advertisement

MDAC First Listen (Part 00101001)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm getting caught up in the excitement but I don't really understand what it is I'm excited by.

1) £50 for dev cost, or whole thing?
2) Is it a separate thing or built into the FDAC
3) Does it require another external power source
4) can I completely negate the need by choosing to use an optical connection instead? ie: why bother going with USB? (simple answer is best - such as sounds better/more features available)

Sorry for being dense. I'm better at cheer leading.

Adam,

We can comparer them with the ReGen - and also worth measuring the USB RF filter....
IN this months HFN they test the jitterbug. The very limited measurements included the eye pattern. PM claims that the rise time decreases from 22ns to 15 ns (which seems difficult to grasp give that it is only a filter not a regenerator). I don't know if anyone else has seen this but on purely visual inspection of the print I cannot see this at all. The two eye patterns look almost identical. Surely a 1/3 reduction in rise time would look obvious. Am I being thick?

Hi Mike,

have a look at the MDAC Service Manual. On page 4 you'll find an exploded drawing.

Remove the rear panel with all the screws (even those on the connectors/sockets). Remove the 4 front panel screws. Carefully remove the flat ribbon cable from the front panel and then slide the mainboard+powerboard out of the case. Maybe it's possible to relocate the front panel, so you can slide it through the case without disconnecting the flat ribbon cable.

Michael

Edit: Oh and it's T6 :)

Thanks for the info, and service manual!

I'm getting caught up in the excitement but I don't really understand what it is I'm excited by.

1) £50 for dev cost, or whole thing?

The GBP50 is the development cost, the units are sold "at cost" to sponsoring members :) GBP80 Max...

2) Is it a separate thing or built into the FDAC
Seperate device that can be used with any DAC, but can only be Clock-Locked to the MDAC / FDAC.

3) Does it require another external power source

Well come supplied with a linear AC PSU adaptor

4) can I completely negate the need by choosing to use an optical connection instead? ie: why bother going with USB? (simple answer is best - such as sounds better/more features available)

Optical connection gives you the highest isolation (very important) but the Async USB allows the Audio Master clock to be located in the DAC (also very important) so its a toss up as to which is the best - personally the number one requirement is that the Audio device is the master clock - so its important to optimise the USB connection.

Uuhh, I lost the track... Will the usb-device improve even the performance of Auralic Aries, with dedicated clock? My technical understanding of rf-filtering and computer noise ist so small!
Thanks

... although some of us are still expecting an official poll and a definite quote on FDAC costs, so the effects of this decision would be clear

Johan

Agree with you JohanH, for the sake of creating clarity amongst us sponsors since FDAC is/should be our main focus.

/Cheers
Lars

John,
I have made payments for 2 x USB detox development Fees.
But in the excitement I forgot to add my PFM name to the second payment.

Seems like it; although some of us are still expecting an official poll and a definite quote on FDAC costs, so the effects of this decision would be clear

Johan

Johan,

I have a quote from the new vendor I visited in China and there price looks good, but I worry about their quality and possible 'Bait and Hook' offer a good price but then it increases once you place the official order.

I've asked for a second quote from a more trusted vendor - this will take 10 days or so.

Uuhh, I lost the track... Will the usb-device improve even the performance of Auralic Aries, with dedicated clock? My technical understanding of rf-filtering and computer noise ist so small!
Thanks

It should work with any USB DAC.

Johan,

I have a quote from the new vendor I visited in China and there price looks good, but I worry about their quality and possible 'Bait and snatch' offer a good price but then it increases once you place the official order.

I've asked for a second quote from a more trusted vendor - this will take 10 days or so.

John,

thanks for the reply.
PCB at cost for MDAC is definitely not going to happen?

Cheers,
Johan

Johan,

I have a quote from the new vendor I visited in China and there price looks good, but I worry about their quality and possible 'Bait and snatch' offer a good price but then it increases once you place the official order.

Great John!

Appreciate your focus on the FDAC journey, pls keep us all posted on the progress and an indication of the final FDAC cost would be appreciated.

/and as always Cheers
Lars

Sorry for interrupting the regularly scheduled program but as a relatively late backer, can I ask a few small questions?

1) What is this USB Detox Development option? Is it part of the MDAC2 or something totally different?
2) Is the MDAC2 mainboard still going to be shipped by itself and the case and HQ PSU developed at a later stage?
3) Where exactly is John at the moment? Is he developed globehopping powers so he can be in multiple places?
4) Has the company still got my details so I can be informed when it's payment time?

John,
I have made payments for 2 x USB detox development Fees.
But in the excitement I forgot to add my PFM name to the second payment.
Do you need to do that!? I didn't add my name, just pressed pay. So I'm the other mystery payer John.

Sorry for interrupting the regularly scheduled program but as a relatively late backer, can I ask a few small questions?

1) What is this USB Detox Development option? Is it part of the MDAC2 or something totally different?
2) Is the MDAC2 mainboard still going to be shipped by itself and the case and HQ PSU developed at a later stage?
3) Where exactly is John at the moment? Is he developed globehopping powers so he can be in multiple places?
4) Has the company still got my details so I can be informed when it's payment time?

1. Uptone Regen & Schiit Wyrd in new clothes
2. No
3. Time will tell
4. ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back