advertisement

MDAC First Listen (Part 00101001)

Status
Not open for further replies.
John, a question about the original M-DAC. I read some pages back in this thread that you mentioned about the “caps issue”. Did you find the root cause of these caps failing? Is it a case of poor quality caps used or do these caps fail due to another (external?) cause?

Poor quality capacitors! :(

Hi JohnW,
Now with the partership with miniDSP do you think (maybe as a future upgrade) that hdmi will the possible?
How do you plan now to accomodate the slave units? Will they require a fwc each slave?
Can you please share the plans for the slaves now as things are changing?

Thanks

As the FWC now allows the extra space, we are investigating the possibility of adding the HDMI interface - it will most likely be an extra "Plug-in card" to avoid delaying the release date.

If it can be add without delaying the project we will - but either way the Fusion DAC will have "optional" HDMI inputs which will allow multichannel support via the Fusion Master / Slave units or pure DSD extraction from compatible SACD players.

I'm very happy for this as we will now not need to develop a custom extraction card to be retrofitted to DVD / SACD / BR players :)

This is the type of advantage working with miniDSP and going FWC has allowed.

Hi John

There are probably a few that might like to know about this capability of HDMI input/output with miniDSP in the mix.

miniDSP have got HDMI on their Products so they have Licenses - these could prove to be most useful in setting up a FULLY LOADED REFERENCE HOME THEATER device with Slaves now!

Even change the Slot Loader for a Bluray/SACD transport? - these Drives OEM cannot be that much more than CD and oh so much more flexible with Bluray Audio coming in too. :)

You did mention the Digital Interface could be upgraded with our FWC DACs, so hopefully that means the OEM Optical Drive interface could be interchangeable, or at least have the capability of upgrading later?

Many thanks

Paul

PS. To make our DACs special, a John Westlake 'made with love' insignia would be terrific ;-)

The internal slot loader is ONLY CD, but via the "Optional" HDMI ports you can connect to a compatible SACD and extract the Bit perfect DSDstream / mulitchannel audio.

The Fusion DAC(s) can support multichannel audio directly by its Master / Slave interface.

This is a good idea, but have all of the first 200 places gone?

I have held off paying £400 via the Lakewest website, because I don't know the state of the game at the moment.

I had planned to wait until the TDAC was on the horizon. However, I would now like to join the Fusion DAC project if possible.

The Fusion DAC in a FWC, with a possible CD player and other features including maybe phono inputs, is a really attractive proposition.

John, are you likely to open a new thread asking for backers for the FWC Fusion DAC? (I hope I've got all the audio terminology right here). I met you and Renata when you demoed the Audiolab CDQ in London a few years ago.

Jack

Jack,

Our first production batch will be 250pcs, with currently around 200 backers and I expect to "loose" about 10 - 20 due to the shift to the FWC, so new backers are very welcome to cover the expected dropouts.... :)

Nobody has yet jumped in on this one. Maybe I misunderstood something, but I thought that the FWC would be styled to match the VFET mockup pictures which John showed a while back, i.e. bright polished Al. This was part of the dealbreaker for me.

Any comments/corrections?

Bob

Bob,

The VFET amps where NEVER going to be bright polished!!! that sounds rather ghastly!

We will "Ice blast" the surface to give a texture finish like the Uni-body Apple products, anodized Black or silver....

The VFET amplifiers will match the Fusion DAC (but taller and with a Plasma display bargraph rather then the Fusions touch screen) - below is the basic ID design of the FWC (subject to working on fine details):-

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86116171/Fusion DAC.png

The front panel is Milled from 15cm Aluminum sheets - and the display area is an IPS colour touch screen.

Shown is the CD slot loader version, obviously no slot on the non CD versions.

Its going to be a REALLY Ground breaking stomping product :)

I just hope that amongst all the extra features and built in phono stages, somebody thinks of the children .. err, recording engineers wishing to connect (condenser) microphones directly, without those pesky low quality mixpults/preamps and phantom power injectors. :D

(edit: in case you didn't get the joke - just kidding, noone wants to have extra knobs on the back that one person has use for)

I presume you asked about putting the Pi in the FWC because the i2s connection is meant to be less than 3cm?

I understand you use the GPIO pins to get the i2s out of the Pi, but can you point me to something that will tell me how to do that exactly. Cheers

Not really, it just sounds like the streaming interface that John will be installing may be fairly limited in what it will do - however I understand John reticence for getting involved with having to support something more sophisticated.

I want to use Roon software, they will be releasing their RoonSpeakers streaming software very soon. This will be integrated into a range of high end dacs/streamers and simple items such as RPI etc as end points.

Now of course I can always do this via the USB out of the Pi, it would just be nice for it to be integrated internally. My mind is just ticking over the possibilities, I have no idea of how or if this can be successfully implemented.

As the Pi does have I2S and SPI it sounds like a more sophisticated streamer could well be built in.

