advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00101000)

Status
Not open for further replies.
+1 This is one issue i've pointed out in my latest post. I'm in for MDAC FWC and VFET amp but the costs raises due to the EUR/GBP rates. Isn't it possible to pay using EUR ?

Best regards
P.S.:
1 - This thread is moving so far that i can't find the cases projected designs
2 - Do you plan to make easy to install the CDP inside of the FWC so one could do it on DIY basis ? What could be the extra cost for the CDP option ?

No drawings yet - we working on them.

The slot loader will be a "Factory order" as we need a different front panel (with slot). but the loader is about US$35 so cost is OK.

I'd like to know what "effects" would included with the minidsp and what would be (if any) paying ones.

For me this project has reached a point, where I can no longer support the direction it takes. Emotions and belief seam to have won over rational project management, it was delivery-time for the MDAC2, know the ball starts rolling again. To my mind comes Sisyphos … so much to „Rock and a hard place“.

I know it’s harsh, so I’m very sorry for this John, but with your cellar full of unused 8200MBs and MDACs I hope there will be no 200 unused FWCs laying around there one day. I Really hope you guys get your dream-machines!!

After an uneven debate I would like to let everyone know, that I through in the towel. I hope there will be a fair exit for me and a proposal on what to do with three defective MDACs.

P.S.: There seam to be others, who managed to build very decent DACs on a small footprint … check out Resonessence Labs, exaSound or Mola-Mola.

Farewell everyone! ;)

I'd like to know what "effects" would included with the minidsp and what would be (if any) paying ones.

Initially the only Audio DSP function will be Bass & Treble "Tilt" type controls - the DSP will be used for system functions (such as the Advanced clock etc).

Payable ones will be advanced Room correction etc. - basically whatever miniDSP currently offer can be ported to the Fusion DAC.

Nutron,

Is it just a question of size? you understand there is no extra cost involved to you?

I cannot believe you find the save such an issue - the slave units can be hidden.

Hey John, appreciate what you are doing with the remote. Good to know, and the certainty for the project, thank you.

One question about configuration and remote commands however: are there any plans to be able to connect by any other means than IR such as a web applet or iOS/android device over wifi or Bluetooth etc? This isn't a request btw, just wondering if it's a possibility in the spec as you see it. I can imagine it would offer huge versatility for updates and feature additions.

Ps. Hope you're enjoying China. Have you eaten any unlucky fried kittens yet? :)

FWC it is then! :cool:

1. Does this mean we can still connect up to 3 slaves AND have sufficient digital inputs?

Yes - as we are now not rear panel space limited we can add a full complement of Digital I/O and Master / Slave DAC connectors 12V trigger etc. Previously I had a hard time finding the best connector arrangement on the limited rear panel space.

2. Can we get front panel headphone connectors or both front and rear?

The balanced headphone jack which now can be full size, is fitted on the rear - but with a direct access switch to select headphone mode.

3. You did mention a single pcb option earlier. Do we all get L3 (ADC) now?

We are looking in to the cost difference of the ADC section - now there as extra PCB space I can include a basic Phono MM/MC input....

Hey John, appreciate what you are doing with the remote. Good to know, and the certainty for the project, thank you.

One question about configuration and remote commands however: are there any plans to be able to connect by any other means than IR such as a web applet or iOS/android device over wifi or Bluetooth etc? This isn't a request btw, just wondering if it's a possibility in the spec as you see it. I can imagine it would offer huge versatility for updates and feature additions.

Ps. Hope you're enjoying China. Have you eaten any unlucky fried kittens yet? :)

Maybe - it depends if we can get access to the RF module software (which might be possible in time after a little relationship building).

BTW, the FWC Fusion DAC will support Spotify + Pandora etc. streaming which is not bad as I listen to news broadcast etc.

Is there a ball park figure on PCB and FWC plus shipping and taxes, and also what features the dac will actually have?

Custom duties!
Normal practice for HK and China is to ship a $5 'gift'.

... and which custom you think will accept that for full size dac package without opening the package? It's normally receiver's responsible to present required buying documents for custom and declared it in here. So good luck for you.

I'm not concern of custom duty which is normally few percent. I'm more concerned added cost of value-added tax which varies between 15 to 27 percent in EU countries. You can pick your own tax number.

Yes - as we are now not rear panel space limited we can add a full complement of Digital I/O and Master / Slave DAC connectors 12V trigger etc. Previously I had a hard time finding the best connector arrangement on the limited rear panel space.

For me, more digital inputs would definitely tip the scales towards FWC. I have 8 (!) S/PDIF sources, currently having to resort to a 2nd (non-M)DAC which I could then at last dispose of.

A method I have used before when shipping from far eastern countries is to mark up as 'prototype samples no commercial value' or 'faulty and unable to repair', but never have I don't this for so many parts. I imagine the legitimate route is probably the way to go particularly if it needs to be insured.

John, I totally support the FWC, especially with the slot loader option. It's what I would have wanted from the outset if I'm honest :)

"... and which custom you think will accept that for full size dac package without opening the package? It's normally receiver's responsible to present required buying documents for custom and declared it in here. So good luck for you."

I've seen it happen, there is simply too much to check.
it's the responsibility of the sender to make the correct declaration not the receiver - it's impossible the other way around

I try to follow this thread every few days but there are so many posts that I do not have the time to read each and every one.

I am not massively bothered by the time scale slippage and understand that John's motivations are less startup and more intellectual with the added advantage of hopefully some element of profit.

It looks like we are now on a new chassis and I am quite happy with that as long as it's black :).

I am slightly lost as to what the latest view on the total cost is likely to be?

Regards,

Kevin

Nutron,

Is it just a question of size? you understand there is no extra cost involved to you?

I cannot believe you find the save such an issue - the slave units can be hidden.

Thank you John! I very much appreciate your goodwill.

I clearly see there could be a even cost balance for me, but that is just to vague. Besides that, the form factor really matters to me. What happened to your idea for the MDAC2 as a studio DAC? Does a studio need a big and heavy high end chassis?

I don’t need all the additional stuff, the best shot miniDSP has on a DSP is a 24/96 equalizer, and even if they promised 192/24 for there Dirac solution, it has not happened. Let’s not talk about DSD processing …

I can not imagine that SQ can be much improved in 2 months, when the whole project took 4 years.

And last, I don’t see it happen, that the Fusion DAC will be there before christmas.

So, no thank you, I don’t want to go further. Let’s discuss the details in person when your back from china. I’m sure in an other friendly Skype call we will be able to sort things out. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back