advertisement

MDAC First Listen (Part 00101001)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Further suggestion: it would great if, instead of using a USB cable to connect the Detox to the DAC , you could use one of those short rigid USB A male to B male converters. ( That' s how I connect my Pi to my MDAC ). Perhaps you could bear this in mind when thinking about the placement of the female USB output socket on the Detox?

I'm in too. I don't suppose Adam wants one though....

If it can be demonstrated to bring improvement then I'm sure Adam will be interested - I understand Adams scepticisms of all things HiFi as this industry has degenerated into charlatan ex-caravan owners selling cables, "energy" crystals and anything that can be constructed in a garage (now vacant since selling the Caravan to the local Meth lab dealer)!

I'll obviously post full test and measurement result :)

Further suggestion: it would great if, instead of using a USB cable to connect the Detox to the DAC , you could use one of those short rigid USB A male to B male converters. ( That' s how I connect my Pi to my MDAC ). Perhaps you could bear this in mind when thinking about the placement of the female USB output socket on the Detox?

Yes, that's the plan.

Put me down for one, please.

The Regen + Jitterbug do a pretty good job but this sounds ideal from every point of view.

I'm not sure whether anyone has discussed this before, but I just stumbled across the Schiit Wyrd USB Decrapifier... got to love that name! Anyway, I thought it may be of interest.

Bruce,

Looking at the internal pictures of the schiit then its a single USB HUB with clean PSU - looks better value then the ReGen, but TBH I don't see much if any effort to tackle RF or provide isolation etc.

It might even use the same USB Hub IC as the ReGen unit.

No worries John.

I don't plan to use USB, so I assume there's no point in me joining the USB Detox project. Although it's quite possible I'm missing something. Am I?

By the way, with regard to S/PDIF cables, what's the general view... are the standard plastic Belkin type cables as good as any or is it worth a bit of an upgrade?

I'm not sure whether anyone has discussed this before, but I just stumbled across the Schiit Wyrd USB Decrapifier... got to love that name! Anyway, I thought it may be of interest.

I do like their style..."Improves Sound, Color Printing, Data Stability
Just kidding. This is silly. That’s like saying charging your iPhone off Wyrd makes the battery last longer. But some listeners say Wyrd improves the sound of their system. We’re not going to make any such claims. Nor are we going to recommend it for printers, external USB drives, or iPhone chargers."

Its almost worth $99 just because of their honesty.

John are you aware of any music renderers, either commercially produced for the purpose or adapted like the Pi and other SBCs, that successfully minimise the crap down to an acceptable level?
Hereby hangs the tale. If you could work out what the acceptable parameters of a usb stream are, then why not test various source devices with various dacs to see how they stand up. I have never seen this.
The Pi2 is a simpler computer platform so well have less "encoded" phase noise - but its still orders too noisy - A well designed USB ReGen and RF filtering with Isolation is the real solution, a multi stage approach as each stage will only a attenuation a certain level of encoded phase.

With a little care, a self powered USB hub can have much lower phase noise on their USB packets then any Host PC device.
I'm sure that's true, it's more the question of what difference it really makes which bothers me.

Yes. THis device looks like it does the same thing as a Regen, although much cheaper ($99 or annoyingly £90!)
This opens a whole bag of hurt - dear Adam here on PFM will be rolling around in discomfort!
Yup. I'm especially dubious about the people bodging around with windows . Over on the slimdevices forum there were lots of IT professionals who made the point that if you were trying to make a server/player run efficiently (with specific targets) you would start with a linux operating system containing only those elements you actually need.
Why is of course exactly what a sbt is as player, or any old pc in a cupboard running lms under debian or even arch as a server.

Why on earth would you start with windows. Preposterous.

That said the same people pretty much fell about laughing at the idea of server OS making any difference. I seem to remember seeing some people play around with trying to get some real effect by stressing the CPU of a server. It may have been archimago but it may have been someone else.

I can see how the varying CPU process produces different RF / Jitter spectrum and this is a fact of life - what's not tolerable is that this makes its way into the Analogue domain.
This is what I would like to see demonstrated.

the elephant in the room to ignore the multitude of problems posed by connecting a computer to the audio system. I've always stressed that the RF and Jitter should be dealt with BEFORE they are allowed to enter the DAC enclosure - this holds true for the MDAC and FDAC.

The design is a quick task, the production will be interesting, but I'm really keen to "send a simple design down the production line before the FDAC PCB's" so it makes this little project even more interesting.

If there is significant interest then it will take less then a week to design the PCB.

As each USB Hub device only offers a certain "limited" level of attenuation I'll cascade 3 devices in series each with there own PSU and Clock interface, this will add extra cost - but its the correct way to design the board.

Lets to a proper job of this :)

I'll use these RF screen tins for each Cascaded attenuation stage and the Master clock circuit:-

http://www.teko.it/en/prodotti/famiglia/RF/serie/49

So the design will look something like this:-

Development fee GBP50 + unit sold at cost say around GBP80 payable once we start to manufacturer the PCB's.

If we have say 20 PFM'ers interested then I'll launch the project and spend an hour or 2 designing the PCB each night.
Just to clarify: is there one unit with all 3 cascaded devices, or is the idea to have 3 separate devices (with 3 separate plugs) one after the other.

If it can be demonstrated to bring improvement then I'm sure Adam will be interested - I understand Adams scepticisms of all things HiFi as this industry has degenerated into charlatan ex-caravan owners selling cables, "energy" crystals and anything that can be constructed in a garage (now vacant since selling the Caravan to the local Meth lab dealer)!

I'll obviously post full test and measurement result :)
I'll happily spring £130 to see a full set of test results, with the unit as a bonus. I would not want to delay the FDAC though. That said a nice devialet phantom is beginning to appeal.

John, now that it is obvious that an upgrade board for the original MDAC is not going to happen, I need to know if the full width chassis will fit my rack. How deep (front to back) will it be? I have 37cm from wall to front of shelf.
(And how deep will it be with the new USB gizmo plugged directly into the back)
Regards
Clive

No worries John.

I don't plan to use USB, so I assume there's no point in me joining the USB Detox project. Although it's quite possible I'm missing something. Am I?

By the way, with regard to S/PDIF cables, what's the general view... are the standard plastic Belkin type cables as good as any or is it worth a bit of an upgrade?
IN a world in which asynch usb requires 3 cascaded sets of usb regeneration to work, I would imagine that anything less than 5k on a S/PDIF cable was madness.

John, now that it is obvious that an upgrade board for the original MDAC is not going to happen,

Seems like it; although some of us are still expecting an official poll and a definite quote on FDAC costs, so the effects of this decision would be clear

Johan

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back