My knowledge is still very limited on the Pis I2S etc, but there is a fair amount of resource out there. I can only recommend a bit of Googling I'm afraid.

cheers

Bob,

The VFET amps where NEVER going to be bright polished!!! that sounds rather ghastly!

We will "Ice blast" the surface to give a texture finish like the Uni-body Apple products, anodized Black or silver....

The VFET amplifiers will match the Fusion DAC (but taller and with a Plasma display bargraph rather then the Fusions touch screen) - below is the basic ID design of the FWC (subject to working on fine details):-

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86116171/Fusion DAC.png

The front panel is Milled from 15cm Aluminum sheets - and the display area is an IPS colour touch screen.

Shown is the CD slot loader version, obviously no slot on the non CD versions.

Its going to be a REALLY Ground breaking stomping product :)

Oh yeah :cool:

I really like the design!

John, do you have any details on the DSP ic used by miniDSP for the Fusion DAC?

To be quite honest, I'm quite interested in trying the DSP room / speaker correction as it can be performed in full 56 bit mathematical precision - with this 56 bits being feed directly into the FPGA modulator thus maintaining as much mathematical precision as possible reducing DSP rounding errors.

Will this still be possible with the miniDSP implementation?

Absolutely love that design John.

For my music source it will still be flac, but it would be nice to have a disc spinner on the occasion I havent got round to ripping. I guess there wouldn't be the capability to use the drive to rip cds ?

As for AV its got to be BR, hopefully with the 2 MDAC2 Slaves :) I'm still looking for a new house, current one looks like its sold (in one day!!). Fingers crossed I can have a dedicated room purely for music and film. If not I just can't imagine SWMBO (yes a reconciliation) agreeing to a 5.1 ML setup. If this is the case I'm still not 100% sure whether to go the "whole hog" with the slaves for AV as mentioned. I'm even considering a cabin/shed, if the garden size and funds permit. A few I've seen have cellars :cool: for a proper man cave retreat.

Hope China treats you well , cheers.

I expect to "loose" about 10 - 20 due to the shift to the FWC,

Maybe those who currently have 'fusioned' MDACs and are going to have FWC could 'swap' for those who can only live with the original form factor.

Reducing their disappointment ?

Absolutely love that design John.

For my music source it will still be flac, but it would be nice to have a disc spinner on the occasion I havent got round to ripping. I guess there wouldn't be the capability to use the drive to rip cds ?

As for AV its got to be BR, hopefully with the 2 MDAC2 Slaves :) I'm still looking for a new house, current one looks like its sold (in one day!!). Fingers crossed I can have a dedicated room purely for music and film. If not I just can't imagine SWMBO (yes a reconciliation) agreeing to a 5.1 ML setup. If this is the case I'm still not 100% sure whether to go the "whole hog" with the slaves for AV as mentioned. I'm even considering a cabin/shed, if the garden size and funds permit. A few I've seen have cellars :cool: for a proper man cave retreat.

Hope China treats you well , cheers.

I watch films using a projector and a pretty big screen which drops down from the ceiling between my stereo speakers. It's terrific and I don't feel I'm missing anything by not having rear speakers.

The design looks fab, and the feature set is very promising (including future hardware and software expansions if required)... which means I'm looking forward to the final product ;-)

I would prefer a Pi2 'streamer card' to a more closed alternative, as this would satisfy the needs of the members of the Squeezebox tribe (myself included), as well the Apple contingent. Besides additional support/availability, I also think that there is less risk of obsolecene, as demonstrated by the move from the Pi to the Pi2 in the same form factor. Not a deal breaker either way (and I realise that Pis only have an Ethernet connection and no WiFi by default).

I watch films using a projector and a pretty big screen which drops down from the ceiling between my stereo speakers. It's terrific and I don't feel I'm missing anything by not having rear speakers.

With a proper AV processor , surrounds and sub via a BR player can really be fun to recreate a full on cinema experience.
The ML's soundstage are very impressive and can create an effect to a degree.
I just need to hear the difference before throwing 1000's into the AV pot.
Problem with the ML series is getting them in on demo.
The other issue with this is that I probably wouldn't source from a UK dealer.

If it can be add without delaying the project we will - but either way the Fusion DAC will have "optional" HDMI inputs which will allow multichannel support via the Fusion Master / Slave units or pure DSD extraction from compatible SACD players.

I'm very happy for this as we will now not need to develop a custom extraction card to be retrofitted to DVD / SACD / BR players :)

Hi John, I thought one of the main advantages of developing a custom interface for the Bluray player (e.g. Oppo) was to provide a clock-lock to the DAC. Will a standard HDMI interface provide for clock-locking?

Maybe those who currently have 'fusioned' MDACs and are going to have FWC could 'swap' for those who can only live with the original form factor.

Great idea (says a man who happens to have an MDAC Fusion and who will consider all reasonable offers once his FWC arrives) :)

Good idea! I would offer mine - it's a black fusioned MDAC. Location is Germany.

@John: I'm really thrilled by the progress this project has taken! And am very much looking forward to the FWC DAC :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back