advertisement

Ar Lunar Equilateral

linntroika

pfm Member
Being an avid fan of the Lunar , i see Avi has produced an New one( Equilateral) Has anybody had the pleasure yet ?, and if so does it justify the extra cost :rolleyes:

As far as i can see there has only been one review of the Equilateral , has anybody else auditioned it and if so what were your thoughts:rolleyes:

I think I am the only one to have reviewed the cable on here. It is a big step up from the Lunar in my opinion.

I emailed Avi during the week,regarding the difference between Lunar and Equilateral, here is an extract of his reply

"Thanks for your email. It's good to hear from you again and to read how you enjoy listening with the Lunar interconnect.
The Equilateral IMO (and others..) is much better in terms of low bass extension and dynamic range.
It just sounds more realistic to listen with the new Equilateral. of course the standard Lunar also superb, but anything can be improved.

The Equilateral represents the maximum conductor square cut that can be soldered to DIN connectors that are limited in space VS RCA (but have other advantages over RCA).
As I can't see in mind any system combination / taste of listener that the standard Lunar will be preferred over the new Equilateral cable."

I liked all the Lunars i have had in my system, whether its been Cds3/Hugo- 52 or Teddysupercap to Power amp, they have all made a remarkable difference

Ive just ordered an Equilateral - ill give an update in a few weeks time

I bought one as I'd also been impressed by the Lunar. At the same time I had a Chord Sarum Tuned Aray and a Naim Super Lumina on home demo. I decided to keep the Equilateral.
Sonically the Chord got ditched fairly early on - just sounded a bit dull relative to the others.
At the margin, I preferred the Naim SL and wife preferred the Equilateral but it was a very close call, and when you throw value for money into it, the AR becomes a no-brainer. Am now considering replacing the rest of my Naim loom with AR cables.
In terms of differences, it's just more of the same rather than radically different to the regular Lunar - more clarity, more air around instruments and voices, cleaner bass lines. I wouldn't say the differences are massive, which perhaps speaks more about how good the regular cable is.

Did you get the cable? Can you share your first impressions?

Avi told me it would take around 250 hours to run in properly (I'm about 80 % there)
The first 24 hours the sound was similar with the usual lunar charistics,but no "wow" factor
2 days later ,yes it's starting to sound pretty good ,bedding in nicely (at this
stage I'm thinking it's an improvement but does the sound justify the extra cost??)

OK a full week later ,now I'm starting to hear real differences , the vocals sound more natural , the highs are more rounded & continually hit the sweet spot , soundstage is slightly wider and there is more air & space around the notes
It reminds me of going from a Linn axis to Lp12 - the sound is very much more analogue
I would totally concur with heihei comments , if you like what the Lunar already does ,I would say it pushes the bar again up quite a few notches :)
For me this new cable is a keeper and when you think of the cost in relation to other cables that I've auditioned ( Sarum tuned array,hi-line) Avi's Unto another Winner :)

Avi told me it would take around 250 hours to run in properly (I'm about 80 % there)
The first 24 hours the sound was similar with the usual lunar charistics,but no "wow" factor
2 days later ,yes it's starting to sound pretty good ,bedding in nicely (at this
stage I'm thinking it's an improvement but does the sound justify the extra cost??)

OK a full week later ,now I'm starting to hear real differences , the vocals sound more natural , the highs are more rounded & continually hit the sweet spot , soundstage is slightly wider and there is more air & space around the notes
It reminds me of going from a Linn axis to Lp12 - the sound is very much more analogue
I would totally concur with heihei comments , if you like what the Lunar already does ,I would say it pushes the bar again up quite a few notches :)
For me this new cable is a keeper and when you think of the cost in relation to other cables that I've auditioned ( Sarum tuned array,hi-line) Avi's Unto another Winner :)

Thanks a lot for this. I have ordered one myself so hope to be able to share impressions soon with you here.

I have the Equilateral in my system for about a month now. While things were slightly better in the beginning when compared to the 'standard' Lunar - not day and night for sure- now things seem to be really off and sounding 'wrong' - all very bright and hardly any bass, almost as if I am listening to an old radio... I put back the old Lunar to see if this was just my perception, but things were right immediately. Is this something that others have experienced during burn in?

IIRC, with one of the other AR cables,( maybe the standard Lunar?) the blurb said the burn-in period went through several phases, one of which was perceived as bright/bass light before finally settling down to being more fully rounded.
Not sure I belief in the whole "cable burn in thing" anyway & it seems to be a very divisive area.
Anyhow, I'd give it some more time & if you're not happy with it after another week or two, let Avi know. In fact if it were me, I'd email Avi now to let him know your concerns to give him a heads-up.
Matt.

That doesn't seem right at all. My cable took a few days to bed in with no major ups and downs. Just more detail, better bass and more air and separation.

That doesn't seem right at all. My cable took a few days to bed in with no major ups and downs. Just more detail, better bass and more air and separation.

Totally agree with Muttley2, i had my Equilateral on constant play for 10 days , but at no stage did it sound bright or lacking in the bass department
Today the cable sounds fabulous in my system , so i would contact Avi and ask him for a replacement

I will give it some more time and will report back. In the meantime, grateful for your reviews of this cable.

Having been using AR cables for some years now and being one of the first to enthuse, OK - RAVE, about them here on PFM I would say two things.

From my experience the cables did take a long time to settle in; I have no idea what might be happening with the cable over this period but things certainly improved sonicly. I did find that as I worked up the quality ladder the settling period got a lot quicker and less audibly uncomfortable.

My original Green cable was a massive audio roller-coaster that took about three weeks of playing to sound consistently good; this included periods of no bass and overly bright, but got there in the end.

As I say things got quicker to get better as my cables improved. When I got the Lunar it was pretty much there from day one and certainly after a week was near full song. This makes me think that there is something wrong with your Equilateral.

The other thing I will say is that Avi is a totally lovely chap and a true gentleman. I'm sure that if you are not 100% totally satisfied after the recommended running in period he will give you a refund or a new cable.

Keep us posted anyway.

Hmmm - interesting. In the last week or so, my system has started sounding "off" too - v bright and harsh. This is def on the streamer side (which has the AR cable) as my turntable is fine. Yet to do more analysis to see whether this is a cable issue.

As an update to this, I think my issue was more to do with cable dressing rather than the AR cable. I'd been skeptical of the value of this, but on spending an hour or so making sure cables were in free space, a big improvement. As such, the Lunar Equilateral is performing v well, to the point of considering upgrading the rest of my cabling.

advertisement

Back