoming my (mild) disappointment.

Thanks also for the link to forthcoming performances. I wouldn't mind attending a Soup, Sandwich and Symphony event :)

Hey Jon L if you're still in town, one of the world's great pianists (as yet not as famous as he will be) is performing in Berlin on Sunday (I'll be going): Francesco Piemontesi. Tickets are still available. Kammermusiksaal.

I saw Rattle do the Resurrection with Berlin Symphony at Southbank (London) last Feb. Also saw Dudamel do the 5th, and Bernard Haitink do Mahler 1. Haitink was by far the best. Loved his B's 9th and Bruckner's 7th as well. Will watch Rattle do Bruckner's 8th in April

I was at the Resurrection gig in February. I sat down at the start thinking I was in for a long haul. It seemed like half an hour later it was over. I had sat enthralled and stunned throughout an outstandingly moving performance. One of my life's musical highlights.

You may be interested that the Berliner Phil with Rattle are starting the entire Beethoven symphony cycle from Monday at 20.00. A trial membership for their online broadcasts is, I believe, free...

I am currently trying to get hold of tickets for Barenboim in Vienna in November.

Went to see part of Gergiev's farewell concerts with the LSO, all with Stravinsky and Bartók.
On the 9th they tackled 2 Bartók pieces (Dance Suite and 2nd Piano Concerto) followed by Firebird after the intermission. The Dance Suite was a bit polite and low key for my taste (quite slow too), but Bronfman did an excellent job in the concerto. The Firebird was the best part of the evening IMHO, with a fantastic finale. The LSO sounded excellent.

Just found out that they have altered the programme for tonight's SCO concert in the Usher Hall. Brahms 2 and Schumann Manfred remain, but Schumann Piano Concerto has replaced the planned Schoenberg Piano Concerto - no reason has been given! I was looking forward to the Schoenberg and feel cheated. (I do realise that not everyone enjoys his music).

Some Schoenberg CDs will spin before I set out this evening....

Ah, it seems that the pianist Lars Vogt was unable to prepare for the performance - unforseen scheduling difficulties. Fair enough, he and Ticciati were very keen to present the piece apparently. Perhaps next year?

Went to see part of Gergiev's farewell concerts with the LSO, all with Stravinsky and Bartók.
On the 9th they tackled 2 Bartók pieces (Dance Suite and 2nd Piano Concerto) followed by Firebird after the intermission. The Dance Suite was a bit polite and low key for my taste (quite slow too), but Bronfman did an excellent job in the concerto. The Firebird was the best part of the evening IMHO, with a fantastic finale. The LSO sounded excellent.

I didn't go that Friday but went on Sunday to watch Stravinsky Symphony in C, Bartok Piano Concerto 3, and Rite of Spring (which was superbly dynamic).

LSO is my favorite orchestra. Their tonality is amazing.

LSO with Gergiev did the Edinburgh Festival in August. Bartok The Miraculous Mandarin and Piano Concerto No3 (Bronfman), and Stravinsky Rite of Spring. Sounded good to me and very professional.

Among other things, I have in December Daniel Harding doing Bruckner 9, Rattle doing Bruckner 6 and 8 in April, and Harding doing Mahler 2 in June. Dudamel doing Turangalia early next year. Some other stuff in between as well. saw Bostridge do Handel arias yesterday.

Schumann's piano concerto is NOTHING like Schoenberg's piano concerto. Pah! The Brahms was excellent though last night.

I have over 20 tickets in my pile for the next few months, mainly RSNO and SCO, but am looking forward to seeing Vladimir Ashkenazy conduct the Philharmonia next month.

Wasn't that the performance with all the blood?

I couldn't see the keyboard after Bronfman finished as I was seated slightly to the right. Schiff is the one who made that remark about the perils of playing Bartók 2.

Heard the Brahms Requiem in Birmingham conducted by Andrew Manze two days ago. I heard Zinman conduct it with the Tonhalle two years ago and told myself it was the last time I was going to hear it- it was lumpen, like a big Victorian sideboard. Manze's interpretation was so different- beautiful pianissimos and agility in the choir and orchestra.
Had always wanted to get the hall in Birmingham- it's stunning.

I couldn't see the keyboard after Bronfman finished as I was seated slightly to the right. Schiff is the one who made that remark about the perils of playing Bartók 2.

A concert pianist colleague was there (if it's the same concert) and apparently the keyboard was covered in the stuff by the end!

advertisement

Back