advertisement

Ergo IX PFM purchase

orangeart

KJF Audio Ltd.
Ergo IX prices.

As promised in my CNC thread I have priced up building Ergo IX speakers for those that requested it. I have tried to give a few options here and hopefully people can pick and choose what they would like.

Plain MDF flat pack - £190 Inc VAT

This option would need finishing by yourselves, either veneering or spraying. It’s the no frills version but will be a good solid box which will house the drivers and the crossovers on a budget.
I can build this box so that it is all glued solid and all you will have to do is screw in the front and back baffle, the drivers and the connectors. I can supply the t-nuts and machine screws (see below) at cost and fit those ready for you. The cost for that is a further £40 (inc VAT)

Walnut Veneered MDF flat pack boxes - £245 Inc VAT

This option would need finishing by your selves. I would propose for this option that only the rear panel is removable while the front of the box is fully mitred to give a neater veneered finish than is possible with narrow edge banding on the front edges and the reveals. The sides and the front baffles would be veneered along with the rear baffle while the rear MDF edges would either need to be stained to match the veneer by yourselves or some other finish that suits. Other veneers are possible. Walnut being about in the middle cost wise, rose wood and Zebrano would be about £40 more and oak and Ash about £20 less. If you let me know I can do whatever you want. This stock is pre-veneered and gives an excellent finish.
I can build this box so that it is all glued solid and all you will have to do is screw in the front and back baffle, the drivers and the connectors. I can supply the t-nuts and machine screws (see below) at cost and fit those ready for you. The cost for that is a further £40 (inc VAT)

Plain Birch Ply BB flat pack - £240 Inc VAT

This option would also need finishing by your selves. If you like seeing the edges of the ply which many find very attractive all you need do is sand and oil it once the box has been glued together.

Walnut Veneered Birch Ply BB Built boxes - £365 Inc VAT

This option would be glued ready for mounting the drivers, I would propose for this option that only the rear panel is removable while the front of the box is fully mitred to give a neater veneered finish than is possible with narrow edge banding on the front edges and the reveals. The sides and the front baffles would be veneered along with the rear baffle while the rear ply edges would be stained to match the veneer. Other veneers are possible. Walnut being about in the middle cost wise, rose wood and Zebrano would be about £40 more and oak and Ash about £20 less. If you let me know I can do whatever you want. As some of you know I have a vacuum press so the veneering will be done properly not ironed on. The drivers and the connectors etc will still need to be added by yourselves. I can supply the t-nuts and machine screws (see below) at cost and fit those ready for you. If some of you would prefer a version with inset mounted baffles I could fit real wood walnut (or whatever) fillets into the front edges to the depth of the baffle so that it would be covered by the baffle one side and then apply the outside veneer the other. This would give a quite convincing solid wood look. Not sure of the price for this yet but £40 for labour plus timber costs, if anyone wants it then say so and I’ll work it out. It would be as close to James’ hardwood original as possible using this flat pack method. It is what I would build if I were having one….maybe I will…

Alternative baffle material

Some of you have asked about Corian baffles, I spoke to the manufacturers and they can’t supply me direct, at least not in these small quantities. I am more than happy to use alternative materials though. If you can get the material to me I will cut it accordingly. There are lots of offcuts on ebay.
If anyone is covering in leather as per James’ original design then please also let me know and I can adjust the baffle accordingly. I’m happy to glue leather up for a build if someone wants to supply their own leather or point me in the right direction. I am also happy to sort out any spraying if people want automotive finishes etc.

Grilles

Nobody asked about grilles so I haven’t worked this out….

Full speaker build prices

I’d charge £140 inc VAT to fully build and test your speakers so all you will have to do is plug them in. This obviously only applies to the above options that are completed speaker boxes already so not the first MDF option. It includes, sanding, sealing and oil/wax and polishing of the cabinets, fitting of the drivers and connectors, stuffing, cable soldering and building and fitting the crossovers.

Crossover costs

Parts as per James’ BOM using Jantzen components. These are high quality components already but if someone wants higher specified Janzen silver or even gold coils or caps I can do that as well.

2 x 7r5 Jantzen MOX resistors £1.37 inc VAT
2 x 4r7 Jantzen MOX resistors £1.37 inc VAT
2 x 1.0mH inductor Jantzen 15AWG P-Core £14.74 inc VAT
2 x 0.27mH inductor Jantzen 18AWG Air-Core £5.71 inc VAT
2 x 18.0uF capacitor Jantzen cross cap £7.25 £15.96inc VAT
2 x 3.3uF capacitor Jantzen Z-Superior £26.95 inc VAT
2.7uF capacitor Jantzen cross cap £2.59£3.00 inc VAT
Total for a pair of IX’s - £71.97

Drivers

15W8530-K01 £120£130.10 inc VAT each
Morel CAT378 £40.28 inc VAT each

Need to confirm this as the distributors have given me the run around a bit with when I can start dealing. If not they will be the same price elsewhere.

