advertisement

JVC AX-Z1010TN - Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replacement arrived, hooked up (via optical). Only played a few hours, but I can say both as an amplifier and a DAC it is pretty phenomenal.

Bearing in mind the unit has only a few hours running and has spent 16 years in a box I am impressed. The DAC on 16/44 material matches by Buffalo 3, in fact I think it drags more out of the mix than the Buffalo. Depth, spacial information and sheer speed seem better. There is perhaps a hint of harshness that isn't there on the Buffalo, however that could just be the fact that its more accurate. This is feeding the JVC from a Mac via a M2 Tech Evo with external clock and power supply and with an optical SPDIF.

The amp itself if just as impressive, fast and detailed. The bottom end is getting more full as the unit burns in, what is impressive is the control it has over the music, I have never heard as much separation between instruments even during complex passages. As flatpopely says, it seems to reveal elements in the mix not noticed before.

Needless to say I am impressed. We certainly didn't give these monster Japanese amps a fair chance in the '80's and '90's as everyone was smitten by the Naim / Linn party line.

As a final note, the seller has been amazing, sending out a new unit right away even before I sent the old one back.

More later once I have tried hooking up via coax and trying the phono stage.

Are you using the DA Direct function?

It makes a big difference.

I also use the bass control, the HORROR, at 4 o clock!

The phono stage isn't too shabby either.

I have used the DA function all the time on digital so, I need longer to really assess any differences with it on or off.

I'm running into Zu Essences in a small room so bass really isn't an issue, so haven't tried the bass enhancer. What I have noticed is that the bass is incredibly well defined,and goes very deep.

As I mentioned, there is perhaps a slight glare on the DA compared to my Buffalo, but thats a minor issue and could just be due to level differences when comparing or the fact my DAC uses the Legato output stage which is a little soft and rounded conpared to the IVY, certainly the JVC doesnt give much up cpmpared to the far newer Sabre.

Does anyone have any details on the design of the DAC in the JVC, I would be interested to know the configuration.

Regards

Guys, just how far up the ladder are these brutes in comparison to my little
A-X77?
I didn't even know I had this amp until Tony spotted it and bloody 'ell I'm thankful he alerted me to it.

I set it up often now and it always impresses, in fact it's doing a great job at present (and just for a laugh really) of seriously driving and doing a great job with the Isobariks I've just bought.

It takes it all in its stride........ugly little bugger but what an amplifier.

I shudder to think how good the amps you lads have bought are.

Thanks for that. Yes the amp has a phono stage which I tried for the first time with another PFM'r last week.

Will that 20 quidder be good too do you reckon? What a buy if it's only half as good.

I thought the big TA-F7 was going to be the one big Jap amp I keep but it'll now be the 77 without doubt......the Naim gear is redundant:D

MartínC, how many hours have you put on your new amp? It's just that you've stated that the bass has improved with burn in and also that you've only listened for 2 hours?

Also, have you tried just using the optical output from your Mac?

Have any JVC users actually noticed an improvement after 2/ 3/ 400 hours??

Thanks

Yes, the K2 is just a filter.

From the service manual it states that the DA is two PCM56P ICs from NIHONBARBU.

MartínC, how many hours have you put on your new amp? It's just that you've stated that the bass has improved with burn in and also that you've only listened for 2 hours?

Also, have you tried just using the optical output from your Mac?

Have any JVC users actually noticed an improvement after 2/ 3/ 400 hours??

Thanks

Probably a total now of 5 hours, I expect that the main PS caps are the ones that need to reform after 26 years in a warehouse. Not sure how long it takes to fully happen, i did leave the amp on though for a number of hours between listening sessions.

On the optical input from the MAC, strange that you mention that, I did just hook up and bypassed my M2TEC EVO USB to SPDIF converter as the power supply to it just went out.

Works very well straight from the Macbook, difficult to say whether its a change from the EVO.

The biggest plug for the JVC is that I have been up far too late in the evening listening to music after hooking it up!

I was looking at the latest issue of Hi Fi World earlier today and they had their 'Standards' section, or whatever it is they call their vintage classics round-up. Interesting anti-Japanese bias on there as you'd expect, but mainly on the integrated amps. Only one Jap amp was mentioned (not sure if NAD count), which was a budget Rotel. All the others were British, with maybe one or two Europeans. Strange that there were plenty of Japanese options listed in the CD player and tuner sections though (and turntables to a lesser extent). Why is it that amps seemed to be singled out?

I also looked at some old hi-fi mags from the early 90s in a shop in Exeter whilst we were there last month and the 1010 was listed at £650 in the listings at the back. I'm guessing that's maybe equivalent to £1100 in today's money.

Regards,
Nick

I owned the jvc ax-z1010tn 3 x, audio is my small business.

Its a very good amp, but dont be misleaded, it looks massive but has a very friendly, polite sound.

My favourite budget-amp is the Sony TA-5650 V-Fet, its only downside is it doesnt have the oomph to drive difficult speakers.

I owned the jvc ax-z1010tn 3 x, audio is my small business.

Its a very good amp, but dont be misleaded, it looks massive but has a very friendly, polite sound.

Polite? Does that mean insightful with impressive instrumental separation, solid, but unexaggerated bass, quite breathtaking mid range esp on vocals and superbly clear, non-fatiguing treble? It is not the most organic sounding I've heard perhaps (valves do that best), but overall it is the most competent and enjoyable amp I have had sitting in front of me at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back