advertisement

Inca Tech Claymore repair/update

Alan Brown

Registered LUser
(Claymore, Claymore 2, Claymore S, IT amplifiers, ID amplifiers, Dirk, Sabre 1 & 2)

Inca Tech Claymore (and others) - update kit which allows replacement FETs or upgrades to current ones - Colin Wonfor has just made these available. You can contact him on AudioChews.

Also some circuit diagrams here: Linky.

fets%202_zpsowcjd50k.jpg

fets%203_zpsbfnbwksb.jpg

fets%206_zpskqrn78ug.jpg

fet%20mt%201_zpsisp2xznz.jpg

Set of four £15 (Sept 2015).

Alan, does that £15 include the fets as well? Thanks for posting the photos, had noticed this update and was wondering what it looked like.

EDIT: (probably just answered my own question by looking up the price of the fets....)

How would you describe the difference/improvement? I have a well bodged claymore here, which may just about stand up to some more bodging...

Alan, does that £15 include the fets as well? Thanks for posting the photos, had noticed this update and was wondering what it looked like.

EDIT: (probably just answered my own question by looking up the price of the fets....)

How would you describe the difference/improvement? I have a well bodged claymore here, which may just about stand up to some more bodging...

Sorry no.
Best Col

I have a length of insulated wire I am happy to sell for half this price which I am happy will do a better job.

The circuit is based on the 70s Hitachi design which used lateral MOSFETs like the semelab/profusion ones. The 2SK414/J119 are vertical MOSFETs, these have more distortion in the lower current levels, which might be why the new ones, actually one of the oldest MOSFET technologies, sound a bit better.

I have a length of insulated wire I am happy to sell for half this price which I am happy will do a better job.

Look better I think not I have done it it looks shit and can break and has in the past. Oh and wire has no tooling cost, so yep cheap.

The circuit is based on the 70s Hitachi design which used lateral MOSFETs like the semelab/profusion ones. The 2SK414/J119 are vertical MOSFETs, these have more distortion in the lower current levels, which might be why the new ones, actually one of the oldest MOSFET technologies, sound a bit better.

Yes the old design I worked on for IR and Hitachi was modified a bit and used in the Claymore and on Magnum designs, original sounded crap cheap and un-musical. After revisiting the design I have done yet a few more changes for the new one coming soon.
I do like K.I.S.S. designs don't you.

They do indeed but he point of the Thread was to help those with old Claymore to get them fixed, not to replace them for fun and cost.

Especially when you see jokers like this £60 a set around!

So you're saying if ain't broke...as there would be minimal/no audible advantage?

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I do like K.I.S.S. designs don't you.

It depends on how its done, given unlimited budget I would have a simple class A 100 watt amplifier, failing that an amplifier with error correction, which adds complexity but will pass for a hundred watt class A amplifier to my ears.

advertisement

Back