Hardware

Screws and t-nuts full set will be £ 18 inc VAT (need to double check this one as not sure whether my suppliers prices included VAT)
Stuffing for full builds will be just £2.50 as it’s only fibreglass batting which comes in great big rolls for not a lot!!
Connectors can be whatever you want, but I can supply quite a few different options so say what sort of quality you would like or supply your own if you want, the same goes for speaker cable.

I've specced some reasonable quality Jantzen audio binding posts, gold plating, neat connector does what we need. £12 per pair and some 4mm cross section 99.99% copper cable for connecting up inside (single wired) at £9.60 for 2 metres (more than enough)

PFM donation

I can give 5% of the base box costs to PFM (or to James to do what he wants to)

Delivery

I need to work this out but it would be at cost or you could all collect from me.

Final thoughts

I've tried to cover as many bases as possible here and have tried to do as much of it apart from the labour at cost as possible. I might incur some delivery costs on some bits to me I haven’t taken into account but will confirm any changes and try and soak this up as best as I can. If I get a few orders confirmed this will be easier.
If you could add yourself to this list if you are interested and confirm to me in an e-mail what you want. I’m at admin (at) KJFaudio (dot) CO (dot) UK.
If others are interested from the audio room or other forums you frequent in this design please feel free to point them at this thread. If we get a few more than the initial interest show in my CNC thread I’ll be able to start doing some discounts as some parts can be more mass produced and hence speed production time up a little. If I got 5 pairs to make that were all Ply for example I could run them together and give £20 off the box price. If I were to get say 3 full builds I could give £10 of the build price.
I will let the list run for a couple of weeks before I order any drivers and crossover components to give everyone a fair crack at getting on the list. Hopefully once I have got this all set up on the CNC machine I’ll be able to plug it back in should anyone want another pair in the future so if you missed the initial run, please feel free to contact me. I may get a few sets of drivers over to sit on the shelf so this can be turned around a bit quicker in the future.

Payment will be by paypal invoice with the charges added. Once all invoices are paid, I’ll order the parts.

Thanks
Stefan

Stefan

Fantastic effort to price all this up, and I wish you every success and hope lots of people take this up. This may well be the PFM-Special mark 2 that I contrived some years ago and never quite finished.

James

Thanks James. I remember wanting to build the PFM 2 special when you were designing it. Shame it never got finished. Maybe I'll take a look at it at some point and finish it off. Be good to have a section on the site (when I get it built) of community based speakers that attract a donation to their originating forums or creators.

Stefan

Thats some keen pricing.
I am going to have to wait to see what happens with my house move, but will probably jump in.

Hi Stefan, I'm deeply interested in these as it's a closed box and just looks 'right'.

I may have to wait until next year however when hopefully I'll have a contract to help pay for them but please add me to the list of interested parties.

Initial thoughts for choice would be veneered (Elm?) cabinets + all components for a self build.

Thanks Sam, thought you'd already got a pair??

Yup, built as floorstanders.. I would almost certainly be after an MDF kit (without drivers/crossover) so I can build a set of bookshelves up as needed... Think the new house is going to need them rather than floorstanders.

:)

I should be interested joining up for a pair of ready glued enclosures in birch ply plus a complete set of components (drivers and x-overs) for completion. I'd have to have a think about finish details (possibly leaving them plain for sanding and oiling or having them veneered). Add me to your list!

Get a veneer ;) BB Birch ply can have defects on the face but none-the-less Birch is rather plain with little pattern.

Maybe you guys (Tenson & Stefan) should join forces to create a version using the active crossovers.....would probably make a killer system........

So a fully built tested and ready to go pair would be about £885 by my calcs.

Thats a lot of speaker for the money!

If provided with the transfer function of the xover I could feasibly create active xover boards for self assembly.

Hi Stefan, I'm deeply interested in these as it's a closed box and just looks 'right'.

I may have to wait until next year however when hopefully I'll have a contract to help pay for them but please add me to the list of interested parties.

Initial thoughts for choice would be veneered (Elm?) cabinets + all components for a self build.

Great well let me know when you are ready.

Yup, built as floorstanders.. I would almost certainly be after an MDF kit (without drivers/crossover) so I can build a set of bookshelves up as needed... Think the new house is going to need them rather than floorstanders.

:)

OK, well jump in when you are ready.

I should be interested joining up for a pair of ready glued enclosures in birch ply plus a complete set of components (drivers and x-overs) for completion. I'd have to have a think about finish details (possibly leaving them plain for sanding and oiling or having them veneered). Add me to your list!

Hi Andrew,

That's great could you just email me at the address I provided in the OP with your requirements. I'll be adding and updating a list on here but having an email in the first instance with everyone's requirements helps me immensely.

Maybe you guys (Tenson & Stefan) should join forces to create a version using the active crossovers.....would probably make a killer system........

That's doable. When I get the web shop up maybe I can get some of the audio smile active crossover boards up their for sale if Tenson wants a dealer. I believe they can be used in a few different configurations?

I am also now a hypex dealer as well so can sell amp modules for active builds as well

advertisement

Back