advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00101000)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Roon supports AirPlay v2 so some of you might be good to go!

thats interesting. Any limitations with airplay?

Roon is defo going to be my listening method. I think its excellent, so I have to make it work somehow, even if it is an external PI

Alavan,

I did reply to your post but theres been so much recent traffic that I'm sure you missed it.

I'll arrange IAG China to send you a 230V ac PSU to you directly in Beijing.
Hi John,
Thank you so much! Here is my address:

[removed by moderator]

Shall I wait for them to contact me? How should I pay for this?

So VAT(25%)+import tax + handling fee(16£) are all likely to be added to the price of the fwc MDAC2 because it will be produced in and shipped from the HK rather than in the Czeck Republic?
Or did I misunderstand anything?
Kind regards
Peter

Hi JohnW,
Now with the partership with miniDSP do you think (maybe as a future upgrade) that hdmi will the possible?
How do you plan now to accomodate the slave units? Will they require a fwc each slave?
Can you please share the plans for the slaves now as things are changing?

Thanks

Hi John

There are probably a few that might like to know about this capability of HDMI input/output with miniDSP in the mix.

miniDSP have got HDMI on their Products so they have Licenses - these could prove to be most useful in setting up a FULLY LOADED REFERENCE HOME THEATER device with Slaves now!

Even change the Slot Loader for a Bluray/SACD transport? - these Drives OEM cannot be that much more than CD and oh so much more flexible with Bluray Audio coming in too. :)

You did mention the Digital Interface could be upgraded with our FWC DACs, so hopefully that means the OEM Optical Drive interface could be interchangeable, or at least have the capability of upgrading later?

Many thanks

Paul

PS. To make our DACs special, a John Westlake 'made with love' insignia would be terrific ;-)

So VAT(25%)+import tax + handling fee(16£) are all likely to be added to the price of the fwc MDAC2 because it will be produced in and shipped from the HK rather than in the Czeck Republic?
Or did I misunderstand anything?
Kind regards
Peter

I have asked John about this, because it works the other way around.

Item cost + packaging + shipping/insurance + import duty all these costs are summed then VAT is added to that total, then a handling fee for collecting the taxes. :eek:

Sure. Let's keep adding features :D

This.

Keep the goal in sight. A small slippage I can cope with, but if we start chasing rainbows and loading the goalposts onto a rocket ready to fire at the moon I will pull out. I want an actual physical 'very good' dac, rather than a fictional, unending project magical play/do everything device.

Leave the options there for future expansion. Interfaces my friends! MiniDSP have actually these resources...

Do you seriously want a locked down device that may become shadowed by a MiniDSP all singing and dancing version a year or less down the line?

HDMI is very useful in this era ...John may already have it in the pipeline now that we are with MiniDSP - he mentioned Upgradeable Digital interface ...might as well have a connector to add a BD drive too, which is more versatile than CD?

Doesn't mean it has to be in there right now. Thinking ahead :)

This.

Keep the goal in sight. A small slippage I can cope with, but if we start chasing rainbows and loading the goalposts onto a rocket ready to fire at the moon I will pull out. I want an actual physical 'very good' dac, rather than a fictional, unending project magical play/do everything device.

So you think hdmi, blueray drive etc would only result is a "small slippage".
Or is it because you are interested in this ;) :D

I expect John's DACs will smoke what you linked above. It's just Interfaces am enquiring about and I'll wait for John's reply ...hopefully this is on the cards and I'm sure I am not alone.

MiniDSP would probably sell a lot more in future as attracts both Stereo and Cinemaphile characters. Modular true High End 5.1 or more Cinema DACs ...wow

I expect John's DACs will smoke what you linked above.

It would, but given that many of the 6/7/8/9/ channels of surround sound have sod all on them why spend ££££.

Since acquiring Quad ESL's I don't even bother with a centre channel.

you don't need it.

I expect John's DACs will smoke what you linked above. It's just Interfaces am enquiring about and I'll wait for John's reply ...hopefully this is on the cards and I'm sure I am not alone.

MiniDSP would probably sell a lot more in future as attracts both Stereo and Cinemaphile characters. Modular true High End 5.1 or more Cinema DACs ...wow

And it was on John's plan to develop an audio extraction card for the oppo, so maybe now with minidsp in loop, the hdmi will be easier to sort out than doing the extraction card. If that's the case than Im definitely in for the slave units for multi channel decoding.
Of course it is not for now, just trying to understand if will be on the roadmap to order the slaves..

John, a question about the original M-DAC. I read some pages back in this thread that you mentioned about the “caps issue”. Did you find the root cause of these caps failing? Is it a case of poor quality caps used or do these caps fail due to another (external?) cause?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back